Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
rear tire replacement done, am I hearing new noise (Read 173 times)
ero4444

weekender

rear tire replacement done, am I hearing new noise
05/29/17 at 13:11:27

rear tire replacement done, am I hearing new noises?  I promise I looked for old topics that might have covered this issue, but did not find any.

It's still up on the lift, and everything except the beltguard and pulleyguard is bolted back on.  I did a wheel spin and I'm wishing I'd spun the original tire before I took it apart, because now I hear a click-click from the (front) pulley.  It kinda sounds like ballbearings clicking.  

Belt and wheel alignments seem ok, no squeak, the rear adjusters are even (2 notches from full forward, a little shorter than when I took them off!), where the belt tension lets me twist it no more than 90degrees by hand.  Since there was a small amount of rearpulley wiggle, I did add the rubber mat shim that stewmills cut out, to the rear pulley.

Also now the rear brake makes an unfamiliar clunk when stopping the free-spinning wheel, but it does stop pretty smoothly.  It doesn't clunk when the wheel is still.  

Should I look inside the brake, or change tension?   I tried loosening the belt and the click doesn't change much, maybe a tiny bit quieter.

This is the first time I've replaced the rear tire so I am a little anxious.  

« Last Edit: 05/29/17 at 15:37:51 by ero4444 »  

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: rear tire replacement done, am I hearing new n
Reply #1 - 05/29/17 at 14:59:36

Move the shift lever a bit and see if maybe the bike isn't fully in neutral.  Check for a stone in the belt or pulley teeth.

Be sure the nut on the front pulley is tight.....a loose pulley nut can trash the splines on the output shaft, and that generally leads to buying a used engine - as it is a lot of work to tear an engine completely down, and the replacement gaskets and seals are costly.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #2 - 05/29/17 at 15:37:25

ok will do an update this evening - thx.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 05/29/17 at 16:36:17

I've never found that I had to remove the guard over the front pulley ,did you remove the belt? If you did and put it back on the opposite way the "teeth" may make a bit of noise as they are "new " to the pulley.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 05/30/17 at 06:46:57

Yeah, all good questions. I have had my rear wheel off multiple times and never experienced any new noises with the front pulley or rear brake.  

On the front pulley, I have had a stick caught between the outside of the belt and the engine case and it made a really bizarre noise. Until I took the front pulley cover off and removed it I was really confused.  

This appears not to be your issue as your guard isn't on, but NOTE on the front pulley cover, there are three bolts and not all three are the same length, and each has a metal spacer that goes on there along with the rubber bushings. IF you have one of the short bolts where a long bolt should be, it could be that you have the cover tightened down too far on that spot and it is causing the cover to rub the belt or pulley in that spot?  Take the cover off and flip it over and look for shiny/clean spots where something would be rubbing, and double check the placements of your bolt lengths. I can't remember off hand where the long and short go, but if it isn't obvious once you look at the cover and posts, come back here and we can try and help you or fine related posts that may discuss this for you.

On the rear brake, if you cleaned the drum it may cause the brake to bite harder and quicker than you remember. If the rear axle is not tight it can cause noises that would otherwise not be there so make sure it is snug.  Note on the drum assembly that there is the "female" slot that slides over the "male" tab on the right-rear swingarm.  If that is not in place then what you are hearing is the whole drum assembly rotating and hitting the frame.  It's kinda hard to miss this on reassembly, but I have done.

Also, does your rear tire have balancing beads in it?  My Ninja has them (PO installed them) and the first time I had the rear tire lifted for maintenance and was spinning the tire I could not figure our what that crazy noise was.  Doubt this is your issue but wanted to share for reference.

Lastly, look at your belt. Are there new rub marks where you can see the belt has been rubbing?

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #5 - 05/30/17 at 19:49:21

ok yesterday I took it out for a motorized spin and didn't notice anything terrible while the engine was running, but of course I would not hear the pulley(or maybe it's the belt that sounds like clicks).   I forgot to try the rear brake.

