Send Topic Print
Better battery? (Read 191 times)
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Better battery?
10/04/16 at 08:25:23

I was wondering if there is a better battery that can be installed into our bikes. The factory battery is a liquid battery with a breather tube - those are really antiquated. Looking for something more modern, perhaps with more punch and more charge?

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: Better battery?
Reply #1 - 10/04/16 at 08:38:47

I have an AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery. Comparable price to wet cell batteries if you shop right.  Sealed, no maintenance, no tube. Lasted me about 3.5 years so far.  Downside, unlike traditional wet cell batteries, is that when it dies, it dies with little to no warning.  There are lithium batteries for close to twice the price. Light, but some say they don't have a good life span.

AGM versus traditional.

Advantages

Spill-proof through acid encapsulation in matting technology
High specific power, low internal resistance, responsive to load
Up to 5 times faster charge than with flooded technology
Better cycle life than with flooded systems
Water retention (oxygen and hydrogen combine to produce water)
Vibration resistance due to sandwich construction
Stands up well to cold temperature
Less prone to sulfation if not regularly topping charged

Limitations
Higher manufacturing cost than flooded (but cheaper than gel)
Sensitive to overcharging (gel has tighter tolerances than AGM)
Capacity has gradual decline (gel has a performance dome)
Low specific energy
Must be stored in charged condition (less critical than flooded)
Not environmentally friendly (has less electrolyte and lead than flooded)

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 10/04/16 at 08:43:28

I don't use wet cell batteries anymore.....I buy a good AGM battery when I have time to choose......sometimes they die in very inconvenient place and you have to get what you can.  (I had a friend riding a bike home and was several states away and his charging system died.......he had to buy a car battery and strap it to his luggage rack so he could make it home without a charging circuit)

Try to get one made in the US or Japan for the most consistent quality.........

Some discussion on Li-Ion batteries.

http://www.bikebandit.com/blog/post/tough-questions-answered-are-lithium-iron...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/04/16 at 08:56:43

I see the biggest draw back of Li-Ion seems to be that they require specific charger. Don't really want to mess with the charging system of my bike, so I'll just go with AGM.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 10/04/16 at 09:15:07

och wrote on 10/04/16 at 08:56:43:
I see the biggest draw back of Li-Ion seems to be that they require specific charger. Don't really want to mess with the charging system of my bike, so I'll just go with AGM.

The Li-Ion batteries don't require you to do anything with the bike - only a charger that you plug into the wall needs to be special.  I have an Earth-X Li-Ion battery in my bike....it hasn't been charged in 4 years, and you aren't supposed to connect them to a battery maintainer........they don't lose a charge from sitting for a year or more.  But - if you do something stupid and run them flat by leaving the key on - they are ruined.

« Last Edit: 10/04/16 at 10:22:46 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/04/16 at 09:16:59

Dave wrote on 10/04/16 at 09:15:07:
och wrote on 10/04/16 at 08:56:43:

I have an Earth-X Li-Ion battery in my bike....it hasn't been charged in 4 years, and you aren't supposed to connect them to a battery maintainer........they don't lose a charge from sitting for a year or more.  But - if you do something stupid and run them flat by leaving the key on - they are ruined.

But what about the charging system (generator) on the bike itself with Li-Ion batteries? Does that need to be replaced with something more suitable?

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #6 - 10/04/16 at 09:28:33

Nope, as Dave said,  NO changes needed to the bike.  Just don't ever put them on a normal charger.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/04/16 at 09:37:22

I once left the bike with the key ON overnight, and it depleted the stock battery. I put the bike in neutral and put booster right on the starter - the bike started and I rode it for an hour to charge the battery. Happened almost two month ago, it charged just fine and has been fine ever since. If something like this happens with the AGM or Li-Ion, and I still going to be able to recharge it just by riding the bike, or I'll have to take it out and charge it?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 10/04/16 at 10:10:34

From the earthx battery weby...
Quote:
This battery comes with advanced technology to protect it from over-discharge, the number one killer of all batteries.  If your battery reads near 0 volts, the over-discharge feature has been activated, thus your battery must be charged. If you left your lights on, key on, have a faulty stator, or have a parasitic drain this can easily happen.  Our BMS is designed to disconnect the flow of current in the event of over-discharge (internal disconnect switch is opened).  Many smart chargers will not attempt to charge a low voltage battery (below 9V), including a Battery Tender Jr.  If this happens, the easiest way to charge (and reset the internal switch) your EarthX battery is to use the lithium charger from Optimate (model TM-471 or TM-291) as it has the built-in feature that allows charging of batteries that are below 9V.   With the Optimate, all you have to do is attach the charging cables to the battery (step 1) and then plug the unit into the wall (step 2).  A second method using another brand smart charger is to connect the charger to the EarthX battery as normal, then put greater than 9 volts across the terminals which can be done by connecting a portable jump pack or connecting jumper cables from another battery (a battery of equal or lesser size).   Once the charger sees voltage it begins to charge as normal.  After 5-20 seconds you can remove the jump starter or jumper cables (being careful not to disconnect the charger).  Recharging this battery from the depleted state can take from a couple hours to overnight.

WWW   IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #9 - 10/05/16 at 14:43:35

if I was looking then I would consider this "homebuilt", 3D-printed case, supercapacitor array.  Small and light, with limited starts, theoretically long life and super-fast charging.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111883927289?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=...

"12V super capacitor module 6x 350 farad caps 300A (engine starting, car audio)"

For now my existing Yusa? AGM battery is on a tender and it's been good for 4 years of light duty.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 10/05/16 at 15:01:55

I would never have even thought it was possible.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #11 - 10/05/16 at 16:44:15

What Dave said. My lithium one is 3+ years old and working fine. The charge circuit is built into the battery.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #12 - 10/05/16 at 17:49:44

I ordered a Antigravity AG-801 from Amazon for $140.  We'll see how it goes.

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #13 - 10/06/16 at 06:22:00

That's the battery that I have. So far I like it but I've only had it on the bike for a couple months.

One thing to note with this battery. The posts are different than the stock battery so the tabs on the positive terminal wire won't sit flush on the battery. I just ground the small tabs off of the connector to let it sit flush.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 10/06/16 at 06:34:55

IIRC, when I replaced my battery the positive lead would not go on and I used pliers to straighten out the tabs. Took seconds.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 11:57:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Better battery?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.