Send Topic Print
Lightened Flywheel (Read 1008 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Lightened Flywheel
Reply #30 - 06/17/17 at 21:10:46

No , My tracker is down right now for seat , paint and a lot of odds & ends. Spent today modifying wiring harness , moving horn & ignition switch & putting my helmet lock back on. Next is GPS speedo. Then the lighter light flywheel and couple other minor things to engine. Then regear it to 18/51 from a 17/54. So the Sportster is my ride for now. It gives me a great workout on the really tight twisties , but it flys thru the sweepers. There is almost a 200 lb difference between the two bikes. I miss the tracker !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #31 - 06/18/17 at 09:17:06

I understand perfectly. My last two bikes were both well over 500 pounds each. That was a big reason for wanting to build a Savage. Tired of wrestling all of that weight around.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #32 - 06/18/17 at 10:26:54

Yup I'm not tall or young anymore , me and the RYCA tracker are the perfect combination, we can slice n dice the twisties ! Did you build a RYCA too ? Or mod up a stocker ? Interested in your build. I,m started this project 3 1/2 years ago , but having fun , don't know if I will ever call it done , but getting closer !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #33 - 06/18/17 at 10:30:12

Lancer , Please post some pics of the recent rendition of Rex. Would love to ride it someday ! And of course cut you loose on the Tracker.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #34 - 06/18/17 at 11:26:20

I am going kind of the opposite direction from a RYCA build. More along the lines of a mild chopper, but with enough motor to have some serious acceleration when I want. Street port job, 1 3/4" exhaust, some air box mods, lighter flywheel, and possibly a regrind on the cam. Just a nice cruiser that is a lot of fun to ride. Smiley

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #35 - 06/18/17 at 18:45:25

Yeah that's the coolest thing about a Savage. It's a ball of clay you can make it into anything.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #36 - 06/18/17 at 18:57:11

You really want/NEED a good camshaft, it makes a fun bike REALLY FREAKIN FUN !  😎🏍

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #37 - 06/18/17 at 19:08:14

Lancer , There was recently on SS that was going to use a DR cam !
Have you tried one ? Opinion ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #38 - 06/19/17 at 07:03:19

Ruttly wrote on 06/18/17 at 19:08:14:
Lancer , There was recently on SS that was going to use a DR cam !
Have you tried one ? Opinion ?

I have not personally tried one in one of my bikes, they both have an upgraded cam already.  If you have already looked at the lift and duration of the early DR's they are significantly up from the cams I use, especially the lift, it is really high.  I have not doubt that the valve train is capable of handling it since the DR and LS have virtually identical systems.  It is the exhaust ports that are radically different, the DR has really nice straight shot ports, while ours is a crooked maze.  I don't have the engineering background to know for sure what the exact negative effect is from our ports are but it seems logical to me that it would be significant.
Perhaps some here with the engineering background could help, unless you have some direct experience with this type of situation.  If so, I certainly welcome it.

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #39 - 06/19/17 at 08:54:03

I don't have access to a flowbench anymore so I can't say with any certainty. but to me that exhaust port looks like it is upside down to how it should be shaped. Where the roof of the port is flattened should be on the floor instead to help turn the exhaust gas as it enters the head pipe.

But I have seen ports that looked completely wrong that actually flowed very well. So like I said, without a flowbench I can't be certain that the existing port doesn't work well.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #40 - 06/19/17 at 11:16:02

I think the biggest problem is that when the exhaust valves near fully open the speed of the exhaust gases drop to sub sonic ,and as they pass the "shelf" in the roof of the head they expand (pressurize ) killing the flow out the exhaust pipe .If the size of the channels in the head just behind the valves started at 85-88% of the exhaust valve size and increased to only the size of the valves when they reached the exhaust header ,then the velocity of the gases would be maintained and the head would be more effectual.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #41 - 06/19/17 at 11:26:35

Whew,, I was Just Gonna make that point and now I don't hafta do that typing.. yep, that's what I was gonna say alright..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #42 - 06/19/17 at 12:06:49

I think that if the shelf was blended to match the rest of the port wall it would be better too. That step from a somewhat round port to the flat shelf has to create a lot of turbulence. Since the exhaust cam lobe has more lift than the intake lobe, it would seem to indicate that it does cause a restriction in exhaust flow.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #43 - 06/19/17 at 12:27:56

Remove the ring and open pocket then smooth port try not to remove any from what looks like the ramp if you turn the head over you will see it is the area that surrounds the springs. Thin that area and the exhaust will be cooking the oil in that area. There is plenty of ring & pockets to remove. While doing the ports remove all the sharp edges in combustion chamber this will prevent detonation. Detonation kills performance !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #44 - 06/19/17 at 12:38:28

I was thinking more along the lines of filling in the area and blending rather than simply removing material around the shelf. That way it would have more of a uniform shape rather than the abrupt step that it has.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 09:28:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Lightened Flywheel

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.