Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
2007 S40 Thinking About Mods (Read 506 times)
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Re: 2007 S40 Thinking About Mods
Reply #15 - 03/28/17 at 07:51:19

I have the big bore high compression piston and stage 2 cam along with a Dyna muffler and a larger main jet in the stock carb with original airbox and filter. I also had the carb tuned by somebody who really knows his business with carbs. I am really happy with the powerband of the bike now. The cam alone seems to be the biggest single improvement to the engine performance.

But as others said you'll want to do something about the suspension and brakes in addition to these mods. I have better shocks and it's a huge help. I'm saving up for the bigger brake now because it needs it more than ever.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #16 - 03/28/17 at 08:24:52

With the same engine mods as listed in my post http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1455307251  I'm getting 37 HP and 39 ft.lbs. of torque ON THE PAVEMENT. BUT my build is a "touring"/ cruiser for the long stretches of high desert I ride (at 60-65 MPH).      If your father wants the "Twisties" , I recommend that your efforts be directed on rear shocks, front brake, and probably an 18" rear rim and tire.     Dave rides/ lives in the twisty part of the country. I would get his advise on that .      FYI: Running the Savage motor,  even as much modified as mine, for long stretches of 4,500 -5,000 RPM tends to use oil (mist out the breather) quite rapidly....  The Air cleaner, jetting and muffler mods you describe are an inexpensive and quick way to pick up a quick HP or two. After that each Horse gets  more and more expen$ive.          

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 03/28/17 at 09:48:49

The rear tire doesn't have to be bumped up in size for twisties - there are good 130/90-15 tires that are grippy and handle well.  Going to a larger 140/90-15 will slow the handling down a little bit....the stock 140/80-15 size has very poor tire choices.

Getting a little longer rear shocks (stock is 10.5") will help with the bumps as the longer rear shocks will have more travel that the 1.5" that the stock shocks provide, and it will steepen up the fork angle a bit.  Shocks in the 11.5" - 12" look OK with the stock fender - if you get taller than that it starts to look like a dirt bike in the back.

When I am riding the curves in my area of KY - I use very little HP and cruise along at 45 - 50 mph on the straight sections, and try not to slow down too much in the corners.  My modified engine makes a good bit more power than a stock engine - but I don't use it much on my local rides.  When we go to ride the areas in TN/NC and are in the mountains - I really like the extra power when coming out of the uphill turns!

I also don't use high gear of my very tall (double Kawasaki pulley) gearing while in the curves - but when I need to get home in a hurry I can ride over to the 4 lane highway and make good time on the way home......a sustained 75 mph is not a strain as my engine is only turning 4,200 rpm! Smiley

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
R1_Cowboy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 03/28/17 at 12:37:09

Thanks everyone for your input, just to clarify dad has been riding for ever!! This is not his first rodeo...

The goal of the top end improvement is to change the rpm and power range at highway cruising speeds. After reading up on some of the different mods I think we will start with:

K&N air filter
dyna exhaust with donut modification
rejet and tune
front fork stiffener
rear shocks
tach
chain conversion

test ride and evaluate Smiley

can anyone point me in the right direction for the rear shocks we are thinking 11" or 11 1/2" progressive but not sure where to buy.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 03/28/17 at 12:56:22

We have an extensive collection of tech articles.
peruse the index for your interests.

See the link below?

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 03/28/17 at 12:58:34

Shocks for the Intruder 800 are 11.5", and are reported to work well on the Savage.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #21 - 03/28/17 at 20:40:56

PhilthyMike,the single biggest change for torque/horsepower, is your larger/higher compression piston,it pulls in a larger volume of F/A mix,and compresses it to a higher degree, increasing  Hp(9.5% @ peak torque)and   throughout the entire RPM range.The after market cam is very mild, in our bikes and is merely frosting on the cake.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #22 - 03/28/17 at 21:01:13

R1-cowboy ,I like your list of mods ,except the last one,I believe going to chain drive may be counter productive for the use you intend.the TDI ignition has about 5 degrees of advance which plays out at about 5000 RPM (that's about 80 mph in 5th gear) ,unless you think you'll be going faster in the twisties ,going to a higher ratio with chain drive may hurt your performance.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 03/29/17 at 04:29:09

batman wrote on 03/28/17 at 21:01:13:
TDI ignition has about 5 degrees of advance which plays out at about 5000 RPM (that's about 80 mph in 5th gear) ,unless you think you'll be going faster in the twisties ,going to a higher ratio with chain drive may hurt your performance.

