ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Carb issue
Reply #31 - 02/21/17 at 10:15:40

batman wrote on 02/21/17 at 09:44:02:
Dave ,your stunningly depressing! Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

An engineer should never pass up a chance to use the the crap that they made us memorize in college!
Grin

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Hoodlum333
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 02/21/17 at 19:10:41

Holy cow, thanks Dave. That was quite the knowledge bomb you just dropped....Much appreciated. I will difinately remove the filter.

I have a peanut tank and the distance between the petcock and the carb fuel nipple is probably 9" of hose wound under my tank, and only about a 4.5" drop, so what you are saying makes sense. Plus I just downgraded from 3/8 to 1/4 fuel line due to cramped quarters. Looks like adding further restriction by way of an inline filter may not have been to bright. I will address this for sure after I clean the carb again. Thanks for the physics lesson  Shocked

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #33 - 02/22/17 at 03:13:59

And......I never even mentioned the negative effects of the wetted perimeter in comparison to the flow area!  As the tube gets smaller the frictional boundary has more influence on the flow at the center of the moving liquid.
Shocked

The frictional boundary at the wetted perimeter is what causes the liquid at the outer diameter to flow slower than the center......think of how the center of the river flows faster than the water at the banks.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Hoodlum333
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 02/22/17 at 08:16:03

Done and done. It is raining so I didn't take her out, but she ran for ten minutes in the garage without dying. The bike ran fine two months ago until I got a flat and my lazy a$$ took forever fixing it....and I live in Florida! Missed alot of riding. Anyway, I don't know what the hell the problem was unless it was merely coincidental-which I think happens far to often. When it rains it pours. Once I decided to clean the carb, I think I just got a little crazy with things that didn't necessarily need fixin'. Thanks much guys for all your info. I know all the info provided could be found on a myriad of threads, but I got three kids and no time to play on the internet...so thanks for you patience.

I'm super stoked that I fixed this with my own hands.

Savage Greg - Thanks for your awesome Carb Specs sticky

Serowbot - Thanks for the informative "Carb tuning for beginners" sticky.

Verslagen 1 - thanks for helping me understand the petcock.

Justin o guy2 - Thanks for TONS of info and also for recommending Berrymans, that stuff rocks!

Batman - thanks to you also for TONS of info and sticking with me with very helpful replies. The inline filter was an issue (not the original problem, but it added to the a$$pain.) Also, the JIS screwdriver debacle was very informative....I had no idea.

Island Road - I made two homemade "JIS" drivers based off your advise. I'm calling them Redneck Industry Standard and they have been promoted from the toolbox to the pegboard. Thanks much!

Lancer - Thanks for your detailed carb cleaning tips. It helped immensely.

Last but not least, thanks Dave for the physics and "common sense" class. I'm a career Soldier and not an engineer, so us knuckle-draggers need a little help now and then. I now have unobstructed fuel at the largest angle and shortest hose length I could manage.

My only remaining question is why didn't anyone tell me not to install float upside-down?  Grin Angry Roll Eyes If you're curious, it causes fuel to shoot out the bowl vents. That was fun.

Thanks again guys. I learned ALOT and I enjoyed it. You make it enjoyable for a novice mechanic to have a project bike.

-Rick

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #35 - 02/22/17 at 19:15:09

333 Hope it runs well! We didn't tell you about the float because you didn't ask! Smiley Smiley Smiley BUT to tell the truth I didn't know it would even fit that way ,so now you've thought me something new!

« Last Edit: 02/25/17 at 10:31:56 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Hoodlum333
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 02/27/17 at 06:50:24

One more question all....I don't want to start a new thread so hopefully this is read. Bike starts and runs fine. However, if I shut her off after a ride, she revs really high upon restart...for about 15-30 seconds and then she goes back down to normal RPMs. This is with no choke, no throttle, and the length of the ride has not mattered. Also, I live in Florida where the temp is relatively the same, so I don't think that matters either.

I thought cleaning the carb and running a new fuel line may fix this. I had the same problem before the carb rebuild, but the problem remains. It is not a huge issue, just kind of embarrassing and I would just prefer it not happen. Any thoughts?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #37 - 02/27/17 at 08:11:28

333,I tend to think your float level may still be a little high,I'd try closing the petcock off, a minute or two before stopping the motor, and not turning it on until after restarting . If you no longer have the high revs ,this may be the cause,and you might have your idle set a bit to high,which would compound the effect, as the bike starts runnining the use of fuel tends to drop the level and you return to a normal idle.I would reset the float level toward it's high end setting 1.16 " or 29.4mm as this would close the float valve earlier bringing the level down.

« Last Edit: 02/28/17 at 16:03:40 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Hoodlum333
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #38 - 02/27/17 at 10:29:22

Thanks Batman, I will give that a shot.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3