DIY forward controls (Read 1074 times)
Stefinstein
YaBB Newbies

Mad Scientist

Vancouver
DIY forward controls
02/19/17 at 14:51:47

Hello and welcome,

Like many of you savage owners I like to modify my thumper to my own tastes in style and comfort. I have recently been looking to find any kind of plans, how to's, drawings, or forum pages on how make your own forward controls. But, as all of us already know we are very limited to the options we have for parts in the retail market. Being a ticketed welder and fabricator and an experienced leather worker I am always looking for the next thing I can build myself, and the next thing on my list is stretching my legs (as I'm sure many of you can agree). Now I, and many of you, are faced with the options of outrageous prices/limited availability from small runs done my forum members/building your own set from scratch.

So, here's my proposal;

That this page be used be used for an open source of information on how to make your own forward controls, a collaborative thread for forum members who can offer their ideas/experience/dimensions/drawings/pictures to the forum readers.

I've been doing much research on the matter and scoured for as many good reference pictures as I can to break them down into a readable drawing. However, being that most of these are pictures are from kits built and sold by a current forum member (Ed), I would like to ask him first if he would be willing to contribute to the page. Would Ed be willing to share his hole layout?

Simply put its a couple of plates with holes in them, the plate can be any shape but the holes are fixed to the angle and length you want them. I have found from the many pictures I have broken down that once the length has been decided that most of the holes are fixed to their locations, but the angle on which these holes sit varies from kit to kit. This difference is any where from 35-45 degrees. Maybe someone can confirm this angle, but I would assume this is either design differences or to account for lost ground clearance if your front forks are shortened. I will attach a couple sample drawings (when I transfer them to PC) of the right side extension plate to show the kind of differences in angle I have mentioned, the cutout in the drawings are based off the cutout on Ed's plates as I have not pulled my controls for measurements yet.

I am eager to see the responses this page will get. Hopefully with the collective help of the people reading this we can create the ground works for anyone attempting this feat.

Thanks for your time and your contributions in advance!

« Last Edit: 02/20/17 at 21:58:24 by Stefinstein »  

Give my creation LIFE!
  IP Logged
Stefinstein
YaBB Newbies

Mad Scientist

Vancouver
Re: Open source DIY forward controls
Reply #1 - 02/19/17 at 14:58:01

Pic 1

IMG_0106.JPG

Give my creation LIFE!
  IP Logged
Stefinstein
YaBB Newbies

Mad Scientist

Vancouver
Reply #2 - 02/19/17 at 14:58:30

Pic2

IMG_0105_001.JPG

Give my creation LIFE!
  IP Logged
Stefinstein
YaBB Newbies

Mad Scientist

Vancouver
Reply #3 - 02/20/17 at 15:19:17

So after cutting both templates out and holding them each in position;

~The 45 degree pattern looks to be closer to parallel with the frame under the engine. Maybe someone else can confirm this, but with my particular frame this angle looks like 43 degrees when I hold a bevel square up to the bolts.

~The 35 degree pattern raises the pedal location and the bottom of the plate has about a 8-10 degree rise from the frame under the engine. This would look less extreme with shortened forks.

Now just visualizing the geometry, the farther your pegs are away from the frame more leverage is added. So when your forks are compressed you limit the ground clearance to the peg at a much quicker rate. The length of your forks seam to play a big role in the angle you choose on your extension.

Performance wise
35 degrees would make more sense for the added ground clearance to the pegs which some people lose when they shorten their forks (roughly half of your fork height drop). Which to some might not be much but for the performance thumping bobber nuts out there that live for the twisties, they want to drag knuckles on the dragon so every bit counts.

In stock height configuration however
45 degrees just looks too low and anymore than 4" might be cause for concern. I'm going to draw out another template at 40 degrees and see how that looks when held in place.

I'll post a picture before cutting it out.

Give my creation LIFE!
  IP Logged
Stefinstein
YaBB Newbies

Mad Scientist

Vancouver
Reply #4 - 02/20/17 at 16:31:38

So I cut it out before I got a chance to snap a picture, but here's a shot of all three templates stacked on top of each other to show the difference made by the angle alone.

Top/middle/bottom = 35*/40*/45*

IMG_0109.JPG

Give my creation LIFE!
  IP Logged
DaveLKN
YaBB Newbies

Lake Norman NC
Reply #5 - 02/20/17 at 20:08:10

Subscribed- I don't have anything to add but I'm interested in the outcome...Thanks for your effort on this.

1998 Savage LS650
1998 Marauder VZ800
member- Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club
  IP Logged
Stefinstein
YaBB Newbies

Mad Scientist

Vancouver
Reply #6 - 02/20/17 at 21:00:20

Good to have you aboard DaveLKN. Any input helps whether it's questions, comments, thoughts, concerns, or ideas. I'd like to get a good brainstorm going.

Don't be shy savage owners!

Give my creation LIFE!
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: DIY forward controls
Reply #7 - 02/21/17 at 17:42:40

I'm enjoying your DIY posts!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Stefinstein
YaBB Newbies

Mad Scientist

Vancouver
Reply #8 - 02/21/17 at 20:41:20

Thanks Kris,

I'm hoping it sparks some interest with the community because there realy is no available guidelines on the process. I'm going to lift my bike this week and pull the controls so I can get some accurate measurements because as of now these are just guesstimates. I have just thrown a caliber to the centres of the bolts for reference.

Does anyone know these dimensions off hand?
Bolt size?
Bolt spacing?

Give my creation LIFE!
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #9 - 02/21/17 at 20:45:07

Stefin,

While you are at the controls how about a design for mid controls like the Brit bikes and the Universal Jap Bikes have?

Kenny G Undecided

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 02/22/17 at 05:27:08

Kenny G wrote on 02/21/17 at 20:45:07:
Stefin,

While you are at the controls how about a design for mid controls like the Brit bikes and the Universal Jap Bikes have?

Kenny G Undecided

-------------------------
I'm getting ready to do my mids soon.  I think I'm making a Ryca style mount and using Yamaha XS 400 pegs going forward from there.   But if someone wants to open source some DYI plans....

IP Logged
Stefinstein
YaBB Newbies

Mad Scientist

Vancouver
Reply #11 - 02/22/17 at 08:50:03

Kenny G, ohiomoto-

I haven't put much thought into a mid setup only because it's not the style I'm going for. However, after looking at the RYCA "rearset bracket" I find it appalling that this company charges $330 for this (raw) and an extra $50 to powder coat. It's literally $.50 worth of steel.....robbery anyone? The thing better be made of titanium and ultrasound tested for that price.

Once I complete the forward controls, I'd be willing pull some measurements and draft some plans for a mid control bracket for you guys. Then you can put down the complementary tub of RYCA Vaseline. Hopefully at that point you guys can take the reins from there as I won't actually be making any for my current pony.

Give my creation LIFE!
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #12 - 02/22/17 at 09:18:09

Stefin,

If I have proper drawerings I can either make the mount or have someone do it for me.

I am thinking the toughest part will be the linkage for the rear brake.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Stefinstein
YaBB Newbies

Mad Scientist

Vancouver
Reply #13 - 02/22/17 at 09:44:01

Kenny G- I will make a new thread for this so as not to mix up the two different projects. I think having both of these on one page might get a bit confusing.

Give my creation LIFE!
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #14 - 02/22/17 at 10:15:40

Good Idea Stefin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4