I don't believe the goal is performance....the goal is to reduce the rpm at highway speeds so that the engine is not turning 4,342 rpm at 65 mph or 4,676 rpm at 70 mph .  The stock engine can handle a modest gearing change fine, and it makes the bike a lot more relaxing to ride on the highway.  Several of the forum members have made a gearing change and are happy with the results.

The Kawasaki front pulley change makes an 8.7% reduction in rpm at cruise, and owners report the change doesn't make any noticeable "seat of the pants" difference in the acceleration.  You could do a similar 9%-10% change using sprockets and get a bike that is nicer to ride when you have to do the 60-70 mph highway speeds.

When you make the gearing change - you most likely will use the bottom 4 gears when riding the twisties.....and the taller 5th gear will become the overdrive gear for use over 60 mph.  And when you want to see how fast you can go - it may well be that 4th gear will get you the highest top speed.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #24 - 03/29/17 at 04:51:38

Recommend a careful test of speedometer accuracy before any changes. The stock setup is usually a bit optimistic.
Just going to the 140/90 rear tire got the 2005 real close. The 02 has saddle bags and brackets and won't take the bigger tire.
If you're wanting to change things at all, I'd just get the exhaust freed up, tune the carb  and go with a 140/90 rear for starters. See how that goes and if you want more, there are things that can be done. Certainly a fork brace to firm up the front end.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #25 - 03/29/17 at 07:49:45

batman wrote on 03/28/17 at 20:40:56:
PhilthyMike,the single biggest change for torque/horsepower, is your larger/higher compression piston,it pulls in a larger volume of F/A mix,and compresses it to a higher degree, increasing  Hp(9.5% @ peak torque)and   throughout the entire RPM range.The after market cam is very mild, in our bikes and is merely frosting on the cake.

Thanks for the explanation, I had it in my head that the cam was mostly responsible for the improved powerband.

As for the shocks I'm really happy with the 2nd hand 11" progressive 412's I'm running. Overall handling is much improved and on the highway I'm not airborn over every nasty bump anymore.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 03/29/17 at 07:56:44

The Wiseco piston upgrade is nice and I love mine - it requires a significant investment in time and money.  The other mods can be done with relatively little work - the piston upgrade requires the engine to come out of the frame for installation.  You then need to buy a piston, have your cylinder bored...buy a head and base gasket, and the cost adds up pretty quickly.

However.....it really does provide a noticeable change in the personality  the engine.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #27 - 03/29/17 at 08:29:05

I thought that the head and cylinder could be removed without removal of the engine. I seem to remember reading in the FSM that in order to remove the engine that the head has to be removed.

When I was doing the conversion of my bike I tried in vein to remove the engine while it was in tact so I could paint the frame. In the end I just painted around it (I was doing more damage trying to remove the engine).

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #28 - 03/29/17 at 09:57:48

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 03/29/17 at 08:29:05:
I thought that the head and cylinder could be removed without removal of the engine. I seem to remember reading in the FSM that in order to remove the engine that the head has to be removed.

The cylinder head cap can be removed with the engine in the frame....there is one bolt that makes it a bit fiddly - but it can be done.

The cylinder head cannot be removed with the engine in the frame - as you can't lift the head high enough to get clear the cylinder studs before the head hits the top frame tube.

A few folks have suggested that you could remove the cylinder studs after you take the nuts/washers off the top - however I doubt you can get good enough access to the studs to double nut them in any way that would successfully allow them to be removed.....there is a very small amount of stud sticking up above the head.

One member did take the motor mounts off, and then tip his engine sideways in the frame to allow the head/cylinder to be taken off.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #29 - 03/29/17 at 11:15:45

Yep, the engine can be removed if all the engine mounts are removed, the belt/chain disconnected, and a few other things, and the engine tilted forward and to the right side.  However, after going to all that trouble you might as well pull it the rest of the way out and put it on the bench.  It is much easier to work on that way.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 23:30:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2007 S40 Thinking About Mods

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.