Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Splitting the Crankcase (Read 386 times)
njohnso8
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Orleans, LA
Splitting the Crankcase
11/30/16 at 19:28:54

Hey all,
Im looking for some advice on splitting the crankcase. I followed the Clymers manual to the point where it says lift the right side of the case off the left.. Not so simple I'm finding out.
I've tapped it with the dead blow hammer all around which has done a pretty good job everywhere else, but its just not doing anything here. Clymers does say that if the case needs to be pried open, be careful not to damage it. I think this is my next step. Whats the best way to go about this?

Thanks!!

Lcrankcase.jpg
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Splitting the Crankcase
Reply #1 - 11/30/16 at 19:46:44

WHY are you doing that?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 11/30/16 at 19:49:40

find a steering wheel puller and use the 3 bolt holes around the crank.

or find a angle iron that can use 2 of the bolts around the cover holes... that's what I did.

WWW   IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #3 - 11/30/16 at 20:06:54

Did you warm up the area around the main bearing with a torch?
The main bearings are a press fit on both the crank and the cases.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
njohnso8
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Orleans, LA
Reply #4 - 11/30/16 at 20:22:41

Gotcha so you put the angle iron on and essentially mimicked the wheel remover. Ill give that a shot.

Have not used a torch on it and I must say I'm a little hesitant to do that as Clymers mentions specifically to not use a torch directly on the bearing or case..

Doing this because my cam chain tensioner blew.. after going on this forum seems like thats pretty commonplace knowledge to replace that early, but sadly I only really started using this site after it happened. To be quite honest this is my first bike, never done much mechanic work, and to top it all off I'm in my 2nd year of med school. With tight funds I decided to not buy a new engine and try and fix it myself instead.. not sure yet if that was the smart decision but hey its been a interesting side project!

Anyways, on assessing the damage as I was pulling it apart, found a whole bunch of metal flakes inside the case and it sounds like something is knocking inside. Took it to a local shop and they said I'd really need to crack it open to clean it, they suspected a shot bearing might be the source of the knock.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 11/30/16 at 20:39:53

I don't think it's a press fit, just tight.
wasn't too hard to get off or back on.

once you get the rotor off, you should be able to inspect all the bearings.

only the left counter balancer is a bit hidden.

WWW   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #6 - 11/30/16 at 20:46:44

I used a plastic deadblow hammer and just took my time,don't be in a hurry you'll just screw it up !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 12/01/16 at 03:10:58

Like Verslagen, I adapted a puller and mounted it so that it pulled the right side case off the crankshaft.  It is not a press fit and it doesn't need a torch....but it will help to get a steady pull at the crankshaft.  You can leave all the gears and shafts in the left side case and not have to fuss with the transmission assembly.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 12/01/16 at 07:02:12

Some lose their engine, some save it,, bummer deal either way.
You're busting in to go fishing or replace stuff?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 12/01/16 at 07:22:00

Also be sure you have "all" the screws out - there are some on the clutch side that are located inside the case (where the oil splashes around.  Also....you should support the engine on the left side case...you will need to block it up so the crankshaft can hang down and the case is supported.....then pull the right side of the engine case upward.  If you have to pry....only do it at the engine mount bolt holes - don't pry at the mating surface for the two case halves as you could damage the sealing surface.  When the case is laying on the left side, you can (should), install some kind of a puller on the crankshaft that will push against the end of the crankshaft and pull up on the engine case.

Jump to around 7 minutes in this video and you can see how a puller is used.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N144n_CE3_E

Where do you live?  Maybe somebody local has some experience and can help?

« Last Edit: 12/01/16 at 08:27:24 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
njohnso8
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Orleans, LA
Reply #10 - 12/01/16 at 14:31:43

Great video and tips, thanks Dave! I'll likely get a chance to try that this weekend.

I'm in New Orleans, so far haven't found anyone who works on suzuki's, but yes, would be very open to letting some more experienced hands take a look and show me some things.

And yea Justin fishing for whatever is making that knock, but I know I also have to do some major cleaning of everything inside. Tried using magnets to get the metal shavings out but found very quickly that was not going to cut it. I'm short of any better ideas to clean it other than open it up..

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 12/01/16 at 14:56:57

Engine on the bench, both sides off, spark plug out, diesel flush crankcase,
Good lighting, air hose with 1/8" brass tubing extension on the blower, about a foot long,
That's a project, remove the blower tip, get tubing to fit, flare it a bit, push in and JB weld , set up time, screw tip back on.

Wire with T shirt bits for mopping out bits..
I'd be trying to locate the problem before I split it.
Have you got the cylinder and piston off yet?
Can you feel a bump if you spin the crankshaft?
Have you got the cam chain out?
Did it get kinked?
Maybe messed up a guide?
Did the spring get in between gears?

All of the cleaning and inspection is gonna need done,, the more you can do before splitting it, the better off you'd be, I'd think.
I sure wouldn't be anxious to bust into it if it could possibly be avoided.

Getting the belt off can be a trick.. if you haven't already done that, it might be a good idea.

If the tensioner spring left a chunk in a gear, it would be noisy.

IP Logged
njohnso8
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Orleans, LA
Reply #12 - 12/01/16 at 15:23:07

That first pic is where I'm at, I've taken absolutely everything off already, cylinder, piston, cam chain, guides.
My guides looked pretty beat up and the cam chain sprocket was shattered but still in place. I don't feel any bumps when I spin the crankshaft, it does not wiggle vertically or laterally. It just has a knock when I spin it that honestly I might have left alone, but took in to a shop to be safe and thats where I was told it may be the bearing. I just cant localize the sound enough to know what it is, and I'm suffering mostly from not knowing what normal sounds like.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 12/01/16 at 15:24:52

It maybe a chip of aluminum.
Take an air hose and blow out all the bearings.

WWW   IP Logged
njohnso8
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Orleans, LA
Reply #14 - 12/01/16 at 15:44:32

Closest I have is a keyboard duster ha! Which didn't help.
I'll have to take it somewhere to have access to an air hose.
The sound is subtle but it is a dull, fairly low pitched noise coming from the case at the bottom and top of the crank rotation. Since its so tied to a specific part of the rotation I'm just skeptical its a piece of metal randomly rolling around in there.

Like I said though I don't know normal but my understanding is there really shouldn't be any noise, other than the smooth rolling noise of the bearings at any point in the rotation correct?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 00:20:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Splitting the Crankcase

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.