Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
How did you learn mechanics? (Read 347 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: How did you learn mechanics?
Reply #30 - 05/16/17 at 07:21:03

My dad was a helicopter mechanic in Vietnam and after coming back he opened a service station/repair shop for a bit before opening a construction business. For all of my childhood he raced dirt track cars and for a few years we raced ARCA super speedway (Talladega, Atlanta, etc. in the Southeast) cars.

I didn't exactly follow in my dad's footsteps as far as the racing bug, my big brother did, but growing up around this environment I learned the most important lesson, which is NOT to be scared to try!  If my bicycle had a flat tire, dad would point to the repair kit and wrenches and say "let me know if you have any trouble" and I was probably 9 or 10 years old. I didn't get it at the time, but he was teaching me more than I realized.  To this day, there are things I have never worked on but it doesn't take but a split second for me to grab a tool and start investigating and taking things apart without really thinking about what I am doing.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #31 - 05/16/17 at 12:26:07

I used to like to play in the town dump. One day I found a box of rusty, broken hammers. I started to bash everything, especially things that made noise. A guy saw me, and offered me a job as a mechanic at his Harley dealership.
Roll Eyes

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #32 - 05/16/17 at 13:28:56

Was always interested in how stuff works.
I was constantly taking things apart when I was a kid, but as my mom will testify, couldn't always get them back together.

I took Small Engine Repair class in high school and really enjoyed it but not everything stuck with me; typical teenager (plus, that was 35 years ago).  We took apart and rebuilt lawn mower engines and got to learn about 4-stroke and 2-stroke engines.  Learned about piston ring compressors, crankshafts, magnetos, valves and reed valves in the 2-strokes.  Some guys were way ahead of the rest of us and brought in motorcycle engines to work on.  Teacher was Mr. Overbay.  He wore grey coveralls and was missing half of 2 fingers and most of another!

As an adult, YouTube has turned out to be an amazing resource.  Learned how to sweat copper pipe, frame walls, drywall, install wood flooring and definitely found help for mechanical needs.  I am a committed do-it-yourselfer but need the basic knowledge first.

I tinkered with my 150cc scooter (at the age of 45 or so) prior to getting the Savage.  Changed my own tires, replaced the brake pads and shoes and made dozens of changes to the CV transmission.  That all came about because that particular scooter also has a rabid fan base willing to share and teach.  

When I got the Savage I changed the oil, swapped the petc0ck, raised the front of the seat and put on new front brake pads.  Those are great places to start working on this bike.  I moved on to taking the wheels off myself and getting the new tires mounted at a shop and then re-installing the wheels myself. Instructions for these things can all be found here on this amazing site.  I have even done the cam chain tensioner by reading all the tutorials here.  And yeah, things can look a little scary inside that right side engine cover but you only deal with a little of it for the CCT.

I would say to take it slow and easy.  Use this site for your bike and wait for the good advice to flow in once you post a question.  Read through tutorials a few times before you tackle a new project to be sure you catch all the tidbits that can make a big difference (like fastener torque and Clymer errors).  You'll get to the point where you start coming up with your own variations on things.  As time goes on, you'll be making contributions to the next new guy behind you.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #33 - 05/16/17 at 13:29:41

Armen wrote on 05/16/17 at 12:26:07:
I used to like to play in the town dump. One day I found a box of rusty, broken hammers. I started to bash everything, especially things that made noise. A guy saw me, and offered me a job as a mechanic at his Harley dealership.
Roll Eyes

That's funny, right there.  Yup.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #34 - 05/16/17 at 18:36:56

I learned a lot from my dad.  He did all of his own work on our cars, from basic maintenance to full rebuilds, and also built some of the houses that we lived in.  He was a jet engine mech. for United and American Airlines.  I also spent a lot of time with my Grandpa Eslick who was a farmer (peach orchards in N. CA.) and was always working on and fixing his equipment, tractors, cars & trucks.  I spent my high school summers working for him in the orchards. We have a been mechanical family.  I really wish I had spent more time with my dad when he was working on things.  He was always asking me and I would help for a time but was always wanting to go somewhere.  I regret that.
I got tools for Christmas when I had my own car.  My first car was a 1971 Chevelle SS396 with 4 spd.
First bike was a Suzuki 150 2 stroke twin.  That little thing was bullet proof.  Every dollar made during my junior/senior H.S. summer went to buy it.  Then my brother found a BSA he thought was really cool, so I went to look and we bought it, a '56 Goldstar DBD.  It was the first big single I had ever ridden; been a fan ever since.  My first Savage was a Fathers Day gift from my son...yesa good boy !

IP Logged
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Reply #35 - 05/23/17 at 05:41:03

Thanks for all the great stories... you are all an inspiration! The more I time I spend reading and with a wrench in my hand, the more confidence builds Smiley

US Navy (99-03). Novice, self-taught mechanic. 2003 Savage with 44k miles. 2015 S-40 with 5k miles.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #36 - 05/23/17 at 05:55:31

Never think you can not learn......

I was mid 50 and did a career change from a trade I knew extremely well.
I was the proverbial fish out of water....
Not only did I learn a new trade, doing such also had much positive effects on things I had not even known were possible, that extended beyond learning a new trade.
Willingness is the most important element, and lose the pride and ego, do not be afraid to admit ignorance and ask questions, repeatedly if needed

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #37 - 05/23/17 at 10:03:25

Yeah Ray invented the fishnet speedo bathing suit ! Grin Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #38 - 05/23/17 at 11:07:53

COOL! My wife and girlfriends said Thanks..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Reply #39 - 05/25/17 at 22:01:10

Bwahahaha!

Hey, Ray, if it's not too personal, what career did you come from and move to?

US Navy (99-03). Novice, self-taught mechanic. 2003 Savage with 44k miles. 2015 S-40 with 5k miles.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #40 - 05/25/17 at 22:06:31

He told me he was a female impersonator In New Orleans back in 73. That's when he was designing the outfits, too. That's when the fishnets were big.. well, it sounded okay, but it looks bad in print.
Ray knew the value of a dollar. And how many it took to mess up the elastic on his Speedo.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #41 - 05/25/17 at 23:48:14

raydawg wrote on 05/23/17 at 05:55:31:
Never think you can not learn......

I was mid 50 and did a career change from a trade I knew extremely well.
I was the proverbial fish out of water....
Not only did I learn a new trade, doing such also had much positive effects on things I had not even known were possible, that extended beyond learning a new trade.
Willingness is the most important element, and lose the pride and ego, do not be afraid to admit ignorance and ask questions, repeatedly if needed

That's inspirational stuff for me Raydawg. I'm nudging fifty and have shifted to a completely new life in many ways. I would love to learn this trade. Starting slowly but the trajectory feels right.

I've also discovered that working on and riding a bike has far reaching benefits beyond working on and riding a bike!

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #42 - 05/26/17 at 15:19:33

Yeah you might look good in high heels.  Grin Grin Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 04:13:07

General CategoryThe Cafe › How did you learn mechanics?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.