Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
engine cut out (Read 82 times)
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
engine cut out
02/22/17 at 11:44:09

Hi all, once again I have electrical gremlins, bikes been going really well lately then today going round a roundabout ( do you have them in the land of Trump ? ) it just died, after pushing it to the side of the road I started it up put it into gear and it died as it did every time I put it into gear - I may be wrong (as usual) but it sounds like a safety has kicked in even though since I've owned it the clutch and side stand safety features haven't been on it - any ideas anyone ? thanks for looking

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: engine cut out
Reply #1 - 02/22/17 at 11:55:41

perhaps one or both of your bypasses have fallen out?

WWW   IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #2 - 02/22/17 at 13:26:28

I'm not too sure where they would be = It wasn't me who bypassed them , I'm pretty sure I had a wiring diag. of the safety circuit but I seem to have misplaced it.

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 02/22/17 at 13:39:43

The original clutch switch was up at the clutch lever on the handlebar, and there were two wires that came out of the wiring harness to the left electrical control that were wired to the switch mounted on the clutch lever perch.....however I don't think that switch will make the bike stall - it will only prevent the starter from energizing if the bike is in gear.......unless you have the clutch pulled in.

The side stand switch wiring would go to a connector that is on the left side of the bike, just behind the painted side cover.  That one will kill the engine if the bike is in gear (neutral light not on and the ignition is killed if the side stand is down).

Wiring diagrams are in the Technical Section.....look for the Table of Contents with links, and go to the electrical section.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 02/22/17 at 14:20:30

I 'm sure Dave is right,only the side stand switch would act that way ,and seeing yours is bypassed you should be looking at that connection.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #5 - 02/22/17 at 14:38:01

OK thanks for that I'll be getting the soldering iron out laters  Smiley tbh I've replaced quite a bit of the wiring with new connections and wires but there is still some to do - obviously the bypass connection is part of that  Smiley cheers all

IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #6 - 02/25/17 at 11:09:29

OK all sorted a connector under the tank had worked loose but not completely apart - probably when the tank has been on and off a couple of times - not sure why the little plastic lock thingy wasnt securing it together  Embarrassed. Anyway going well again thanks all.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 02/25/17 at 12:00:27

A skinny zip tie keeping the connector connected is a dandy answer

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #8 - 02/25/17 at 14:58:44

Will check that out JOG - sounds like a good idea,thanks

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:36:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › engine cut out

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.