Bike won't speed up (Read 106 times)
Zach906
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bike won't speed up
05/09/17 at 07:09:29

Hi, first post as a new member.
I recently bought a 2001 Suzuki savage with 3300 miles on it.
It's been great until recently it started getting slower and slower. I struggled younger past 20mph the other day and decided to quit riding.

What's the issue? I'm trying not to bias your opinions but I have tried playing with the clutch cable and I got new gas. It sounds like the bike wants to go it just doesn't.

Thanks

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Bike won't speed up
Reply #1 - 05/09/17 at 09:07:11

You need to give us a lot more information if you want any good guesses.

Does the engine speed up....but the bike still goes slow?
Does the engine run smoothly...but just doesn't have power?
What kind of oil are you using?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Zach906
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/09/17 at 09:43:44

The engine speeds up, everything sounds great. First thing I did was change the oil. I put 10w 40 synthetic motorcycle Castro oil in it 20 minutes ago.
Just no acceleration.
I'm leaning towards clutch, I've adjusted the cable and no help. I can put it in first disengage the clutch and the bike doesn't hardly even pull forward and won't stall.

Thanks

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 05/09/17 at 09:58:10

Zach906 wrote on 05/09/17 at 09:43:44:
The engine speeds up, everything sounds great. First thing I did was change the oil. I put 10w 40 synthetic motorcycle Castro oil in it 20 minutes ago.
Just no acceleration.

What kind of oil was in it before the Castrol?

What did you do to "adjust" the clutch?

Where is the location of the chrome clutch lever down at the transmission...in relation to the two indicator marks that are cast into the clutch housing?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 05/09/17 at 10:35:09

If it was working before you changed the oil, and SUDDENLY, the thing won't accelerate, the cable didn't magically get shorter and prevent the clutch from clamping down. The Oil isn't okay for our clutch. Expensive oil, special oil, with all the Friction Modifiers that would keep that new car running for a million miles won't work with the clutch. Every
Gee Whiz, is it still doing it
Test is scorching the crap into the clutch.
Dump the oil, put Rotella T 15/40 in, and maybe it will be okay. Might have to pull the clutch and clean it, might get away with dumping oil and flushing a couple of times.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #5 - 05/09/17 at 15:23:52

Does the Castrol pack say the oil is suitable for wet clutches? Does the engine speed up, but not the bike? Does the rear wheel turn freely?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Zach906
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/10/17 at 13:02:17

I am not sure what oil was in it before I changed it. I bought it 200 miles ago. I probably should've changed it when I bought it even though the guy said he just changed it and it looked clean. Yes the Castro oil was for wet clutch motorcycles. I only changed the oil to investigate the old oil for signs of my clutch. Me changing the oil did not cause this to suddenly happen. I only put the Castro in it, because I knew I'd be dumping the oil again to redo the clutch plates.
Justin O guy should read before being an not a very nice person for no reason. My impression of these posts is not to be an ads but to be helpful and provide tips. Thank you everyone else.i am replacing the clutch today/tomorrow and I'll post again to let you know. I'll put the best oil in it I can find btw.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #7 - 05/10/17 at 13:11:13

Zach, the Shell Rotella mentioned on this forum is the VERY popular choice and should be readily available in most US states, apparently Walmart have it. Just make sure you get the right Rotella as there are several ratings for this brand.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Zach906
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/10/17 at 13:13:03

Thank you will do!

Why is it the best?

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #9 - 05/10/17 at 13:27:50

Zach906 wrote on 05/10/17 at 13:13:03:
Thank you will do!

Why is it the best?

Short answer is our bikes are kinda old school, old tech.  The Rotella is also old school and has the right chemicals/minerals for our bike.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 12:23:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike won't speed up

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.