Send Topic Print
Lightened Flywheel (Read 1008 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Lightened Flywheel
02/19/17 at 10:04:52

Had my 6.2 lb flywheel machined removing 2 lbs by Armen. The more I ride it the more I'm liking it. My bike already somewhat on the twitchy side now even more twitchy. When I first installed it , I could barely notice the difference. By the way R & R of flywheel is easy. It revs quicker seems right where you need it to. Not huge noticeable difference but I like it. On a out of the hole run I feel it rev quicker , until powerband mellows then normal feeling and at a freeway speed snap she takes off for passing. Keep in mind my engine has several mods. Im not sure but  it might be more noticeable on a stock engine . After many rides I like it ! When my bike comes apart for paint and seat then I will install my even lighter flywheel at 3.75 . I'm sure I will like it too ! I love R & D and tuning , there is not much more H/P
left to find in my engine unless I use a bigger cam. But If I find more H/P with my tuning & lighter flywheels you can bet I will be posting it !

Thank You Armen !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Lightened Flywheel
Reply #1 - 02/19/17 at 11:37:12

Ruttly ,How does it act when you close the throttle?DO the rpm's drop off faster?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 02/19/17 at 11:59:02

Great question, It's seems the same but I wasn't testing for that , a lighter flywheel you might be losing some compression braking I would think. Maybe Armen has that answer. I am shooting for the quickest out of the hole starts with tuning and lighter flywheels. It just started raining again here otherwise I would go try it !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #3 - 02/19/17 at 12:20:36

Batman,The 4.2 lb is a minor change you really have to be very aware to sense the change , I do my tuning by the seat of my pants so I notice every change no matter how slight. Also my bike is only 310 lbs. Have found no ill effects what so ever, but like I said the more I ride it the more I'm liking it. Savage carries ALOT of weight with the flywheel the rotor and the starter gears removing some of that weight is a good thing, maybe even better fuel mileage!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #4 - 02/19/17 at 12:58:57

Hey Ruttly,
Glad you are happy with the mod!
I shaved about 2 lbs off the flywheel, because that is how much I take off the Ducati flywheels, and that seems to give a noticeable improvement with no down side. There are some super light aluminum flywheels out there for the Ducs that make the bikes too twitchy for many folks.
I knocked a bit more weight off the second flywheel I did for you. Interesting to see how it feels.
It should provide a bit more/quicker engine braking as there isn't as much inertia carrying the crank revs.
I know Dave has put together a tool kit for doing the swap.
Not rocket surgery, but it takes some time, skill, and tools.
-Armen

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 02/19/17 at 14:08:08

I'm real interested to see how it works as well , I will post results when it gets installed !
Would a heavier stock bike benefit more from a lighter flywheel than a modified 310 lb bike like mine ? Would it be more noticeable ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #6 - 02/19/17 at 16:50:59

Ruttly asked:
"Would a heavier stock bike benefit more from a lighter flywheel than a modified 310 lb bike like mine ? Would it be more noticeable ?"

It really depends on how sensitive the rider is. On the Ducs that have used my lighter flywheels, the folks who are hyper sensitive will not only notice the difference in how quickly the motor revs up, but they may even notice that the bike is easier to change direction.

Huh?

A story:
Years ago when the brilliant John Britten built his all conquering twin, one of his racer/test riders was Andrew Stroud. One day, while testing at the track, Stroud came in and said to Britten "Lighten the crank so it'll turn quicker."
"Huh?" says Britten.
Stroud replied, "I went through the same set of 'S' turns in 4th, then 5th, then 6th gears. At the same speed. The bike turned easier in the higher gear."
Explanation:
With the crank rotating in the same direction as the wheels, the heavy crank had a lot of gyroscopic effect, and was hard to change direction. Lower gear meant the crank was spinning faster, so more gyroscopic effect. A lighter crank would mean less gyro effect at higher RPMs, so easier to change direction.

I'm in awe of guys like that.

Contrast that to the fact that many of the times when a student brings in their bike for my motorcycle maintenance class, the bike has less than 10 PSI of tire pressure. I ask them if they rode the bike to class, and did they notice any odd-say for example that the bike handled like a drunk pig on a water bed?
"No, it's fine" is always the answer.

Long answer to a short question. Depends on how good you are.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 02/19/17 at 18:13:56

Did they notice any odd-say for example that the bike handled like a drunk pig on a water bed?

That's a question that, just because of How it's asked, pretty much demands a negative response. Anything even slightly resembling a yes COULD be seen as an admission of knowing what it's like to Be in a waterbed with a drunk pig.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #8 - 02/19/17 at 18:36:56

JOG , You crack my up , lmfao

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #9 - 02/19/17 at 19:10:29

Armen , My bike is 310 lb maybe a little less and is super nimble but has a higher center of gravity than a stocker. I grasp that concept of it being easier to change direction but it wasn't what I feeling for while riding. Now I have to find a series of turns to try that out and then try it again after the other flywheel goes in. Removing  an estimated 3.45 lbs should be a noticeable difference. I wish I knew that when installed the first one. Not to many nice turns in farm country it's all squares with long straights good for tuning/jetting . Very interesting stuff !!!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #10 - 02/19/17 at 20:32:43

That is if it ever stops raining here in CA !!!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 02/20/17 at 04:15:42

I installed the 2 lb lighter flywheel on my bike, and it was 23 degrees and I was dressed in bulky clothes.....my riding conditions were not ideal.  I also have a modified engine (Wiseco 95mm, Stage 1 cam, Mikuni VM carb, big air cleaner, ported head, nice exhaust), and the GPS speedo confirmed about a 1/2 second improvement in the 0-60 mph time - I really didn't notice any negative effect from the lighter flywheel....but I could only ride for about 15 minutes before my hands were numb and I had to go get warmed up.

Lancer and Verslagen are going over to the "light side", and hopefully they can get some testing done soon.  So far....every engine that the flywheel has been mounted on is modified, as those of us who are looking for more power/speed have already made changes.

I will post the details on the tool rental soon.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #12 - 02/20/17 at 05:47:04

Armen , Some clarification please , is a drunken pig an actual intoxified swine or just a fat chick picked up at the local bar ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #13 - 02/20/17 at 05:50:15

Good question. Although other than Arnold Ziffle, I don't know of many pigs that partake in alcohol.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #14 - 02/20/17 at 06:01:59

I guess both could have a adverse affect on a waterbed ! Grin

The Topic Terminator