Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
For Whom The Road Tolls.... (Read 275 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: For Whom The Road Tolls....
Reply #15 - 03/14/17 at 09:04:04

pg wrote on 03/13/17 at 20:54:08:
Papa Bear wrote on 03/13/17 at 14:14:56:
I wonder where all the taxes collected on fuel went?

Good question, does anyone know?

Best regards,

Well....I know a little bit about this.  I work for several small cities in northern Kentucky.  Every one of the cities is given money from the "Municipal Aid Road Fund", and it is a portion of the "state tax" that was collected from fuel sales.  Each spring we are required to hold a public hearing to collect information from the residents about the projects that they want the City to work on, and the City staff also presents projects that they believe should be done.   I imagine a similar system exists for the Federal portion of the tax on fuel sales.  The State of KY has a 6 year Road Plan that is determined by the State Government:
http://transportation.ky.gov/Congestion-Toolbox/Pages/Six-Year-Plan.aspx

I don't know the process for determining how the tax money on fuel sales is distributed - but the cities collect far more of the tax money than the rural areas as there are a lot more folks buying fuel.....and yet the majority of the funds are spent to finance large rural projects that could not be financed any other way (this same situation exists at the county level - where the Cities provide more tax revenue and yet the majority of the tax money spent on county roads occurs in the rural areas).  The Cities have to get a lot of money from other sources (property or local road taxes) to be able to maintain the city streets.  (That is the majority of my day to day job.....working on street maintenance and replacement projects for small cities).

Road projects are very expensive - and the cost of maintaining them never goes away.  The street paving on local streets can survive for a pretty long time as the traffic volume is light - but on major highways a pavement life of 20 years is exceptional.  If you build a road with a toll.....you will have to keep a toll to pay for the maintenance/replacement of the road when it wears out....unless you find another source of revenue.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #16 - 03/14/17 at 10:01:25

"....unless you find another source of revenue."  

I always thought that source of revenue for ongoing road upkeep was fuel taxes.
And it would be if it wasn't spent on other stuff

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #17 - 03/14/17 at 10:28:06

Well, I hate to be the guy; but frankly is there another way?  Really, would all the nice folk in Boston vote for higher taxes so we can pave the roads in Hampshire County?  I don't think so.  I can't see the folks of L.A voting their income tax money to pave roads on Sonoma County; they would simply ask the diners "Do you want your wine stirred or shaken".

Everyone screams at redistribution of wealth but that is what government is.  And it is so we can do it without the bloodbaths of the French and American Revolutions, or the Russian, Chinese and the Khmer Rouge variations.  Really, lets be serious for a moment.  
OK, that's over, lets get back to the Trump/Obama  Bashing.
Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 03/14/17 at 11:15:02

It's shocking that everyone doesn't know how the money goes.
Fuel tax.
Not income tax.  
They used to vary registration costs by weight.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #19 - 03/14/17 at 11:27:07

in some states e.g. NY, weight still affects the reg fee.  In some states there is a vehicle excise tax every year of ownership.  So you pay a sales tax to buy a new car, motor vehicle registry fees based on value, and weight for plates.  You pay the fuel tax which goes to road construction and maintenance, you pay an excise tax each year per registered veh, I don't know about unregistered.  You the pay a tax on the money you get when you well it (but unlike, say stocks, you cannot reduce it by the original cost.  In some states you are required to have insurance. Did I miss any? Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 03/14/17 at 11:30:56

Parasites..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 03/14/17 at 11:40:19

oldNslow wrote on 03/13/17 at 16:50:20:
Quote:
If you want true prosperity in the US again, you will begin by getting all money out of politics.

However laudable a goal that is, its already far too late for that to ever happen.  The money IN politics is more than sufficient to make sure that it never happens. Sooner or later this particular cause will also be co-opted by the charlatans.

