Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
How did you learn mechanics? (Read 347 times)
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Re: How did you learn mechanics?
Reply #15 - 05/15/17 at 04:21:39

It's similar here Dave. This is a tourist area with lots of holliday homes. The most common problem is stale fuel in the carb (and occasionally mud wasp nests in the exhaust).

Every small town around here has a mower shop so the experience is really useful to me. Plus I can take home old machines and pull them apart if I want to see how they tick.

We get the occasional road bike in for repairs. That always creates a buzz. Both the guys I work with ride older style bikes - Kawasaki 400 And Honda 750. And the classic bike events at the GP track usually bring in people looking for odd bits and pieces for repairs on the run.

It's good fun.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #16 - 05/15/17 at 06:30:52

I learned from internet forums, youtube, shop manuals, and trial & error.

My dad has never really been mechanically inclined. He'd do stuff like change out a toilet flusher or a random light fixture but that was about it. It's a shame too because my first car was a 68 Mustang. It would have been a perfect thing for us to learn stuff on but everything was done by the local dealer.

Now I just pick stuff up by doing maintenance and small repairs on my motorcycles and cars. I'm slowly building up the tool collection one repair at a time.

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #17 - 05/15/17 at 06:55:41

I'm in my mid 30s by the way. I didn't really start doing any sort of mechanical work other than oil changes on a motorcycle until I was in my mid 20s.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 05/15/17 at 08:33:43

It's a shame too because my first car was a 68 Mustang.

Crimea Rivver..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dagillespi

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NW Pennsylvania
Reply #19 - 05/15/17 at 09:27:27

I worked on stuff with my Grandpa when I was younger a bit. I always helped my dad with the oil changes back when I was a kid. Then at 17 I started working in my uncle's body shop and learned some more there. Now I've done a lot to the my jeep too lifted it locked the axles and all that goes with it. I had the dirtbike to work on growing up and some crotch rockets that I did the usual bolt ons. But this bike is the first one I've really torn into cutting welding and such. I just built my own sissybar a few weeks ago and that was a good example of learning. YouTube it then do it and see how it turns out.

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #20 - 05/15/17 at 11:34:25

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/15/17 at 08:33:43:
It's a shame too because my first car was a 68 Mustang.

Crimea Rivver..

I wasn't saying that it was a shame that I had the car, just a shame that I didn't use it as a learning tool. Most likely it would have turned into just learning how to remove rusted hardware because the car was 30 years old at the time.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #21 - 05/15/17 at 14:28:52

like a lot of these guys, I startedwith  pushies when I was a kid. that and "helping" dad with little jobs on his aeroplanes. then he bought me a 2 litre cortina that needed anengine rebuild before I could drive it. learned a lot on that car. I did a diesel mechanic apprenticeship in a coal mine in  flinders ranges. when that ended I worked for an old boss there who'd bought a bush garage. I learned a lot there, too. Raced dirt circuit and bike, builts some street machines (350 powered LJ GTR Torana Smiley  and others ) after, moved to the city worked a few years in a 4wd workshop before a career change. I was never the best mechanic, but not the worst, either. while I was apprentice at the coal mine I bought a Ducati. I still keep it around and it reminds me of how hamfisted I could be back then. still runs great though. keep up the good work. maybe I'll have a chance to swing by and say gday some day.

IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #22 - 05/15/17 at 17:54:21

Started as a teenager, my dad was in motor pool in Army, he wasn't real fond of turning a wrench, though I think he knew how, but got me started when I was pretty young "helping" work the on family cars. My first major attempt at a real repairs were up grades to my first dirt bike, a 1972 Yamaha LT2 100 Enduro. At 15 tore down top end to replace piston and rings as I had no way to get it to repair shop and even if I did, couldn't afford the mechanic. Once I started driving had a series of muscle cars which were constant upgrade and fix.  Spent some time studying Mechanical Engineering in college before changing my major to somethng a little more party friendly like accounting.
Throughout life, mostly did my own vehicle repairs, was lucky that I have my own fabrication business and shop and could pull vehicle in or leave it on stands in parking lot (it's in an industrial park) anything as long as it didn't require a lift.
When a little more established in life moved from small daysail boats to large sailboats, you want a shocker have a mobile diesel mechanic come to a boatyard and do repairs, wasn't ready to sign my paycheck directly over to him for that. Refurbished 3 boats from 22' to 35' over the years. What is the word boat an acronym for, Break Out Another Thousand. Still have the boat, only now I'm back to motorcycles. So, I guess life does go full circle. Was really looking forward to riding the bike to the marina to go sailing this summer.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #23 - 05/15/17 at 18:32:12

Interesting stories.
Bstn, it's cool.. I was just goofing.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
buster6315

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 05/15/17 at 19:04:41

My brothers were always wrenching on something, so I learned by watching.  There was some genetic predisposition in me as a result.

