Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
two years and less than 1000 miles. Worthless??? (Read 725 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: two years and less than 1000 miles. Worthless?
Reply #15 - 04/09/17 at 04:50:08

The stock petcock and the Raptor have an O-ring seal, and it seals against the bottom of the tank.  Also the screws use special washers that have a rubber seal to keep the fuel from leaking around the head of the screws.

If the bottom of your tank had peeling paint......the O-ring may not be able to seal completely.

Find out where your leak is.......it really shouldn't be hard to fix.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 04/09/17 at 04:50:27

There is a black rubber gasket under the raptor.  It should have been there when you installed it.  If it wasn't there, you could probably use the stock gasket.  (But it has to fit properly for it to work.)  Or maybe it's there and you didn't realize it?

Sounds like you really need to make friends with someone who is mechanically inclined.  Most of these things aren't rocket science.  They are more common sense for many of us who grew up fixing things or had parents who taught us how to work on things.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #17 - 04/09/17 at 06:33:36

There is a rubber perimeter gasket that goes between the fuel valve and the gasket.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
wakosama

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX
Reply #18 - 04/09/17 at 09:12:07

did the Raptor no problem.  installed everything that was there. no big gaskets coming off or going on, what was part of the petcocks that I saw. rode  80 filled up and...

then the gas cap started leaking.... so I cleaned it, blew the vents and shimmed the cap gasket, and then it started smelling. so I redid the cap gasket shim from an oil bottle and recleaned the vents and reinstalled it per the pictures.

no pics of the gas cap in CD that I could find.   and this never happened until the raptor so it's something new too.  

have a blessed day.

Mich Cdr II 140/90R & 100/90F, raised seat, windscreen, clubman bars, T-Kat brace, Raptor, HD 64707-08, thumb decomp,
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #19 - 04/09/17 at 14:14:26

Is the gas cap leaking?is gas running down the tank? if not ,you just filled the tank ,the gas comes from a tank under ground at 55 degrees ,you fill the tank in the sun and heat of Texas, the gas warms ,creating pressure and fumes that vent out of the tank through the gas cap,if that's what you smell it's normal. It never happened before because any pressure that built up in the tank leaked out your stock petcock.

« Last Edit: 04/09/17 at 23:20:18 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 04/09/17 at 18:33:35

And ya can't fill it up into the tube.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
wakosama

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX
Reply #21 - 04/10/17 at 06:21:02

Thanks everyone. it's obvious now I messed up the raptor install. the leak was back underneath and just a seep at first.  

No rubber gasket in the package though, and of course I threw away the old petcock.

Assuming I did forgot the rubber gasket, or damaged it, where do I get another one?  Can I use the 'mega' black RTV stuff?

Now, this is at least the third time I've messed up, and I'm wondering if I should be doing this?  worried about the next thing I'll forget being more serious, and it's not so easy to fix people.

So, drain tank and check the raptor is all I can think of now...

at  least it might be cooler today

Mich Cdr II 140/90R & 100/90F, raised seat, windscreen, clubman bars, T-Kat brace, Raptor, HD 64707-08, thumb decomp,
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 04/10/17 at 06:58:42

Don't use RTV - it is not fuel proof and gasoline quickly dissolves it.

The O-ring should have been on the petcock - it is not loose, it sits in a recessed channel and only sticks up a little bit.  You probably didn't notice it - but it likely was already in the petcock.

I you need a new O-ring - it is part number 4X8-24512-00-00, and you can get it at any Yamaha dealer on online parts seller.

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2002-yamaha-raptor-660r-yfm660rp/o/m14573...

IP Logged
wakosama

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX
Reply #23 - 04/10/17 at 08:24:25

Gasket/O-ring was in the groove, looked fine, cleaned the tank opening several times [a paint chip?] , tightened it up, half a tank back in.  waiting... for the rain to stop too.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #24 - 04/10/17 at 15:51:01

My first savage leaked. I shimmed the cap rubber and sanded the ring it lands on.
Mask around inside the filler neck, plug it up sagging in. A hard flat block and some 220 grit.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #25 - 04/11/17 at 21:54:08

My Raptor came with no o ring either. Made a cork gasket from the sprue part of a small block rocker cover gasket and all's well. Cork loves fuel.

IP Logged
wakosama

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX
Reply #26 - 04/12/17 at 06:52:33

the leak is at the petcock/tank.  took it apart again. chamfered the tank openings, cleaned off the loose paint twice, sanded it smooth. refit the petcock, used and extra washer in case the bolt had bottomed out, carefully put it all together tight,  with a cup of gas.

also have done the cap again and it passes air freely thru the vents, and I did flip the cap gasket over.

seemed dry last nite.  wet gas this am.  

really not understainnding

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 04/12/17 at 07:04:56

Okay, it sounds like you are doing the right things.  Are you sure your tank isn't leaking on a seam near the petcock?  Or is the petcock leaking around the lever?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #28 - 04/12/17 at 07:20:13

What kind of washers are you using on the screws holding the petcock on?

The washers need to have a rubber seal built into them.....the original washers do.

IP Logged
wakosama

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX
Reply #29 - 04/12/17 at 07:29:36

excuse me, there was wet gas behind the raptor under the tank again, not a film. wet

Seemed tight and the undamaged rubber gasket in the groove when I left it last night.  I blew air thru the cap vents then and now, and they're clear.

I'll have it empty, with the raptor off in a few...  glad it's rainy again today.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:21:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › two years and less than 1000 miles. Worthless???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.