Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Hard starts and stalling (Read 792 times)
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Hard starts and stalling
Reply #45 - 10/20/16 at 20:43:54

vercy not mad caps lock stuck !

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #46 - 10/21/16 at 01:52:05

I don't know the answer to the questions, but don't modify anything. Don't add the filter until you have it running right.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #47 - 10/21/16 at 07:47:01

Johnnyblade wrote on 10/20/16 at 19:35:53:
It came out very easy at that point but with some nice squeeking  every crank.  

The aluminum threads in the carb body have become corroded, and even the new replacement screw will not fit well and can you can strip the slot as you put the new screw in.  You need to get a tap and clean up the thread before you put in a new mixture screw.  The thread size and pitch is a 6.0mm x 0.50, this is really fine and it is hard to find a tap locally - but they can be found on the internet.  I have a tap and will loan it to you - but you will have to pay postage and a deposit until I get it back.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Johnnyblade
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #48 - 11/11/16 at 12:54:01

Well guys. It's time to call a pro. Cleaned carb thoroughly and replaced jets with factory. Checked/inspected diaphrams, inspected and tested float and float level (it passed). New fuel line. New fuel filter. New petcock. New sparky plug gapped. Oil change. New vacume plug.

Started on first crank. A good sign. I thought. Ran down the road a mile shifted good, sounded good, felt good. Got up my drive way, stall. won't turn over again. Wants to. BUT wont. I bet I did valve damage or something from running too lean in the past. This is too big for me. If this is expensive I don't know if this bike will stay. I paid 2,900.00 for it and I hope it's not something huge. It does look brand new too. Just spent 3k on the boat, and my truck has 253,000 miles on it. Really can't bleed anymore money.

Post script. Thank you Dave for the very kind offer to borrow the tap.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #49 - 11/11/16 at 13:04:25

If you did valve damage you wouldn't have been able to start it or ride it and be able to say that it "felt good". How's the battery?

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #50 - 11/11/16 at 13:13:47

Johnnyblade wrote on 11/11/16 at 12:54:01:
Well guys. It's time to call a pro. Cleaned carb thoroughly and replaced jets with factory. Checked/inspected diaphrams, inspected and tested float and float level (it passed). New fuel line. New fuel filter. New petcock. New sparky plug gapped. Oil change. New vacume plug.

Started on first crank. A good sign. I thought. Ran down the road a mile shifted good, sounded good, felt good. Got up my drive way, stall. won't turn over again. Wants to. BUT wont. I bet I did valve damage or something from running too lean in the past. This is too big for me. If this is expensive I don't know if this bike will stay. I paid 2,900.00 for it and I hope it's not something huge. It does look brand new too. Just spent 3k on the boat, and my truck has 253,000 miles on it. Really can't bleed anymore money.

Post script. Thank you Dave for the very kind offer to borrow the tap.

explain "won't turn over again"

a. push button nothing happens
b. push button, engines spin, no fire.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #51 - 11/12/16 at 09:00:23

Johnny you need to answer a or b to the question Versy asked above ! new fuel line new fuel filter? did you add a fuel filter to the line ? It can become air bound an stop flow to the carb ,and is really not needed.The gas cap on the tank is vented to allow air into the tank as fuel level drops,air passes through the key slot ,down through the lock and out two small holes in the plastic cap inside. If the pathway is plugged the tank builds up a vacuum and fuel to the carb stops. If the bike starts again and then dies take the cap off and see if you hear a rush off air into the tank,that would let you know it might be this problem,and the bike should restart.

IP Logged
Johnnyblade
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #52 - 11/13/16 at 06:36:57

I am so confused.

To answer versys question ....ran fine for a mile sputtered and stalled. Attempt to restart was met with engine turning but no fire. A few hkurs later i called my friend who is a trained/skilled bike mechanic (lives far away). He said, "Let me hear it." It started first try. WHAT the heck. He had a few recommendations for me, some which make sense and some that I won't do.

He told me it could be a weak battery or dying/not functining well stator.  H le told me to test the battery before and after running to be sure. He told me he didn't trust me inside a carb (but it was really not that bad and is super clean now). He said to buy a used car on ebay and put it in. NO way. NOT going that route. GONNA check battery first and stator. He told me to replace the rubber boots going to the air box and to the carb from engine. I don't think this is really needed either.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #53 - 11/13/16 at 08:27:22

Checking for a leak between carb and engine would not be a bad idea.
But, number one on the list of
Stuff that makes people crazy
Weak battery
Screwed up petcock

If I am having trouble with anything starting
I squirt some ether in.
It's either fuel, air or spark.
Give it fuel.
See what happens.

After you're sure the battery is up.

Pulling the plug to test spark doesn't Prove it is firing under compression, just that the ignition system is alive and will make it spark. If the battery is Skippy and spinning the motor over, but the starter motor current draw drops the battery voltage enough, the plug won't fire.
To test the spark, get another plug, put the plug wire on it, and ground it, hit start.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #54 - 11/13/16 at 08:55:04

Can you tell us what jets you have installed?

WWW   IP Logged
Johnnyblade
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #55 - 11/13/16 at 15:34:01

Hi huys. I used starting fluid and sprayed around all my hoses to see if there was a leak. No increase in idle so I think not, although it could be possible.
I replaced the jets with the factory jets. Nothing different. Only replaced because the new ones are shiny. Smiley
Replaced plug and gapped.
Could it be my decompression cable what ever that is?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #56 - 11/13/16 at 16:50:31

Decomp. is only used for starting, and your bike starts cold so don't go there. you have compression (the bike starts)so rings and valves are ok,it fires ,so you have spark , that leaves fuel!The carb is clean,the jets are new and stock ,that leaves ,float level which should be set to1.06 to1.14 inches ,and Ihope you swapped the Raptor petcock back in,or a vacuum forming in the tank due to the gas cap not venting,which I talked about in the above post.PS> I don't think your friend knows his stuff.you didn't answer my question about a fuel filter,did you add an inline fuel filter?

« Last Edit: 11/13/16 at 20:28:07 by batman »  

IP Logged
Johnnyblade
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #57 - 11/13/16 at 20:25:51

Checked the float before installation and it met the spec. I used a vernier caliper .
Raptor is on. May take off fuel filter but it seems to be working.
Gas Cap is clear doesn't seem like an air lock issue.
Tested battery several times which read 12.06 volts lowest reading to 12.12 volts highest reading.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #58 - 11/13/16 at 20:36:14

The fuel filter could be the problem, unless the gas line is run right these filters can be come air bond and stop your flow. They are not needed you have a filter on the petcock and there is another in the carb under the float valve seat. do yourself a favor and toss it, just run a plain hose between the petcock and carb. and see if that doesn't stop your problem.AS for checking the float before you installed it? I don't think you grasp the idea of setting the float height. the float height is the distance measured from the flange of the float bowl to the top of the float holding the carb in an inverted position,AFTER THE FLOAT  IS INSTALLED (the distance  when the float valve is fully closed) and is adjusted by gently bending the small tab that the float valve hangs from .It is very important! Too high ,the carb floods ,too low and you don't have enough to keep the motor running.float HEIGTH 1.04 to 1.16 inches.

« Last Edit: 11/14/16 at 20:45:21 by batman »  

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #59 - 11/14/16 at 06:56:59

Agree with ditching the inline filter.   I think they are great for lawnmowers and that's about it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:26:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hard starts and stalling

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.