Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
Hard starts and stalling (Read 792 times)
Johnnyblade
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Hard starts and stalling
Reply #30 - 10/15/16 at 14:35:58

I wouldn't know what to do with the answers. Lol

IP Logged
Johnnyblade
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 10/16/16 at 14:32:55

Ok. I actually tried today. I emptied the gas and put 93 octane instead of 87. Didn't help...much. ran it around the driveway and really had to keep the throttle up to prevent stalling. Had a good bit of gas in the crankcase breather tube. I swapped out the petcock for the original vacume operated petcock. Didn't help. I took off seat, tank and carb. However, I can not get those screwy screws off the top of the carb to inspet it. Tried all my drivers. Are these screws jis too?

While at it. I replaced the plug. It was pretty dark with carbon but othewise looked pretty good. It appears to have been gappend at well over 041. inches. I replaced with a dpr8ea-9 gapped between 031 and 035.

Any pointers on what I should do about those srewy screws? Much appreciated. John

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #32 - 10/16/16 at 14:55:02

Johnny,

If you have a small soldering iron put the tip of it on the end of the screw for a minute or two to break loose the thread sealer. Grind the tip off of a #2 Phillips Head Driver and try twisting. If that doesn't work you should be able to get a hold of the screws with a small vice grip pliers.

Replace the screws with stainless Allen Head Screws, if you can find them, if not the hardware store will have real Phillips Head metric screws that are satisfactory.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Johnnyblade
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 10/16/16 at 19:22:23

Kenny G, great idea. In lieu of a soldering iron can I use a heat gun?

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #34 - 10/16/16 at 19:38:41

Johnny,

I am sure a heat gun will not get hot enough.

I failed to mention that before you start with the soldering iron make sure the gasoline is completely drained from the carburetor. Have plenty of ventilation.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Johnnyblade
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #35 - 10/17/16 at 07:57:45

Do you guys think performance carb from Lancer would be overkill?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #36 - 10/17/16 at 21:55:33

YOU need to pull the carb out and take the float out and inspect the float valve tip for damage,YOU flicked the float valve with your finger which may well have bent the tab the valve hangs on changing the float level which you need to check, while you have the float out you need to shake it /or submerse it to make sure it has no pin hole leaks.THe carbon on the spark plug ,the gas running out the carb are signs of the float level be to high!If you have not checked the float level as many of us have advised buying a after market (harder to tune ) carb isn't something I would advise.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Johnnyblade
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #37 - 10/18/16 at 16:33:32

Good points. To get the pivot pin out do I use an awl?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #38 - 10/18/16 at 21:10:13

BE careful, if I remember the pin only slides out in one direction.You need to be gentile ,the body of the carb is just pot metal and will break ,you don't want to be spending $500.00+ on a new one.you could use an awl , a pin punch, a finish nail(round off the point ) but try just slight pressure ,don't drive it with a hammer!

IP Logged
Johnnyblade
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #39 - 10/19/16 at 19:23:57

Well guys. I'm feeling pretty good. I was able to get the carb apart. The solder iron didn't work for me but a small pen torch loosened the lok tight.  Gonna replace the screws for the TEV and the top of the carb as well. I checked all the jets air and fuel. They are all clear. Surprised how clean this thing is inside. I checked both diaphragms and they are hardly sticky. There are 8 questions that I have....

1. There is a long brass tube (maybe jet) that goes through the carb body under the pilot jet. Is there a way to remove this and clean it? Or should I?
2. To test the float do I float in a bowl of gas? I know it is a stupid question.
3. The small metal clip that holds the needle valve on seems pretty loose. Should it be?or should I tighten it around the float tab?
4. I dI'd not take the throttle plunger and shafts off. Do I need to do this?
5. I could not loosen the screw under the float that holds the needle valve assembly. Is it necessary for me to go ahead and do this to inspect the needle valve assembly. If so I feel I can remove the screw but will probably need to replace it.
6. Would I benefit in any way by shaving/sanding the spacer ring at this time or is a moot point?
7. Anyone know the threads/specs of the TEV screws and carb cover screws so that I can replace them with Phillies or allens?
8. Lastly, my plug was way out of spec in terms of gap. Is it possible that the plug cause the hard starts and stalling and that I had the fuel problems because I kept flooding the engine? As to say....maybe it was never a carberator problem?

Thank you guys for your patience and advice.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #40 - 10/19/16 at 19:52:21

Johnny,

Here are the screw specs that you asked for.

Kenny G

Carb_Screws-f4fwg9.jpg
  IP Logged
Johnnyblade
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #41 - 10/20/16 at 06:20:28

Thank you Kenny!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #42 - 10/20/16 at 14:23:21

REPLY 1)JUST SPRAY WITH CLEANER AND AIR  2)SHAKE IT,IF YOU DON'T HEAR FLUID INSIDE THAT'S GOOD ,SUBMERSE IN WATER ,LOOK FOR BUBBLES ,NONE OK.  3)NO THE FLOAT MOVES IN AN ARC THE VALVE NEEDLE MOVE STRAIGHT UP AND DOWN ,THERE NEEDS TO BE SOME PLAY .   4)NO JUST SPRAY   5)YES YOU SHOULD REMOVE IT TO CHECK THE SCREEN FILTER UNDER IT    6)YOUR RIGHT THERE ,bUT I WOULDN'T REDUCE IT BUY MORE THAN 25% (THAT SHOULD HELP REDUCE BACKFIRES.   7)SEE ABOVE  8) YOU TELL US! PUT THE CARB BACK TOGETHER (CHECK YOUR FLOAT LEVEL PLEASE !) TRY IT!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #43 - 10/20/16 at 15:11:07

batman wrote on 10/20/16 at 14:23:21:
SUBMERSE IN WATER ,LOOK FOR BUBBLES ,NONE OK.

Why you shouting?   Grin

water should be hot so air inside expands.
even then the leak can be so fine that the air just dissipates into the water.

WWW   IP Logged
Johnnyblade
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #44 - 10/20/16 at 19:35:53

I promise I'm gonna get to the float....but....first...update...
I bought all new screws for the TEV valve and the diaphram cover.
I bought a fuel filter
I bought 3, 1mm spacers/washers

So I decided to go ahead and check the air mixture screw to make sure it wasn't buggered by the previous owner. Oh man. What a mistake. Thank God for this forum. The plug was gone so I figured it was messed with at one time.
I slowly began unscrewing it. It was coming easy till I got close to the end and it just locked up. I backed it back in easily but ever time I tried to bring it back out it got stuck. Eventually I sheared off one side of the groove and could get it out. I used the advice here and used a 1/16 and then 5/64 to drill it out then a #10 torx. It came out very easy at that point but with some nice squeeking  every crank. Once out I realized my drill hole came right through the side of the needle area. Wow. I was lucky.

I then decided to remove the screw for the float assembly valve. LAST jis screw! That little sob was so hard to get out. I ended up sawing a notch in it and lo and behold it came right out with a flat head. Once I removed the screw and needle plate I could not go any further. How do I get the valve assembly out? It doesn't seem threaded. I can't see a screen/filter in there anywhere. All in all a good night. Had to stop to rest the legs for the night. Until tomorrow!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:32:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hard starts and stalling

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.