Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
front pulley mod (Read 115 times)
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
front pulley mod
06/05/17 at 21:32:48

Hi, I think I remember seeing a graph someone posted showing the difference that Dave's front pulley mod made to the speeds shown but can I find it? No is the simple answer to that, could someone please point me in the right direction-thanks

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: front pulley mod
Reply #1 - 06/05/17 at 22:21:48

I wanna say it's an 8.9ish % gearing increase, maybe less, but it starts with 8,,
It's really nice. It's a lot more relaxed at open road speeds.
It's still got fun acceleration. The only downside I've seen is in town where the limit is low. Instead of shifting up and just rolling along I worry about lugging it, and I have marked the speedometer with a China marker with the shift points and MPH .
IF your speedometer was accurate before the pulley swap then indicated 60 MPH will now be so close to 65 that nobody will know.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 06/06/17 at 02:03:24

I don't believe a chart has been made for the Kawasaki pulley - but here is the link to the thread on the charts.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1341164470

The pulley change is 25/23 = 1.087%.  So 60 mph is now 65.2....real close to what JOG said - but you are in the UK so 100 Kph is not 108.7 KPH!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #3 - 06/06/17 at 03:45:44

Thanks for that Dave and JOG2-Dave we still do it the proper way in the U.K. good old mph none of this dodgy kph, the europeans only invented kph so it sounds like they're going faster than us  Wink

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #4 - 06/06/17 at 14:52:02

Just to make sure :  What year and model can a Kawasaki front pulley be used ?   Thanks.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 06/06/17 at 15:12:12

I don't know for sure the entire list of models/years.  The EN454 from 85-90 works.....and the Vulcan 500....... but I don't know what years.

But it is not a "bolt on" deal. without some work on a lathe or milling machine.  The pulley has to be machined thinner where the shaft slides through - and the splines are hardened and pretty tough on the carbide cutting tools (frequent sharpening).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:24:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › front pulley mod

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.