Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newbie with a 2004. Some clarification please. (Read 125 times)
GreasyJonny
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbie with a 2004. Some clarification please.
05/09/17 at 10:31:49

Howdy, just picked up a 2004 ls650 for the wife. 16k miles. I've read all the beginner threads so I'm already underway with picking up a raptor, modded tensioner, cam chain, new jets from lancer, plugs, rotella and brake fluid, and will tear into her when they are all acquired.
Few questions. Anything else I should be addressing when I do that? How difficult is it to change the fork oil? What's the proper weight oil for the forks? With the raptor, will the fuel have to be shut off at the petcock whenever it's not being ridden? I'd like to swap out the air intake with a k&n pod, which pod fits without any other modifications (only removing air box)?
Thanks in advance

Jonny

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Newbie with a 2004. Some clarification please.
Reply #1 - 05/09/17 at 13:23:41

I have to run to a meeting - but a few quick comments before I go.

The raptor should be turned off at the end of the day.....I never shut mine off on the stops for a rest, fuel, lunch break - etc.  It does get shut off at the end of the ride for that day.

Why do you want a POD filter on your wife's bike?  The stock air box works just fine for the HP of the engine - without other modifications the engine runs just fine with the stock air box.....and the paper filter works fine - or you can put a K&N drop in filter if you want a filter you have to clean and oil.  The POD filters are sometimes hard to get the carb jetted properly...and the wrong POD filter can make it impossible if it blocks the vent at the top of the carb inlet.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 05/09/17 at 13:36:28

The tensioner mod means you don't need a new cam chain or the labor involved .you  leave the old chain in place and only replace the tensioner.changing fork oil involves removing the fork tubes from the upper and lower clamps ,take out the fork springs an letting them drain upside down(overnight is good) ,fork oil is 15 weight or dexron ATF,441cc/14.91 us oz. per each fork.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #3 - 05/09/17 at 13:47:35

I've got into the habit of turning the Raptor to off whenever I park the bike - just in case some kid knocks the bike over while I'm in the coffee shop. If I ever find the bike lying on its side I'd prefer not to also find it in a puddle of fuel! Cool

... BTW, you can get down the road about 200m on the fuel that sits in  the float bowl. Don't ask how I know.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/09/17 at 13:47:39

GreasyJonny wrote on 05/09/17 at 10:31:49:
How difficult is it to change the fork oil? What's the proper weight oil for the forks?

Can be as easy as drop the forks and tip them over into a can.
Replacing seals, a little more difficult.  Can be done in a day... takes a long time to watch oil drip.   Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #5 - 05/09/17 at 14:17:52

GreasyJonny wrote on 05/09/17 at 10:31:49:
How difficult is it to change the fork oil? What's the proper weight oil for the forks?

Welcome Jonny.

The difficulty of any motorcycle maintenance is relative to your prior experience. For me, fork oil changes are easy and can be done in less than an hour. For a first timer it can be frustrating just figuring out hw to remove the front tire.

Use 5wt fork oil with an air-gap of 75mm. I use a small syringe and a pony clip for measurement.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
GreasyJonny
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/09/17 at 16:16:37

batman wrote on 05/09/17 at 13:36:28:
The tensioner mod means you don't need a new cam chain or the labor involved .you  leave the old chain in place and only replace the tensioner.changing fork oil involves removing the fork tubes from the upper and lower clamps ,take out the fork springs an letting them drain upside down(overnight is good) ,fork oil is 15 weight or dexron ATF,441cc/14.91 us oz. per each fork.

Wow, really? No need to replace the chain? That's awesome, good $50 price difference between the chain and the tensioner. Noted. See you guys already helping. Thanks!

IP Logged
GreasyJonny
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/09/17 at 16:20:15

Dave wrote on 05/09/17 at 13:23:41:
I have to run to a meeting - but a few quick comments before I go.

The raptor should be turned off at the end of the day.....I never shut mine off on the stops for a rest, fuel, lunch break - etc.  It does get shut off at the end of the ride for that day.

Why do you want a POD filter on your wife's bike?  The stock air box works just fine for the HP of the engine - without other modifications the engine runs just fine with the stock air box.....and the paper filter works fine - or you can put a K&N drop in filter if you want a filter you have to clean and oil.  The POD filters are sometimes hard to get the carb jetted properly...and the wrong POD filter can make it impossible if it blocks the vent at the top of the carb inlet.

Honestly, for looks mostly. She's a fan of that custom look that comes with a large open area in the middle of the frame. Would like to put on the pod filter, remove the airbox and put the battery where the airbox was, to open it up.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 05/09/17 at 19:56:22

The open look can be done by removing the battery box,a smaller battery can be hidden under the forward part of the swing arm ,bolted to the muffler support bracket. It 's a mod that's been done by a few others.This leave the air filter bow and side panel inplace and if your looking for better performance ,you should check out OLDFELLER's air cleaner in the Tech. section,I use one ,it is a reusable ,high performance air cleaner you can make yourself using the stock air filter frame and abuot $10 in materials...... Yes, a new cam chain is not needed, the whole idea of the VERCY tensioner is to get max life out of the stock chain,when the tensioner is at it's limit the chain is not ,the chain stretch is only at about half what Suzuki  specs allow before it needs replacement.

IP Logged
GreasyJonny
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/10/17 at 15:53:27

batman wrote on 05/09/17 at 19:56:22:
The open look can be done by removing the battery box,a smaller battery can be hidden under the forward part of the swing arm ,bolted to the muffler support bracket. It 's a mod that's been done by a few others.This leave the air filter bow and side panel inplace and if your looking for better performance ,you should check out OLDFELLER's air cleaner in the Tech. section,I use one ,it is a reusable ,high performance air cleaner you can make yourself using the stock air filter frame and abuot $10 in materials...... Yes, a new cam chain is not needed, the whole idea of the VERCY tensioner is to get max life out of the stock chain,when the tensioner is at it's limit the chain is not ,the chain stretch is only at about half what Suzuki  specs allow before it needs replacement.

I checked out old fellers mod, and will def do that. I sent you an email for another question. Thanks

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 05/10/17 at 19:02:50

John, I no longer have an email address ,send a message .

IP Logged
GreasyJonny
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/10/17 at 19:50:14

batman wrote on 05/10/17 at 19:02:50:
John, I no longer have an email address ,send a message .

It doesn't let me send messages yet. So I'll just put my ignorance on full display here. So I have a 2004 with 16k miles. I don't have my own work space so I'll be using a buddies workshop to do maintenance on my bike. But that means I can't leave it there half open waiting on parts. My local dealer doesn't stock any of the pertinent parts we've been discussing so I need to have them available before I start working on them. So my question is, At this mileage and with the versys mod what parts should I get ahead of time to swap out when I do the mod. Just the tensioner? Thanks for your help.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 05/10/17 at 19:58:57

You'll need the clutch cover gasket.
Take a look at your clutch lever arm on the back of the case.
Where is it in relation to the 2 marks behind it when you pull up on it, not with the lever on the bar, just pull up and look at it.
Since the throwout rods are cheap, get all 3 but you probably have the middle one.
you can do the job w/out changing the oil, but oil, and filter if needed.
get a tube of anti sieze, and you might want to lube the cable.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #13 - 05/10/17 at 20:12:36

See John ,that wasn't so bad ! Versy gave you the straight dope!and your question wasn't at all silly, I would be careful taking off the tiny snap ring holding the tensioner  body on the stud,dont bend it (snap ring pliers would be good) and place a rag under everything so it doesn't fall into the bottom of the cases.( I think you can message after you have ten posts)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:33:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie with a 2004. Some clarification please.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.