Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
two years and less than 1000 miles. Worthless??? (Read 725 times)
wakosama

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX
Re: two years and less than 1000 miles. Worthless?
Reply #30 - 04/12/17 at 07:40:15

I"m using the original bolts that held the savage petcock on.  the washers were just thin metal, no rubber inserts? don't know about special washers? really don't recall them at all. nothing in the parts can either???

don't know how to verify if it's tank seam is leaking.  

the gas is behind the raptor not in front at the lever.

But it sounds like I got a washer problem??? Never saw any rubber insert washers.?  whatever, the stupids again.

where can I get them... Auto parts store, ask for what??

thanks. Sad

Mich Cdr II 140/90R & 100/90F, raised seat, windscreen, clubman bars, T-Kat brace, Raptor, HD 64707-08, thumb decomp,
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #31 - 04/12/17 at 07:45:25

The washers are steel - with rubber inserts.

I don't think you will find them at an auto parts store....some stuff is very specific and you need to get it from Suzuki.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 04/12/17 at 07:50:16

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Suzuki/Motorcycle/1996/LS650P/FUEL+thin...

Alt: http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Suzuki/Motorcycle/1996/LS650P/parts.html

# 4 in the picture.

EDIT: Link not gong to the "Fuel C0ck" section for some reason.  Click that then look at #4.

one of the forbidden words alternate added- V1

« Last Edit: 04/12/17 at 09:00:32 by verslagen1 »  
  IP Logged
wakosama

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX
Reply #33 - 04/12/17 at 10:25:40

thanks.  found some in "Humble". A lesson in that?  they look like black painted washers and also available at a farther suzuki marine store. O'reily's did not have OEM or equivalent.

And, In fact I was/am still using the original washers, the 12 yr old ones.  The coating has sorta just given up I guess.  Wonder, are these single use washers?  

We'll install and see soon.  Undecided

Mich Cdr II 140/90R & 100/90F, raised seat, windscreen, clubman bars, T-Kat brace, Raptor, HD 64707-08, thumb decomp,
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #34 - 04/12/17 at 12:02:47

Hey Wakosama, sorry to hear you are still having issues with the bike. I went for a little ride on Saturday and Sunday in the car I saw a guy on a bike that looked like a Savage and thought maybe it was you.

Get that sucker working and let's go for a ride. If I can help with anything just let me know.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #35 - 04/14/17 at 03:51:26

FWIW, I've used a smear of permatex fuel-safe gasket maker on 2 raptors without any problem or leak.  Cool

IP Logged
wakosama

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX
Reply #36 - 04/16/17 at 10:02:25

Good day,

Used the new OEM washers and smears of Permatex gas resistant sealant.  Still no leaks, no vapors; and it runs.

Thank you for all the help.  We are grateful. Smiley

Happy Easter

IP Logged
wakosama

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX
Reply #37 - 05/09/17 at 07:36:24

I got to ride it a whole 387 587 miles.

Wet gas under the petcock again this am...

Already installed the new OEM washers and the gas resistant sealant as
advised. Blew out the cap vents.  Worked for awhile...

I never had this problem when the OEM petcock worked?

Well.?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #38 - 05/09/17 at 08:10:29

When you removed the original petcock...likely the paint chipped off and now the bottom of the tank is uneven, and the O-ring can't get seated.  Not sure what sealing you used - but it sounds like it worked up until the fuel softened it up.

Somehow you need to get the bottom of the tank smooth where the petcock O-ring seals.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
wakosama

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX
Reply #39 - 05/09/17 at 08:32:29

I took care of abrading/cleaning tank and petcock last time.  It worked since then until today. permatex gas resistant per here. no burrs. new washers.  

maybe it got too hot and the cap locked up again... maybe theres a leak in the tank seam that leaks under pressure... maybe your're right and I didn't clean it good enough..

I DON'T KNOW... and I'm tired and I missed the window before the rain again.

IP Logged
wakosama

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX
Reply #40 - 05/09/17 at 14:05:02

So I dried off the petcock and waited.  it stayed dry.  

BUT... it feels like the gas comes from farther under the tank, leaks down behind the petcock,  then down to the lower left corner of the tank underneath where I find the wet gas... 20 min after wiping, wet gas underneath [petcock still dry].  wow... Huh

so you actually did help me fix/replace the really broken petcock... and it still works.  And it's something else.

any other notorious leaks under the tank?  LOL right?  thanks

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #41 - 05/09/17 at 14:19:11

Probably a crack in a weld.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #42 - 05/09/17 at 14:51:56

Dang, sounds like a pain.  These really are reliable little bikes.  You just need to get this one sorted out.
Has the bike ever been down or sustained any impact to the tank?

At this point, it may be better to take the tank off, fill it with a little gas and visually inspect for the leak.  With the Raptor, you don't have to drain the tank to remove it.  Just turn the petc0ck off, disconnect the fuel line, unscrew the speedometer cable (careful not to lose the o-ring on there!), begin to remove the tank and reach under to disconnect the electricals.  Be sure you have a place ready to set the tank down already; folded up towel or such.  All this after removing the seat, of course.

Put some gas in there and visually inspect for the leak.  If it's a seam, it may be easier (and certainly quicker) to pick up a used one rather than get your repaired and repainted.

My gas cap will leak if I get too enthusiastic and fill up into the neck.  It won't leak until I tip the bike upright off the side stand.  That's when I get irritated and look for the paper towels.  I've gotten in the habit of pressing down on the cap while standing the bike up but it doesn't always help.  I do this far too often.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #43 - 05/09/17 at 16:00:16

some rear mounting brackets on the tank have been known to break (snap ) I'd look in that area,it's near the petcock ,maybe the mount pulled away from the tank and there's a crack or pin hole leak around the weld .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Jarhead-CO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Muncy, Pa
Reply #44 - 05/09/17 at 23:21:41

I don't know how much disposable income you have but there are like 2 people selling tanks in the marketplace might be easier to just grab a new tank if you can strike a good deal.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:21:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › two years and less than 1000 miles. Worthless???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.