Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Here Savage Engine measurements (Read 187 times)
Shawn29070
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Leesville, SC
New Here Savage Engine measurements
10/24/16 at 12:28:45

Hello All,
 New member here. I own a JPM Barhog. Which has a 270cc parallel  twin engine. I'm wanting to maybe put the 650 Savage thumper in the frame. Can anyone give me some measurents of the engine. Length, width, height, and approx weight. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Shawn

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: New Here Savage Engine measurements
Reply #1 - 10/24/16 at 19:49:41

Shawn, seems like a lot of pain and not much gain . You have a motor that as stock puts out nearly as much hp as a 650(stock) ,and it's water cooled,why would you swap? The height of the 650 is20" front to rear15 5/8" don't no the width,but it would be close to your twin I would think.I would think it would be much cheaper in the long run to buy a used 650, which would come the all the engine mounts, cables ,handle bar controls ,shift and break linkages ,ign. and charging electrics in place,and then retro fit parts from the Barhog as you see fit .Parts are out there to convert the S40 to a "barhog"
but the other way is all custom fabrication .

« Last Edit: 10/25/16 at 12:36:36 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Shawn29070
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Leesville, SC
Reply #2 - 10/25/16 at 13:07:04

Batman,
  You make some very good points. And Buying a whole bike is a better idea.  The engine in the pag runs fine. But it seems JPM is pretty much a thing of the past. There is no response from them about parts. So when the little twin goes down there may be no getting parts for it.  Thats the reason for a swap. I like the ergo's of the bike, and well I like the 650cc Thumper (who don't like that?)  Grin. I've already had to order a 660 Raptor petcock for it (I'll see if it fits, from my home work it should). And right now I'm trying to track down a side cover gasket, just so I can clean the oil screen (bike just has 360 miles on it).  Anyway thanks for the input and measurements, it is greatly appreciated.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 10/25/16 at 13:32:16

An engine transplant can be done - but it is a complicated job, often requires fabrication and welding....and you end up with an engine we can help you with, and a chassis that still has a problem with obtaining product support.  And.....the charging and electrical system will most likely have to be a combination of the 2 bikes.

You could end up with a good motorcycle if you sold your PAG and bought a used Savage.  Really nice used ones are $ 3,000, good running motorcycles are available for $ 1,500 in most areas, fixer uppers can be had for $ 500.  If you are new to motorcycles and wrenching....it will be better to save up for a newer/nicer model that is roadworthy and doesn't need repairs (just routine maintenance).  It is not uncommon for the engines on older bikes to have worn cams and rockers, oil leaks, and potentially stripped head cover screws and/or exhaust header bolts that are difficult to repair.  The engines can last a long time if cared for - they are fairly expensive to repair if they are broken. 

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 10/25/16 at 18:16:42

Shawn, If the gasket is flat you could buy a  sheet of gasket paper and cut your own with an Exacto knife ,just put sealer on both sides before installing.

IP Logged
Shawn29070
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Leesville, SC
Reply #5 - 10/27/16 at 04:01:50

I will have to do just that it seems. I do like that bolt on hard tail kit from the company that was posted here. So I may finish servicing up the Pag and sell it while the gettin is good and hunt down an S40. I gotta keep reading in here and do my homework so I'll know what to look for. I've brought alot of Vintage Japanese bikes back from the dead. Like triple two stroke Suzuki's, Triple and 4 cyl Yamaha's and a few CB's.  Love doing the work. So this Thumper Hardtail should be a fun project. Thank you for all the replies.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 10/27/16 at 06:12:15

shawn ,the easiest is the kit from RYCA,bolt on ,if you like the hard tail.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #7 - 10/27/16 at 08:36:53

Shawn,

Blue Collar Bobbers has a really nice Bobber kit too. Lance and his wife are a real pleasure to deal with.

http://bluecollarbobbers.com/catalog/savage-s40

Kenny G

IP Logged
Bobber

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/27/16 at 13:35:28

Yes, I can testify for Blue Collar Bobbers.  Good quality stuff and well thought out.

IP Logged
Shawn29070
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Leesville, SC
Reply #9 - 10/27/16 at 19:18:42

Awesome options, thanks guys!  Now, I gotta find thumper!!  That big ole single jug, just screams bobber!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 09:19:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Here Savage Engine measurements

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.