Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Phase 2 Mod Plan for Thumpy (Read 335 times)
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Re: Phase 2 Mod Plan for Thumpy
Reply #15 - 02/09/17 at 07:31:39

I'm not sure what oil the mechanic who did my engine work used. I'll give him a call about that.
Most of the time I let the clutch out before hitting the gas unless I'm trying to overtake cars on the highway and such.
But the scenario I described happens when I'm already cruising along not even using the cluctch.
It happens in 4th gear too but the lag time is shorter by roughly half.

Does it damage the clutch when it slips?

How long would you say it takes to take it apart and remove the glazing as described?
Is it something I can do in my driveway or do I need to be in a cleaner shop environment?
Does this require special tools?

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 02/09/17 at 09:31:05

Find out what oil is in the bike....if it is a car oil with friction modifiers....that is what is causing the clutch slip.

You might have some luck if you change the oil and use a proper oil like Rotella T.

Does it hurt to have a slipping clutch - it isn't a great thing to have happen, and likely the more you ride it the worse it will get.  Eventually things will wear out and require the replacement of clutch discs - which isn't all that cheap.

How long does it take to remove and clean the clutch discs.....I have no idea of your ability or what is in your shop.  I could get it done in a couple of hours and I would have a clutch cover gasket on hand in case that tears when you take things apart.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #17 - 02/09/17 at 11:09:24

Ok thanks!
Weather permitting I'll change the oil to Rotella T this weekend and see if that eliminates the slipping.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined and worked on my own bikes back in my off-road days. At the moment I don't have a garage to use although that might be changing in a few months. As for tools I have most of the basics covered at best.

In the mean time I will refrain from the activities that cause the slipping.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #18 - 02/18/17 at 13:50:41

The Rotella did the trick! No more slipping. Thanks for the lookout!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 02/19/17 at 05:21:16

This is not intended as an "I told you so" - but as a inquiry as to how the older folks on this forum can be better at "informing" new members  about the care and feeding of the Savage - so that they don't have to learn this stuff on their own.

It is really important that you use the right oil in the Savage.  Not enough ZDDP and you get cam/rocker failure - not a high enough idle speed and you get cam bearing failure - oil with friction modifiers and you get clutch slippage - not changing your petcock to a manual can get your stranded somewhere, or a crankcase and/or airbox full of gasoline - not checking your cam chain tensioner can get you total engine failure!

The senior members of this forum have many years and hundreds of thousands of miles of experience with this bike....if not personally the experience comes from the tales of the forum members who have experienced issues and reported them on this forum.

We have attempted to give good advice in threads like the one listed below - but somehow they just don't seem to get the job done.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1366651397

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #20 - 05/01/17 at 20:07:14

Alright so now that I've eliminated the expense of prettiness from the equation I can focus on functionality. And having another bike to ride that is good for commuting and long trips I no longer have to be concerned with practicality of my S40. In fact I am enjoying my Thumpy more than ever now that I'm not worried about matters of practicality. Now I just want it to be more fun, and safer. It doesn't have to go on long trips or commute me through road rage hell on moon cratered highways each and every day.

So safety 1st!:
1. Look Ma no brakes! I'll be fixing this with the Ryca brake kit and better brake line.
2. Better tires. That back Kenda is absolute garbage and has to go away. I ride on a lot of heavily grooved surfaces so I'll be focusing on tires with good performance on that as well as wet roads.
3. Fork brace. The bigger rear shocks helped the steering considerably making the bike handle better on twists. Now I ride it much harder as a result but something still feels wrong when i push it really hard. I'm guessing it's fork flex. I'm still trying to grasp the concept enough to test for it...

Any more safety suggestions?

Engine stuff:

1. The cam chain tensioner
2. I've been doing my homework (mostly in here) and have changed my mind about the carburetor. In fact I'm going to focus on the entire flow side of things including air filter, exhaust port and header pipe. I'll be bugging folks for more specifics with all of this once I've digested all of the sources I've searched up in here so far.

I no longer need to worry about how the engine performs in stop and go traffic or be concerned with gas mileage or other practical concerns. I just want more fun! Thumpy is to be a hot rod from now on.
All practical concerns fall on my other bike from here on out.

Ah but yes there is the other bike and its expenses, as well as my better half's bike too. So I need to rethink the financial timelines for this. Obviously all of the above is going to take much longer to implement now. So one step at a time, and plan those steps out.

IP Logged
jasbmo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 05/02/17 at 23:30:24

philthymike wrote on 02/18/17 at 13:50:41:
The Rotella did the trick! No more slipping. Thanks for the lookout!

The advice from the veterans is invaluable!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 03:19:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Phase 2 Mod Plan for Thumpy

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.