Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Annoying carburettor behaviour. (Read 221 times)
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Annoying carburettor behaviour.
Reply #15 - 06/07/17 at 13:39:27

OK lets take braking to the extreme! He chops the throttle ,hits the brakes as hard as possible ,but doesn't pull the clutch in .Lets say he applies the rear brake to the point that the rear wheel stops or skids. What rpm is the motor turning at that point? the same speed as the rear wheel ! ZERO!  I 'm a little slow sometimes but I think most people would call that stalling.If you want to stop ,with a chance of not stalling squeeze in the clutch and brake at the same time! Instead of wasting the already limited power of the rear brake to stop the motor and the rear wheel from turning ,the braking force can be applied to the rear wheel alone ,stopping you faster. It's not rocket science,it's logic !I f your leaving the  clutch engaged to prevent rear wheel lock up ,it might be better to adjust the brake cable to a point where you can hit the brake as hard as possible without lockup and not have to be worried about it's use in panic stops.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 06/07/17 at 14:22:12

Because the clutch is engaged, the engine turns the rear wheel.
Using the brake to slow the wheel slows the engine.

Can you have it in fourth at ten MPH?
Zero?
You will kill the engine if you do a stop with the clutch engaged.

Do Everything you do when you practice a panic stop, but don't go fast. Do it once you hit fourth, just APPLY brakes, don't grab the clutch. See if it dies.
Slow down, jam on the back brake Just like you have been.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #17 - 06/07/17 at 15:16:06

Eau, I just re-read your first post (after reading Dave's responses). I assumed you were pulling the clutch along with the brake. I agree with Dave. It sounds like your stalling the bike.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #18 - 06/07/17 at 15:19:04

There is emergency stopping for when you want to avoid impact, then there is emergency stopping for when you need to minimize an unavoidable and inevitable impact. For the latter, I don't think staying in gear is gonna matter.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 06/08/17 at 02:01:54

This subject appear to be very similar to an oil thread....or one on countersteering - there just doesn't seem to be a universal agreement on the subject.  Just do what works the best for you........

In the "panic" stop that requires you to brake at the absolute maximum level.....leaving the bike in gear under full braking will most likely cause you to either stall the engine as you brake as hard as you possibly can and say in control - or it will increase your stopping distance as you must also overcome the momentum of the spinning engine at the same time you are slowing the bike down. In a 60 mph to 0 mph stop you are traveling at 88 ft/s, and they claim the reaction time will use up 132 feet ....and the braking will require 172 feet - all of this in less than 5 panic filled seconds.  You don't have time to start downshifting.....and at some point you have to pull in the clutch as your speed drops toward 0.  In that scenario.....my engine will likely have stalled in the process.....and I really don't care as I have other things on my mind in that 5 seconds.  When the emergency is over I hit the starter button - and continue on my way (hopefully).

I realized that my comment on my engine stopping likely is not a good indicator about what should happen on a stock engine/stock CV carb bike.  I set my carb jetting up using an oxygen sensor, it runs great and has a nice tan spark plug, and it is tuned properly.  I have a VM round slide carb, bigger cam, Wiseco piston....and what my engine does may not reflect very well what the stock engine will do.  The CV carb does have the TEV to help correct the lean condition that is created when you allow the throttle to close fully under high vacuum conditions - and it likely does do some good when it is working well.

« Last Edit: 06/08/17 at 03:05:43 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 06/08/17 at 09:50:26

This might be a little off-topic but I didn't think this warranted a whole new thread.

Can a carb be tuned then removed, a new carb put on for a while, then have them switched back without the first one needing to be completely reworked again?

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 06/08/17 at 09:59:20

Yes, but if you make any other modifications to the intake, exhaust or engine, you might need to retune the first carb.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #22 - 06/08/17 at 09:59:31

Eegore wrote on 06/08/17 at 09:50:26:
Can a carb be tuned then removed, a new carb put on for a while, then have them switched back without the first one needing to be completely reworked again?

If no other variables in the bike are altered, why not?  If you change anything such as exhaust, air filter, etc. you can expect to need to make adjustments to accommodate. Moving from one location to another (considerable change i elevation) could warrant adjustments. In some places summer versus winter have drastic enough changes in air density and temperature to warrant slight adjustments.

I think the answer is YES, but that all depends on how long it sits on the shelf and what happens by the time you reinstall it.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 06/08/17 at 10:02:09

LOL beat you to it Stew, by seconds!

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 06/08/17 at 10:05:07

I doubt it would be long.  I will have one tuned by someone that knows how and I will try to do it on the second carb.  The bike wont have any changes made however there might be a significant altitude change depending on where I am at the time.  

I just like to have a spare part in case I damage things, and I try if possible to keep a third in stock.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #25 - 06/08/17 at 11:38:45

ohiomoto wrote on 06/08/17 at 10:02:09:
LOL beat you to it Stew, by seconds!

Do you mind checking with me first next time?  Angry  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 22:25:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Annoying carburettor behaviour.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.