Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
extended forks (Read 588 times)
Graven754

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

extended forks
05/16/17 at 05:21:58

So I'm working on making my bike a chopper. I'm more interested in raising the front in via extended forks than going with a rake. I'm curious what all is involved with changing out your forks, where to get them, how much it cots, etc. Links to products would be even more appreciated.

IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Re: extended forks
Reply #1 - 05/16/17 at 07:16:43

Hey All, I would love to hear commentary on this also. Not looking to extend forks per say, more inclined to install the AME kit at 9º. This may sound crazy, but does anyone know of possibly an AME kit (9º) someone is looking to sell? Either bought it and didn't install or installed and want to go back or maybe bike died and not fixing it or project they just can't find the time to complete.

There is a discussion somewhere in the past, where someone put 4" longer tubes in the stock triple trees, if I can relocate it I will post the link.

IP Logged
Blade

Sydney   Australia
Reply #2 - 05/16/17 at 07:38:29

Stock triple trees, with +4" forks from Franks Forks here is their website:
http://www.frankmain.qpg.com/

or search them on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/forkingbyfrank/

Process was: remove original forks, replace with new. Kept the original kickstand, bike leans a bit more than before.

customs_house1_001.jpg
  IP Logged
Blade

Sydney   Australia
Reply #3 - 05/16/17 at 07:51:20

Cost a year ago was US$319 plus shipping.

Before and after:
2.png  

2.png
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 05/16/17 at 08:09:43

How many miles did you ride stock?
What's it Like, compared to stock?
Did you notice any problems with maneuverability?
At some point, the angle of the tubes plus the friction inside the forks plus the springs and resistance of fluid passing through orifices would seem to tend to flex the tubes rather than compress the suspension.
I can't walk past a Springer and not study the design. The torque of braking should counter the Dive.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #5 - 05/16/17 at 10:17:15

Blade, one of the discussions I was refering to in my post was about your bike. Funny I actually saved the lower picture, in comparison you posted, in my idea file. I was wondering about the forward controls on your ride, where are they form? Maybe some info on them.

IP Logged
Blade

Sydney   Australia
Reply #6 - 05/17/17 at 01:50:19

JOG, I had the bike for around five years and around 5000 miles in stock form before putting on the longer forks. The ride is not discernably better or worse, but the smile factor is 10 fold.

No maneuverability problems, but the geometry dictates that the turning circle must be wider. There is no flexing evident at this length and I have read that fork suppliers don't recommend putting forks longer than 4 inches over into stock trees possibly for that reason. As a precaution against twisting I put a Superbrace on the forks.

SoC, the forward control plates  (and linkages, seat, sissy bar, rear rack and tail assembly) were "Made by Blade". Rather than hijack this thread, I'll post all the details in the bike project section.

IP Logged
marekbuk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

West Yorkshire, UK
Reply #7 - 05/17/17 at 08:02:44

I just bought this LS650 just so I could have that 'chopper' experience - I'm quite happy with my S40 Bobber but I saw this one on eBay and you can never have too many Savages in your stable - the bike was built by an Australian engineer living in Germany and then imported to the UK 3 years ago

IMG_5065.jpeg
  IP Logged
marekbuk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

West Yorkshire, UK
Reply #8 - 05/17/17 at 08:04:16

Here's another pic

IMG_5066.jpeg
  IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #9 - 05/17/17 at 08:51:17

Marebuk, another photo for my idea file. That is one of the nicer chop builds I have seen on a Savage. Simple and clean utilizing a lot of original parts. Is front end an AME 14º kit? Makes me rethink and consider going one-up for mine.

Blade looking forward to your post with details. As I'm realively new not sure where Bike Project section is, is it Build section in Rubber side down?

IP Logged
marekbuk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

West Yorkshire, UK
Reply #10 - 05/17/17 at 09:45:53

SoC - not sure about the make of the forks but they do seem to work well - I've only taken the bike for a short ride - I'm waiting for the rain to stop falling here in the UK. Rubber side down has some projects in there

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 05/17/17 at 13:29:34

I'd take a more reserved approach on our bike ,where a 4" extension may be fine ,there are reasons to not use a 14  degree tree and longer tubes.Our bike already has a 35 degree rake(larger than most bikes) ,adding the tree would make that 49 degrees ,that and longer tubes to give normal ground clearance under the frame would put a lot of stress on fork seals,forktubes , and neck bearings, and watching the neck sway a couple of inches back and forth at every turn (from having to turn the front end much farther to allow the bike to lean and corner )may be a bit scary .Ever ask yourself why these "cool " bikes are for sale? Maybe someone's dream turned into a nightmare, but it looks good!

« Last Edit: 05/17/17 at 16:51:11 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #12 - 05/17/17 at 16:51:07

I don't think it looks good. Style over substance!

Just my opinion.
I can't imagine how it would handle. Horrible!
However, I defend his right to make the bike into anything he wants. :'(

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #13 - 05/17/17 at 17:03:15

Norm I do too, I'm just trying to worn him that on the zuk there is a limit to how far you can go ,before it causes problems or poor handling .I don't see the use of 4 inch over tubes being bad as that only changes the neck angle by a couple of degrees ,but the 14 degree tree may be a bit radical.Having driven some choppers in the way back,I'm aware of just how bad the handling and flex can be.In order for the front end to function the angle of the tubes Must be less than 45 degrees ,other wise they won't retract ,they just flex upward and could fail over time.That blue bike above may look cool,at the bike show ,but you won't see me on it as  I ride to live.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #14 - 05/17/17 at 17:36:41

Batman, thanks for the info, I was wondering what the stock rake on bike was. It's one of the specs/dimensions you often can't easily find. You also brought up some good points.

Me personally would never consider a 14º kit as it's too long and like you mentioned probably could creat a little instability in the whole thing.

The recommended new tubes with an AME 9º kit are 4" longer as I understand it. Apparently that maintains the bike level on front to back axis. The AME kits are distributed by ChoperSupply here in the states. I have reached out to them by email for some detailed info on the kits but they were not too forthcoming, particularly in the follow-up to my initial inquiry. I don't think it's they don't have a full understanding of the complete engineering and applications it may be more they just don't want to take the time to explain it all. When I requested some additional detailed follow-up they weren't overly supportive. They may be better on phone if I had called, just didn't want to waste their time until I scrape up the $2300 plus a kit from them costs.

AME claims they basically maintain the trail on the bike. I don't have a complete understanding of the kit and components though, just a surmise of how it all goes together from what sketchy technical I have been able to locate on web.

Basically, the kit not only includes new trees, it also includes new inserts/bushings for the frame tube. Unlike the stock tube inserts/bushings they have some sort of offset built into them that basically simulates a cut and reweld of the frame. That is, unlike the standard set up where the bolt basically passes through the tube in alignment with it, the new inserts change that, creating an offset so that the bolt and tube are no longer in parallel. With that though I may be wrong, like said I surmised it from info I have been able to review.

It does result in a difference in handling, though the claim is only slight with the 9º kit. Don't want to go into the whole math and angles discussion, it been hashed over before in other threads. It basically is a trade off for a little less maneuverability at low speed for a little more stability at high speed and a little less dip when on the front brake hard.

If anyone has experience with the kit and install would love to get some feedback from them. I have communicated with Arteacher who had the  9º kit and he recommended it as an improvement for his type of riding.

It's all about the exchange of ideas and info and I'd appreciate any specifc details folks may have about all this.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 01:17:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › extended forks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.