What did I do? (Read 312 times)
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Re: What did I do?
Reply #15 - 02/17/17 at 14:54:06

I'm with JoG. Focus on the flasher wiring. See if there's power to the flasher relay. see if there's continuity between the can and indicator bulb terminals. check the switch has continuity. easy things but takes time. At least it's free. Use a test light or multimeter. You should buy a digital multimeter anyway. They're handy. You can make a tst light in minutes from a 12v bulb 2 bits of wire and 2 alligator clips. Or buy one.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #16 - 02/17/17 at 15:09:04

Hit the flasher relay a couple times with a screwdriver handle !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #17 - 02/17/17 at 15:21:24

The flasher relay is a small black box in a rubber holder located near the neck of the bike ,on the right side ,tucked under the forward part of the tank.It has two blades at right angles to each other,that plug into the connector ,I'd check here first as it controls both left and right signals ,you might also try to replace it with a auto relay for a test.(It'll plug right in)Do  you have stock turn signals ? do you have after market signals with duel filament front bulbs?More info would help!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
ZenThumper
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 02/17/17 at 16:00:09

So I have power into the relay.  I don't have access at the moment to another one to test, but will try later.  I have no power to my signals (as expected).  I also don't have power to the rear back switch.  I assume I should, as I have power to the tail light wires.  

Everything else seems to have power to it.

IP Logged
ZenThumper
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 02/17/17 at 16:08:09

Just checked the signal switch and getting power from both the hazards and regular switch.  When I remove the relay I no longer get power to the switch.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #20 - 02/17/17 at 18:07:54

zen ,you didn't answer my questions about the signals ,stock or after market? did you test the fuses? does the bike start? try swapping the two fuses,do the lights work ,does the bike still start?

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #21 - 02/17/17 at 18:13:30

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1294779818

Maybe not helpful to this post but here ya go anyway.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
ZenThumper
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 02/17/17 at 18:24:07

Batman sorry, I guess I didn't see it.  The signals are aftermarket.  I checked the fuses and flipped them both.  Still nothing.  As for the bike starting, the bike is being put back together and the tank is getting paint.  I keep being told that it could be the relay, so I am going to try to pick one up tomorrow and see what happens.  

Weird thing is when I tested the power of the relay, I got juice.  I'm ready to try anything at this point.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #23 - 02/17/17 at 19:21:07

One fuse is for decompressor relay & selenoid and the other fuse is for everything else
Do the turn signals light up but don't flash or not work at all ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #24 - 02/17/17 at 20:38:14

Oboy, aftermarket,,
Did you install them yourself?
Have you ever seen them work?
Are they LED?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #25 - 02/17/17 at 23:28:11

ARE they hooked up right? there was three wires running to the front signals because they were double filament bulbs,the second filament used for running lights, the solid color wire on each side (gray I think) were used for the running lights, If your new signals are single filament these wires should be taped off and not used.The remaining wires should be two black and white grounds that connect to black wires coming from the new lights, and a yellow and brown wire that is connected to the red wires(guessing) that come from each light.The rears are the same, black to black and white ,red to yellow, red to brown.........JOG"s question of LED's is a concern because some LED's run off twelve volts while others run off lower voltage and need an adapter .LED's must be hooked up ground to ground, positive to positive ,if polarity is reversed, they will not function.

IP Logged
ZenThumper
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 02/18/17 at 07:55:53

Yes these are two wire lights and no the are not LED.  Just prior to me arching the battery everything was working.  I did tape off the third wire.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #27 - 02/18/17 at 08:48:45

If you haven't another flasher unit yet,you could take a small piece of wire stripped at both ends , and insert it were the flasher goes,then try your signals ,they should light but won't flash,if they do your flasher unit is bad ,if they don't you have a wiring problem.

IP Logged
ZenThumper
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 02/18/17 at 11:44:00

found a used flasher relay, but it didn't help.  I will start looking at all the wiring.  

Question.  if the wiring is bad to the back lights, would it effect the front lights?  or visa versa?

IP Logged
ZenThumper
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 02/18/17 at 12:08:43

So I disconnected the back lights and the front onset started working.   But as soon as I connected either of the two back it shut off.  So I will tear apart the wiring to the back.  

If one wire is bad to the back, let's say the right blinker, shouldn't the left one work if the right is disconnected?  Or is there an issue further up the wiring harness?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/21/24 at 12:32:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What did I do?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.