Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Hard starts and stalling (Read 792 times)
Johnnyblade
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hard starts and stalling
10/04/16 at 17:59:54

Hi guys. Need some pointers. I have a 2007 s40. A few weeks ago I stalled out decelerating to a stop during a ride and couldn't get the bike started again with out keeping the throttle up. Every time I let go of the throttle the bike would stall. I got home and adusted the mixture screw on the carb (external screw) and it ran fine for a few trips. Now it started again. I had replaced the petcock with a raptor last summer so figure possibly float problem. I thought I could fix it by taking off the bowl only. But... realized thats not how it works. Hence I need a new bowl gasket. Also. I noticed today after struggling to get it going that the puke tube had at least 4 table spoons of gas in it.   Think that's from me flodoing it? I drained it since. John

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Hard starts and stalling
Reply #1 - 10/04/16 at 18:28:48

If what came out of the puke tube was purely gas and not a gas/oil mix ,I'd say your the float valve isn't seating or your float height is to high. It maybe time to pull the carb and do a good cleaning,be aware that there is a screen under the float valve seat that may also be plugged,and the fuel line from the Raptor could need replaceing due to age. I'd also check the plug you used on the carb to plug the vacuum line into the carb for a leak as this would cause a lean condition at idle.(or anytime you close the throttle ie. slowing down )or a plugged /dirty TEV valve.

« Last Edit: 10/04/16 at 22:35:46 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 10/04/16 at 18:49:34

Having trouble getting the bowl off?
bat box in the way?
put a strap around the box and pull it back till it clears the bowl.

what puke tube are we talking about?

WWW   IP Logged
Johnnyblade
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/05/16 at 05:59:40

Hi guys. The fuel line seems fine. Replaced last year also. I checked my plug  for the vacume as well and that seems secure. I used starting fluid around the hoses and no increase in idle so I think I ruled out vacume leak. The gas was in the tube that comes down underneath the bike. I heard guys call this the puke tube...not sure what it is really called. Got the bowl off no problem but realized you really can't access anything that way.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 10/05/16 at 06:28:04

Is this starting to sound like the TEV?
He reported no mods, and, as long as the idle speed is kept up, it's not gonna die during deceleration.

Will it idle?
Did you have to adjust anything to get it to idle?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Johnnyblade
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/05/16 at 09:15:35

What's the TEV?
If I adjust the idle screw it helps but eventually it still stalls.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #6 - 10/05/16 at 10:01:56

TEV is that circle/triangle thingy with the three black allen screws. It can get gunk in it. Open it up and clean the tiny passage, but be careful not to damage the black plunger.  NOTE that there is a spring in there so hold it on with a finger when taking off the last screw or it will bounce off!

(stole the pic from this forum somewhere Cool)

tev.PNG

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 10/05/16 at 11:06:36

I'm not A Carb Goo Reaux..
So, I'm tossing questions at those guys.
So, don't grab anything I say and pick up tools and walk towards your bike. Wait for one of the smart guys to agree.

If it's dying at idle but running on down the road, it's not fuel delivery To the carb, right?
So, could it be crap in the idle circuit/jet?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 10/05/16 at 11:11:49

Could be the Idle circuit.....the pilot jet has a tiny little metering hole in it.  When a carb gets dirty or gunked up - that is usually the first thing that becomes clogged and doesn't allow fuel to flow.

It can be accessed by dropping the float bowl, and using a small screw driver.  If the jet has been in there a while...sometimes they are hard to remove without stripping the screw slot (the jet is made from brass and can be easily damaged).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 10/05/16 at 11:29:22

Is there any way to clear it without pulling it?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 10/05/16 at 11:46:09

If the pilot jet is clogged from something getting pulled up by the flow of fuel....you may be able to clear it out by removing the idle/fuel mixture screw - and spraying carb cleaner into the place where the screw was.......and maybe a gentle blow with compressed air. (If you take the mixture screw out - it is best to first count the number of turns needed to lightly seat it - that way you can get it back to where it was before you removed it).

If the pilot jet is blocked by corrosion or gum.....it can stick  really tightly into that tiny hole, and sometimes you have to soak it in cleaner or run a very small wire through to get the junk dislodged.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 10/05/16 at 12:54:04

If it was my problem, I'd be going with what Dave said, and pay attention to

air. (If you take the mixture screw out - it is best to first count the number of turns needed to lightly seat it - that way you can get it back to where it was before you removed it).
And by Lightly, he means very lightly. The tip of that soft brass needle is pointed, and easily damaged.
Carefully count the turns in, write it down, remove the needle, do the job, install, carefully, count back out to Home position.

IP Logged
Johnnyblade
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 10/05/16 at 18:05:42

I really stink. I found the TEV pretty easy but... it has regular screws in it not Allen screws. I tried hard but couldnt budge any of em. Started to strip one so left it alone. The bike only has 7k miles on it. Is it normal for a carb to get gummy that quick I rode it all winter last winter then slowed down in the spring and summer due to family health issues. Only about 2x a month since april 2016. I changed my air filter even though I did this last fall. It's not too dirty but it is it normal for it to smell strongly of gasoline?

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #13 - 10/05/16 at 20:02:42

The screws are JIS, not a standard phillips. Therefore a regular phillips will slip on a stubborn screw. You need an impact driver but you won't easily find JIS bits for it. Lube the screws with wd40 or blaster, then a few delicate smacks should break them loose. You probably want to do it with the carb off though, but don't best it to death and smush it.  DON'T get frustrated...you aren't doing anything that most of us haven't done too!

Some say you can grind a tip from a standard phillips and it works better on those screws, but I've never tried it.

Once out, then replace them with some allen screws!!!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 10/05/16 at 20:34:42

It's not normal for the filter to smell strongly of gas,fuel can only enter the carb by way of the float valve . You need to check the valve and valve seat ,and float level . If the level is to high fuel has two places to go,out the carb to the air filter or into the cylinder past your rings into your oil. you should remove your oil filler cap and see if you can smell gas in your oil. Is your Raptor petcock a Yamaha or a fleabay purchase ?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:42:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hard starts and stalling

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.