Carb issue (Read 535 times)
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Carb issue
Reply #15 - 02/19/17 at 07:29:09

PB, some have had trouble in the past with running the fuel line in a way to prevent the filter from becoming air bound,also these filters tend to trap and hold water which can be another problem. Anything small enough to pass through the screen on the petcock is not large enough to plug up jets or passages in the carb so there use seems to be redundant . If you feel you must, use one,but they're more likely to be a problem than a cure. having no fuel flow problems after 16,000 miles(40mpg=4000 gallons of fuel) may be because any dirt was stopped at the petcock filter,never getting to the inline filter?If you had told me you had to change the filter in the course of three years, I would be more inclined to think it had actually done something!

« Last Edit: 02/20/17 at 12:49:04 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Hoodlum333
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 02/19/17 at 14:18:19

Thanks for the input. Couple questions/comments...
1. I heard something about an impact screwdriver set from harbor freight. Is this something I should explore or could I do more damage than good? How to I get these stubborn internal screws loose without damaging them?
2. I will test the fuel flow with and without the inline filter. Maybe my petcock needs to be rebuilt/replaced.
3. When I purchased the bike it had an aftermarket pod filter on the carb and an aftermarket exhaust. I do not know what mods were done to the carb (ie rejetting). It ran strong for months after I purchased it. Should I be concerned about this?

Thanks again for the input guys.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #17 - 02/19/17 at 14:49:46

333, first off the screws on these bikes are JIS ( japanese industrial standard) they may look like phillipshead but the x shape is shallower .you should pick up the JIS drivers so as not to strip out the heads of these screws,as phillipheads don't insert fully into the slots.                    A impact driver can be useful for larger screws & bolts ,but you might use penetrating oil just place a screwdriver in small screws and tap them lightly with a hammer before turning.     I wouldn't be concerned with the jetting right now ,there's a good chance it was already done, and you said it had been running before,so it must be at least workable,you can adjust it later when your up and running.......I think your petcock is ok you have plenty going to the carb!

IP Logged
Hoodlum333
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 02/19/17 at 14:54:57

So much I don't know. Never heard of JIS. Thank you. I am going to pep boys tonight for some spray berrymans and I will look for JIS screw drivers. Thanks again!

IP Logged
Hoodlum333
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 02/19/17 at 16:13:15

Dang....Nowhere to buy JIS screwdrivers locally. All special order. Is there a type of precision screwdriver set, like say Milwaukee from home depot that would work as a viable substitute?

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #20 - 02/19/17 at 17:57:34

File down the tip of a #2 Phillips screwdriver until it seats snuggly in the JIS screw. It works a treat, even on screws with a damaged head.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Hoodlum333
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 02/20/17 at 04:04:21

Great idea!!! Thanks island.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #22 - 02/20/17 at 12:44:24

Island road is correct it can be done ,I would advise you to use a hand file to reshape the point ,a grinder would tend to over heat the point and it would lose it's hardness.     You might try Sears (craftsman tools)

IP Logged
Hoodlum333
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 02/20/17 at 12:58:56

Yes, gonna hand file.

Regarding the inline fuel filter discussed earlier, I turned off the petcock and removed the carb. The fuel stopped flowing, but the inline fuel filter is full (it is clear so I can see it.) It is not a vacuum petcock. So, does the carb actually pull in the fuel? The remaining fuel in the filter would leave me to believe that the filter actually DOES restrict the fuel flow, even though it appeared to flow the same with or without the filter.  Undecided

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #24 - 02/20/17 at 14:05:36

I put them in the screwdriver and poke them up against the bench grinder. Only takes a couple of seconds. I've put them in the impact and seen no problems.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #25 - 02/20/17 at 19:48:10

333 , When you closed the petcock ,the fuel level above the filter dropped a little and formed a vacuum holding the fuel in the filter.the carb doesn't pull fuel in,it flows by gravity ,when the petcock is open gas flows to the carb and is replaced by air coming through the filler cap on the tank,which is vented .

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 02/21/17 at 05:56:02

Hoodlum333 wrote on 02/20/17 at 12:58:56:
Yes, gonna hand file.

Regarding the inline fuel filter discussed earlier, I turned off the petcock and removed the carb. The fuel stopped flowing, but the inline fuel filter is full (it is clear so I can see it.) It is not a vacuum petcock. So, does the carb actually pull in the fuel? The remaining fuel in the filter would leave me to believe that the filter actually DOES restrict the fuel flow, even though it appeared to flow the same with or without the filter.  Undecided

Inline fuel filters can be problematic.  The stock fuel line is relatively small, and the problem with the fuel filters is the nipple end has a really small hole through it....an air bubble can get trapped in the small passage and block the flow of fuel....the air is trying to go up - while the fuel is trying to flow down - and nothing flows.

This issue has been discussed before...some people can use the inline filters and never had a problem, some never get them to work, and some folks get them to work when first installed - then they cause problems later on and the problem is hard to troubleshoot....as it has been working OK for many miles.

Here is a link to the fuel filter discussion thread in the Tech Section.  Hondalavis tried one and it worked for a while...then didn't.  Go to post #17 to read about his issues.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1211846392

In my opinion, the problem with installing a filter - is that the Suzuki Savage uses gravity to get the fuel to flow.  A gallon of gasoline weights 6.07 pounds per gallon - or about 45 pounds per cubic foot.  This means that each 3.17 feet of height results in about 1 pound per square inch of pressure.  I don't have a bike here to measure - but if there is about 16" from the top of the fuel tank to the float bowl.......there is only 0.4 psi attempting to push the fuel past the float needle.  As the fuel level drops the pressure becomes even less.  The result is that adding a restriction in the fuel line (filter with small openings in the nipples) is a very bad idea......look at the nipples on the petcock and carb and you will see that they are made of very thin tubing and don't reduce the flow diameter below the size of the rubber tubing - while the plastic filters are made of thick plastic and do reduce the opening size dramically.  At these small diameters, the changes in the area of the tube is drastic.  The stock hose is 9mm, which is a diameter of 0.354 inches and has an internal area of 0.0986".  A 5/16" hose is the closest inch size, and that drops the internal area to 0.0767 sq. in - which is a reduction of 22%.  If you reduce that size to 1/4", the area drops to 0.0491 sq. in. - which is a reduction of 50%....you have cut the internal flow area in half!  If you are installing 1/4" fuel filter....and it has thick plastic nipples - it will be even worse....and it can easily trap air bubbles that cause the fuel to stop flowing.

« Last Edit: 02/21/17 at 08:09:38 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #27 - 02/21/17 at 07:20:13

A modern teacher would drop the chalk and go sit at the desk now.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #28 - 02/21/17 at 07:59:34

Grin Grin Grin Cool

Agreed.

IP Logged