Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Engine Noise: What is typical and what is not? (Read 336 times)
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Re: Engine Noise: What is typical and what is not?
Reply #15 - 03/28/17 at 17:57:13

I bought a mini tach from Ryca. I would highly recommend it. Great product!

Lanz wrote on 03/28/17 at 16:20:51:
Yeeeeah only problem with ordering stuff from overseas to NZ is you often end up paying more in shipping than the item is worth... But I was thinking about ordering a tachometer from them so maybe once I have a bit of spare cash and a list of parts I will snag something. Thanks for the pointer.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #16 - 03/28/17 at 18:05:34

Yeeeeah only problem with ordering stuff from overseas to NZ is you often end up paying more in shipping than the item is worth... But I was thinking about ordering a tachometer from them so maybe once I have a bit of spare cash and a list of parts I will snag something. Thanks for the pointer.

Look at it this way, $49 USD is about $70 AUD I got my local muffler shop to make an angled adapter and fit the whole exhaust as well for $100. You could prolly get your local muffler shop to make the adapter for less than the cost of the ryca then get a couple of Harley clamps. But plenty of people fit it with no adapter, using the tin can method. Maybe a bit more arsing around but you get that warm fuzzy feeling.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #17 - 03/28/17 at 23:25:20

Lanz, as far as mini tachs go, I would do an EBAY search as well as pricing RYCA. I don't speak with authority on this, but I have a feeling RYCA sells a generic Taiwanese thing, which many other US  bike shops sell. I brought mine from Catalyst Cycles in Tennessee or Virgina, or USA. It looks the same as the Ryca product. The tach was landed here for $NZ100, but that's about four years ago and I forget the exchange at the time, the $NZ100, included $NZ30 shipping I think. If you get at tach, get White face black numbers, stands out better at night. What city or province are you?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Lanz
YaBB Newbies

New Zealand
Reply #18 - 03/29/17 at 13:36:34

Yeah I though that might be the case. I will have a hunt.

I'm in Taranaki.

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #19 - 03/31/17 at 06:07:50

Coming from the BMW world where there was virtually NO engine noise, I was really concerned when I purchased my 5,000 mile, 2011 S40.  It was as the original poster described:  engine noise was quiet at startup, but after warm-up, it sounded louder.  I don't hear any "clunks" or "banging", just noise.  Worried me at first, but I figured it was just me (and my helmet at someone described above) that was imagining the worst.
However, I will be checking on my cam chain adjuster in the next few weeks.

Thanks to all for your great input.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 03/31/17 at 06:46:41

It's not a Goldwing , it's a crude old design. It's noisy, by nature. If it's Not making noise, the valves are too tight.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #21 - 03/31/17 at 20:25:58

It took me a while to get used to the sound the engine makes when you really crank it open fast, the sound of the piston is very sharp and metallic, sounds like the piston is about to burst through the head. Weird.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #22 - 03/31/17 at 21:15:35

Same for me! I was surprised the 'roar' of the engine was louder than the exhaust ... but I was new to riding. My only other experience was a Ninja 250R with a Yoshimura muffler.

Now, I love the sounds the thumper makes ☺

eau de sauvage wrote on 03/31/17 at 20:25:58:
It took me a while to get used to the sound the engine makes when you really crank it open fast, the sound of the piston is very sharp and metallic, sounds like the piston is about to burst through the head. Weird.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
KiwiGeek
YaBB Newbies

I backfire so that
you know I am there!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #23 - 04/02/17 at 20:23:10

Find out the dimensions and weight of the package and check what the shipping cost via Youshop is. They have a calculator on the website that will show the shipping costs. (ttps://www.nzpost.co.nz/tools/youshop/youshop-pricing). Often overseas places will take on huge shipping costs for overseas customers because they can.

Member - Ulysses Club, Auckland branch.

http://www.ulyssesauckland.org.nz/
  IP Logged
Fazio
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 11/19/23 at 14:56:39

I realize that this is an extremely old post... but, OP, do you happen to know where to purchase or what brand that luggage rack is on your bike? Looks good btw. Hopefully you still have it. I love mine! Thanks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 15:11:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine Noise: What is typical and what is not?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.