This only goes one way, and the result is inevitable. Half the voters last November, in one way or another, recognised the situation, and that is how we wound up with Trump, who, in all honesty, is nothing more than a speed bump on this country's toll road to ruin. Things will continue exactly as they are until they become intolerable for everyone not beholden to, and benefiting from, the criminal enterprise that we have allowed our government(s) to become. When that sinks into the minds of enough folks then all bets are off, and the "peaceful transition of power"  that all the bullsh*t artists babble on about will be nothing more than a quaint fairy tale.

Sorry - I'm not giving up that easy.  There is definitely a way to get money out of politics - and Amendment.  It's not impossible at all.  How did women get the right to vote?  How did prohibition get instituted and then repealed?

We're actually making progress - WOLF-PAC.com

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 03/14/17 at 11:49:02

Yeah, politicians are actually gonna support That. Stopping prostitution would be easier.

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 03/14/17 at 12:10:57

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/14/17 at 11:49:02:
Yeah, politicians are actually gonna support That. Stopping prostitution would be easier.

It's not up to the politicians, it's up to the citizens.  The issue of money in politics is NOT partisan.  We all want it gone.

If you think you can't change it - you can't.  Why even bother trying??

Not me - I love this country too much to see it go the way of an oligarchy.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #24 - 03/14/17 at 13:32:19

T And T Garage wrote on 03/14/17 at 11:40:19:
oldNslow wrote on 03/13/17 at 16:50:20:
Quote:
If you want true prosperity in the US again, you will begin by getting all money out of politics.

However laudable a goal that is, its already far too late for that to ever happen.  The money IN politics is more than sufficient to make sure that it never happens. Sooner or later this particular cause will also be co-opted by the charlatans.

This only goes one way, and the result is inevitable. Half the voters last November, in one way or another, recognised the situation, and that is how we wound up with Trump, who, in all honesty, is nothing more than a speed bump on this country's toll road to ruin. Things will continue exactly as they are until they become intolerable for everyone not beholden to, and benefiting from, the criminal enterprise that we have allowed our government(s) to become. When that sinks into the minds of enough folks then all bets are off, and the "peaceful transition of power"  that all the bullsh*t artists babble on about will be nothing more than a quaint fairy tale.

[color=#0000ff]Sorry - I'm not giving up that easy.  There is definitely a way to get money out of politics - and Amendment.  It's not impossible at all.  How did women get the right to vote?  How did prohibition get instituted and then repealed?

We're actually making progress - WOLF-PAC.com
[/color]

That's the second time you have accused me of "giving up". Even though you haven't the faintest idea what my plans for what I see coming happen to be. Wolf-Pac is a waste of time.

Take a good look around. Political action of any kind isn't going to fix this. The system is broken beyond repair. Spend your time and energy preparing for the inevitable Sh*t storm thats coming down the pike.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #25 - 03/14/17 at 14:00:22

oldNslow wrote on 03/14/17 at 13:32:19:
Take a good look around. Political action of any kind isn't going to fix this. The system is broken beyond repair. Spend your time and energy preparing for the inevitable Sh*t storm thats coming down the pike.

What kind of time frame?

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #26 - 03/14/17 at 14:01:30

T And T Garage wrote on 03/14/17 at 12:10:57:
Not me - I love this country too much to see it go the way of an oligarchy.

It has been gone since 1913.

Best regards,

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #27 - 03/14/17 at 14:05:32

All that piss and vinegar,and no strength for reading...

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #28 - 03/14/17 at 14:11:49

I read it 3 years ago.

Best regards,

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #29 - 03/14/17 at 14:20:55

And did it affect your understanding of how things really work?

Confessions of an Economic Hit Man is a partly autobiographical book written by John Perkins published in 2004. It provides Perkins' account of his career with engineering consulting firm Chas. T. Main in Boston. Wikipedia

There is an audio book, free.
Digging around for summaries, you can get the gist.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 04:02:04

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › For Whom The Road Tolls....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.