Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newbie looking for information on 2011 Suzuki S40 (Read 77 times)
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Newbie looking for information on 2011 Suzuki S40
10/26/16 at 16:03:21

I will be purchasing a 2011 Suzuki 240 Boulevard on Saturday morning.  When I looked at it last Sat. it looked like new (5K miles) and it seemed to run great and very solid.  However I have a few questions.

Info about me that may help.  I have ridden since I was 14 years old, and am now 67. I have owned many bikes since high school when I worked for a Honda dealer.  My most recent bikes (last 30 years) have been BMW's.  A 1968 R50/2 (purchased when 15 years old, and fully rebuilt), a 1974 R90/6 (purchased when about 15 years old, but only needed partial rebuild - heads, pistons, etc.) and lastly, a 1978 R100/7.  All ran great.  The first two sold about 20 years ago (had small kids, and didn't want them to grow up without a dad!).  Last one purchased 4 to 5 years ago, and sold 2 weeks ago, due to the fact that I was getting old and the bike, though it ran great, was just too much for me to handle - the weight, and high seat size - getting on was a chore.

Now I want to purchase this Suzuki, and have a few concerns:

Are there any engineering problems, and or issues that should get my attention right away?  Are there any problems that keep recurring?

Where is the best place to purchase parts - aside from my local dealer which I don't like already!  I would rather purchase off Internet if reliable.

I would like to raise seat height, and maybe even move pegs and shifter and brake pedals back about 3 to 4 inches (I am a machinist, and should be able to manufacture items to do this if I need to).

Is there an aftermarket tachometer that will work on this bike.  I am a tach person rather than a speedometer person.

I am sure I will have a lot of questions in the future, but this is good enough for now.

Thanks in advance,

Piedmont Buckeye - Go BUCKS!!!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Newbie looking for information on 2011 Suzuki
Reply #1 - 10/26/16 at 17:29:14

LOOK  UP ! just above is the topic " things ever savage newb should know" it will cover most of your questions. the rest could be in the tech section on the right of the home page that appears when you first sign in. welcome aboard !

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 10/26/16 at 17:33:48

Generally they are reliable bikes - but they do have some quirks that can be addressed.

Petcock - The stock petcock is vacuum operated.  The ethanol fuel can cause the diaphragm to become stiff - or get holes in it.  When it fails it can cause all kinds of weird symptoms, and folks will go looking in all directions for electrical or carb problems that don't exist.  Some folks can run a long time on the stock petcock, others can fail pretty quickly.  The most reliable fix is to install a genuine Yamaha petcock from a 660 Raptor, and then it becomes a manual operated petcock.  Others folks prefer the vacuum one - and they need to be aware that you can identify the problem as being the petcock by removing the vacuum hose and plugging both ends - then switch the petcock to PRI.  If the problem goes away, it confirms the petcock is causing the problem.  You can also be prepared for this scenario by putting a rubber vacuum cap and a golf tee in your tool kit.

There is a rubber head plug over the left front cylinder stud.  This plug eventually starts to leak oil and make a dribbly mess.  You must then take the head cover off and fix it - and Verslagen makes and aluminum one with O-rings that is a permanent fix.

The cam chain tensioner is over zealous, and can result in the cam chain stretching/wearing too fast.  You need to check yours at about 10,000 miles, and get an understanding on how your riding style is affecting the cam chain.  Short trips result in faster wear than longer trips.  Verslagen makes a modified adjuster that has an additional hole you can use to double the life of your chain, and it has a pin and slot to prevent the engine damaging failure that can occur if the plunger comes out of the tensioner body.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1366651397

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #3 - 10/26/16 at 17:45:44

Welcome!  Smiley

People say the back brakes are touchy. Just a touch and you're skidding.  I have not had that problem myself with my'87. The brakes work like all normal drum back brakes for me.

There is an article in the tech section about a seat lift mod.  It's done by most who are over about 5'8" or so.

There are several online dealers who are reliable and will sell you any part you need.  I am also in the position of not liking the local dealer.  He's a crook and has been investigated several times.  He stays just within the law so he hasn't been prosecuted yet.  He gets bad reviews on the net.  Stocks nothing. If you want it, it has to be ordered. Most bikes in the showroom during the summer months are priced well above MSRP and he won't budge on pricing.

There are several poeple on here who have installed tachs.  Hopefully one of them will chime in and let us know what works and what doesn't.

Enjoy your new ride.  Overall It's a great bike. And, the support on this forum is great if there is a problem.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #4 - 10/26/16 at 18:58:19

Unless you're really short moving the pegs and controls back 3" or 4" is going to leave you really cramped. You would definitely need to build the seat up. Here's a site you can explore some rainy day when you can't go riding.

http://diymotorcycleseat.com/

Welcome to the forum!

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #5 - 10/26/16 at 19:17:26

there an aftermarket tachometer that will work on this bike.  I am a tach person rather than a speedometer person.

RYCA sells a tachometer that works well. At least it works well on mine. Easy to wire up too.   (See tech section.)

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #6 - 10/27/16 at 15:52:15

Thumpers do tend to vibrate and the license plates tend to crack near the bolts because of this. It would probably be a good idea to isolate the plate with rubber to keep from losing it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 14:48:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie looking for information on 2011 Suzuki S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.