Today I rolled it around engine-off and braked some - the brake still clunks, and the pulley still clicks with every 1.5-2 teeth, so it's not a stone in the belt.  I did not take the entire belt off the the front pulley so it's running the same direction.  I can feel the clicks in the belt with my finger, I did not really expect that.  The pulley cover and beltguard are still off (I kept the bolts in the cover).  Shift is fully neutral a couple of times.  Still sounds like semi irregular ball bearings banging into each other, rolling forward and back.  I did not look at the belt before changing, so new rub marks are not apparent to me.  

That nut on the pulley, shoot - I can get a hold of it, it turns with the pulley and belt, I do have 1.25inch socket.  It's too late in the evening to use the impact wrench (it sets off the alarm system).  I don't think it's loose though.  87ft-pounds torque?

Tire balancing good question, I bought the beads first, stalled on doing the wheel, then decided to use balancing goo instead.  Still have to take the leftover weight off.  

It's got so few miles, could the frontpulley really be loose on the splines?

The shoes and drum were hardly used, I just blew it out a little.  I figure it's still lubed up with dust.  The swingarm tab is in the brake arm slot - yup I was tired after wrestling with the tire, but I did not miss the tab on the second attempt to reassemble.  I did not look carefully inside the shoe assembly - really sounds like something inside the drum, clunking during braking.

I'm thinking 1. tweak rear alignment  2. lose tension  3. center belt in both pulleys.  4. take belt off (not sure how) and see if the pulley clicks with no load at all.  oops 5. look inside the shoe assembly.

#3, I assume is not really possible, the belt will probably always drift to one edge of each pulley - right?  But maybe I can reduce the rubbing force, if that is the cause.  The belt looks like it's rubbing the same edges as before (the old fringes remain on the non-rubbing edges).

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #6 - 05/31/17 at 08:05:18

Ero, try to adjust the belt by watching where it closely centers on the rear pulley REGARDLESS of the tick marks on the swingarm. If your working situation allows you to rotate the wheel in neutral, you can adjust the 'adjusters' back and forth until you see the belt tracking relatively centered on the rear pulley, and it is better to have a hair too much slack than too little because IIRC the geometry of the bike tightens the belt when the rear is compressed under rider load. It may be that with the pulley shim it makes your swingarm tick marks slightly off now.  

Try that and see if it makes any difference. Sounds to me like the noises I heard when putting on my new KAW front pulley because there is almost no extra slack in the belt and it would "click" as each belt tooth rolled around and snapped into the pulley, but it resolved once I had it all lined up and adjusted properly.

Also, MAKE SURE your spacers on the rear axle are on the correct left and right side.  That can really screw things up.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 05/31/17 at 11:07:27

Front pulley should be torqued to 94 ftlbs, it helps to tighten the rear brake adjustment nut all the way forward (locking the rear brake) and stick a pipe or breaker bar through the rear pulley and under both sides of the swingarm.this will lock the rear wheel and the belt locks up the front pulley. I would have the trans in neutral to not hurt the gears when applying the torque.

IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #8 - 06/05/17 at 14:10:55

thanks for yall's input - I loosened and aligned rearpulley to center the belt a bit more, tension seems less than before I replaced the tire, but the frontpulley click is almost unnoticeable now (engine-off), and a longer test ride showed no problems with the power or handling.  The rear brake still clunks but it is so hard to hear under power, that it might have been making the noise for years.

So I'll "seriously consider" re-opening the drumbrake when I have nothing better to do (hard to imagine).

I will carry a few more tools since the belt seems a little looser than I remember, just in case.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 06/05/17 at 15:05:02

ero4444,there is no problem caused by a belt that's "to loose" all the tension is on the top of the belt.If bottom of the belt isn't scraping the ground ,  Roll Eyes it's not too loose. when you adjust the belt tension the bike is jacked up and the swingarm is hanging down,when you ride anytime the swingarm  is level with the road is when the belt is at it's longest and that's when the slack is needed.If you see the bottom center of the belt hanging down (1/2 inch?) that is not a reason to readjust,it's normal.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 06/06/17 at 02:07:24

I run my belt far looser than the "90 degree twist white fingernail test", and I have had no problems in the nearly 10,000 miles that I have ridden the bike.  I believe a tad loose is better than too tight.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:28:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › rear tire replacement done, am I hearing new noise

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.