Send Topic Print
DIY forward controls (Read 1074 times)
Stefinstein
YaBB Newbies

Mad Scientist

Vancouver
Re: DIY forward controls
Reply #15 - 02/23/17 at 11:25:21

So I managed to throw a doodle together for the left peg.

Bare in mind that all of these drawings only show the formula and parameters That I am following, the measurements are *not confirmed* as I have not taken my controls off yet.

This drawing is a bit crowded (sorry) so edges have been gone over in blue pen to minimize the confusion.

image_352.jpg

Give my creation LIFE!
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #16 - 02/23/17 at 19:29:28

Your left side plate will need a relief for the kick stand spring along the bottom.
 If you want some more tips let me know, I would hate to ruin the fun of having you figuring it out on your own. Wink

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Stefinstein
YaBB Newbies

Mad Scientist

Vancouver
Reply #17 - 02/24/17 at 10:54:17

Ed- Thank you for joining the thread, I will take as many tips/tricks/insights/dimensions/angles you'd like to share. The designs are all just in the draft stage for now I also can't measure the axle location properly until I get the to back side of the peg plates. In the picture of the left side template I have a 3/4" hole for a relief. Again, I haven't taken the controls of as of yet but I have roughly measured the clearance from the outside of the bottom extension hole to be 9/16" (marked as 19mm) does this sound about right? Thanks for any light you can shed on the matter.

Give my creation LIFE!
  IP Logged
Northwood
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #18 - 04/11/18 at 04:21:06

Sorry to wake this old thread, but I am dead curious to know how things turned out.
DIY is the way to go. I also refuse to pay $$$$ for a simple piece of metal.

Smiley

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 04/11/18 at 04:24:28

Northwood wrote on 04/11/18 at 04:21:06:
I also refuse to pay $$$$ for a simple piece of metal.
Smiley

Anyone who has tried to make this stuff for others soon realizes the metal isn't very costly - it is the "hours" of work it takes to transform the metal into something useful.

Savage parts cannot be mass produced by large companies profitably, so there is a lot of manual labor involved by fellows working in small shops with small tools.

« Last Edit: 04/14/18 at 03:17:36 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Northwood
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #20 - 04/11/18 at 04:39:58

Dave wrote on 04/11/18 at 04:24:28:
Smiley

Anyone who has tried to make this stuff for others soon realizes it is not the metal isn't very costly - it is the "hours" of work it takes to transform the metal into something useful.

I wont disagree with you on that Dave.
But the price tag is very high for a piece of low-tech mechanics. That was my point Smiley
In my end of the world it's no less than $600.

But I'm more interested in Stefinsteins finished controls.

IP Logged
mz250
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 04/12/18 at 01:15:06

Dave wrote on 04/11/18 at 04:24:28:
Smiley

Anyone who has tried to make this stuff for others soon realizes it is not the metal isn't very costly - it is the "hours" of work it takes to transform the metal into something useful.

Savage parts cannot be mass produced by large companies profitably, so there is a lot of manual labor involved by fellows working in small shops with small tools.

Not when you have access to a laser cutter Wink

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #22 - 04/13/18 at 18:10:26

Laser cutters can't weld or cut threads, there is more to it than it looks.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Chip 2010
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 04/13/18 at 19:23:33

95% of the cost is in the labor, cutting and welding namely.  If I had my own shear and a plasma cutter, and a welder... my forward floorboard project would be much less costly.  

At present I'm trying to come up with a good way to line up the frame tube hole (the short bolt, not the two long ones that run all the way through the frame/engine case) so that I can mark it and drill it without having to put the left side plate on, mark the hole, remove it, drill the hole, then put it back on.

IP Logged
mz250
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 04/14/18 at 00:49:03

Ed L. wrote on 04/13/18 at 18:10:26:
Laser cutters can't weld or cut threads, there is more to it than it looks.

Can do thats as well

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #25 - 04/14/18 at 10:25:12

mz250, I'm glad to see you know so much about developing,manufacturing, packaging, shipping, providing support and everything else involved in the production of the forward controls.
 I've had this discussion many times before and have found that the reality of producing something from raw materials to a finished end user friendly item takes a lot more time than most people expect.
 If you could take he time could you sit down and list all the different steps needed from raw materials to finished product including purchasing the aluminum, steel and hardware, welding, machining, finish grinding, painting ( don't forget buying the paint) packaging and shipping, basically the whole ball of wax, and you might see that it really isn't as easy as you might think it is. Oh I also forgot maintenance and repairs on the machines used in the process and purchasing disposables like abrasives.

IP Logged
Northwood
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #26 - 04/15/18 at 04:58:45

Easy guys. I never intended to start a flame war.
I do acknowledge labor is a big part of the expense, but here the prices compares to a weeks salary or more. That is crazy.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #27 - 04/15/18 at 15:28:17

I'm not interested in starting a flame war, just trying to express what it takes to produce the forward control kits. When the material costs and time are factored in I'm making under $20.00 per hour for my effort.
 Northwood, check you PM box for some build tips on DIY forward controls.
Ed

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #28 - 04/15/18 at 15:48:02

Ed L. wrote on 04/15/18 at 15:28:17:
I'm not interested in starting a flame war, just trying to express what it takes to produce the forward control kits. When the material costs and time are factored in I'm making under $20.00 per hour for my effort.
 Northwood, check you PM box for some build tips on DIY forward controls.
Ed

I bet that is $20 per/hr for production only. There's no way that could cover the initial investment of hours in research and development!

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #29 - 04/15/18 at 15:52:31

I'll offer one small tip. You will need to consider the length and routing of the kickstand kill switch, if you want to maintain it's functionality.

I cut a small notch in the bottom of the left plate on a set of EdL's 4" controls to accommodate the wire. Fortunately, there was enough slack in the stock wire to reach the new location of the switch.

The wire does hang down a little bit in a small loop, but after a few months of riding it is still intact.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 08:23:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › DIY forward controls

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.