IP Logged
FL Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando/Eustis FL
Reply #25 - 05/15/17 at 20:40:55

I bought my first car and Craftsman tool set in 1972.
Experience came a little at a time by doing what needed to be maintained or fixed. Working part time at a service station while in college helped.
But most of my learning came thru working on old Dodge and Plymouths that I have owned over the last 40 years. I've had about 20 of them, still have 6.
Motorcycles are new to me but I'm finding it easy to adapt over from cars to my 2004 Savage with the helpful tips in the SuzukiSavage.com Tech Section.

IP Logged
NHLS650
YaBB Newbies

Ridin' in the 603.

Northern New Hampshire
Reply #26 - 05/16/17 at 03:53:43

In 1984, at 20 years old, I realized college was just not for me. 3 years of fumble "f'ing" thru, on my own dime, a study of criminal law and psychology was just going nowhere.
Loving auto shop in high school, I went looking for a mechanic's job, and was hired by an AMC/Jeep?Renault dealer as a mechanics apprentice.
From there, after a few years, I did the mechanics' 'follow the money' hop  from dealership to dealership and finally ended up with a huge Mercedes dealership in northern NJ.  
They sent me for every schooling possible!
In 1993 I was offered a position with my municipality's public works as the police mechanic.  My primary job was building/repairing and maintaining the 18 police vehicles in the fleet.
That lasted 20 years, and $40k worth of tools/boxes from 1984 till the present.
In 2013 my family and I "retired" and moved from NJ to NH!
A better way of life and much less stress.
I don't turn a wrench for a living anymore, but can fix just about anything.
Limited motorcycle experience, learning as I go.

God Bless America.
  IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #27 - 05/16/17 at 06:42:10

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/15/17 at 18:32:12:
Interesting stories.
Bstn, it's cool.. I was just goofing.

It also had a straight 6 putting out (probably) less than 100 hp and a 3 speed trans. I would race my girlfriend that had a Geo Prism and she would win unless it was downhill. Top speed was maybe 85mph. You'd also smell like gas if you were in the car for more than a minute, it didn't have AC, and the black vinyl seats were cracking. At least it looked and sounded cool.  Grin

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #28 - 05/16/17 at 06:49:52

Ford 170 ci 101 H/P

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #29 - 05/16/17 at 07:01:55

Hey Fl Savage, funny you mention your years of working on Plymouth and Dodges. When I was kid, my father had a thing for 64-67 Chrysler Imperials and New Yorkers (Newports also). I menttioned my muscle cars in my post, senior year in HS I had a 1970 Plymouth Road Runner, 383 Magnum (335hp), factory Hurst 4 speed and the "Beep Beep" horn. My dad had a 66 Chrysler coupe with a 440 (350hp) under the hood, one of several he owned over years. Between the 2 of them, 685HP sitting in the driveway Always wanted to race him but he would have no part of it. Spent much time wrenching on both of them my senior year in HS and freshman year in college.

Both snarling beasts in their own ways, one just much more refined on the inside. My Lexus GS350 F-sport is over 300hp but the modern technology and refinements make it an ease to drive. The Road Runner pictured in Hagerty website, is exactly the same as mine as to color and vinyl top. Paid a even 1k for it in 1977, today it would be worth between 45-68K, wish I had held onto. Sold it after a couple years in college to pay my tuition.

Funny story, When I met my wife, freshman year, when I picked her up for first date I drove my mom's Ford Pinto. She didn't actually see the Road Runner until we had dated awhile. Years later after we were married (34 years this past Jan.) she told me she would have never dated me if she knew the kind of car I actually drove. She always complained she felt like it would do flips when she was in it, go figure.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 03:33:54

General CategoryThe Cafe › How did you learn mechanics?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.