Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
LED DAYMAKER STYLE HEADLIGHT (Read 287 times)
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
LED DAYMAKER STYLE HEADLIGHT
04/27/17 at 11:05:19

« Last Edit: 05/17/17 at 08:22:45 by Dave »  
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: LED Headlight Bulb
Reply #1 - 04/27/17 at 11:42:10

After being wholly disappointed in the LED lights in my Vegas 7" bucket.
I got one of these Jeep conversion lights.  Haven't had the chance to get it on the road yet.

WWW   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #2 - 04/27/17 at 13:32:41

SALB, you can get the Daymaker lights on eBay for a lot less. I will make time one of these weekends to go by the HD dealership and see if I can get a used bucket that is in good shape for just a few bucks. If I can I will be ordering a Daymaker headlamp. I want to see if I can get it all for $70.00 or less, preferably less.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #3 - 04/27/17 at 13:46:38

Tocsik, Thanks for the info on the handguards. You would not think someone who grew-up outside Buffalo would get cold hands riding in a Fla winter, but I do! 2 weeks ago in Columbia SC with 42 degree mornings I would have liked them also.

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #4 - 04/27/17 at 14:21:46

springman wrote on 04/27/17 at 13:32:41:
SALB, you can get the Daymaker lights on eBay for a lot less. I will make time one of these weekends to go by the HD dealership and see if I can get a used bucket that is in good shape for just a few bucks. If I can I will be ordering a Daymaker headlamp. I want to see if I can get it all for $70.00 or less, preferably less.

I just threw that out there as an example.  I can't seem to find any info on which ones are DOT compliant (except the one I referenced), but Ebay has them as low as $50 and also in 5.75 inch.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 04/27/17 at 14:54:47

badwolf wrote on 04/24/17 at 10:49:01:
Dave, I swapped the housing also when doing the bulb. Went with a post mount metal one. Like this--

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-3-4-Chrome-Headlight-Shell-with-Bottom-Mounted-Head...

This one is similar to the Vegas shell I got but mine is 7".
As you can see it comes with a bezel and a positioning plate.
I needed to make a gasket to fit between the bezel and the headlight.
It was just a little loose.

Because the daymaker is a projection lens, I don't think it'll matter whether it's 7 or 6" as the projection lenses are smaller anyway.

WWW   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #6 - 04/27/17 at 19:29:39

Salb, most of the time on eBay they don't indicate if DOT approved. But if you enlarge the picture you can see the DOT stamp on the lens. Careful though, the cheaper ones actually say TOP so you know that side is up, but lack the DOT marking.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #7 - 04/27/17 at 19:33:21

Versi, I just emailed the ebay seller to ask if the 5.75" daymaker lamp will fit in that housing without any modifications. I'll let you know what they say.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #8 - 04/27/17 at 20:23:56

springman, That housing looks just like the one I used. The bulb interfered on the back edge and I filed it down with a rasp to fit in. NOT the most ideal thing, but it worked. No room for any of the wiring that should go in there. You'll have to figure out what to do to hide it. The mount adapter is not too hard to make.
If you order it be sure you can send it back if it don't work. I would try to find one that looks longer.
Good luck.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #9 - 04/28/17 at 09:17:26

Thanks Badwolf.

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #10 - 04/28/17 at 09:34:46

springman wrote on 04/27/17 at 19:29:39:
Salb, most of the time on eBay they don't indicate if DOT approved. But if you enlarge the picture you can see the DOT stamp on the lens. Careful though, the cheaper ones actually say TOP so you know that side is up, but lack the DOT marking.

Thanks for the hint.   Smiley

IP Logged
GreasyJonny
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/12/17 at 07:04:29

So I read through this thread, great read. Figured I throw my 2 cents in. I'm ignorant to most things about this bike (recent acquisition) but I understand basic circuitry (recent manufacturing and engineering grad). For those concerned with the 30w heat dump at the rectifier, my idea was if you measured the resistance of the original bulb, measured the resistance of the new LED (which might be higher than we expect because of the onboard circuitry) and put a resister (that matched the difference) in series with the bulb you should be able to maintain the same current. I double checked that general principle with our electrical engineer and said without doing the calculations it was a sound principle. He had a hard time believing the system wasn't regulated though, but I deferred to your expertise on that matter. Can you guys elaborate though on how this system operates without being regulated? Thanks,

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 05/12/17 at 07:23:09

The system has a rectifier/regulator under the seat, it is bolted to the back fender.  The concern was not that it isn't regulated - the concern is that the regulator works by dumping the left over energy into a resistor and it creates heat.  When you take a 40 watt headlight out of the system and install a 20 watt LED.....those 20 watts are "excess" if you don't use them somewhere else - so the rectifier/regulators just adds those 20 watts to the energy that is is going to "dump" as heat.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #13 - 05/12/17 at 07:31:25

Versi, I had forgotten. I did get a response back from the seller. But the response was that he did not know. Shocked

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 05/12/17 at 07:36:40

What we have is a 3 phase generator, permanent magnets.
Regulation (if you can call it that) is done at the outlet.
3 zener diodes shunt the surplus voltage to ground.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 08:21:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › LED DAYMAKER STYLE HEADLIGHT

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.