Send Topic Print
Fuel Gauge (Read 275 times)
Tpotts
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fuel Gauge
09/26/16 at 13:10:27

Curious.... Has anyone ever installed a fuel guage and sensor on an S40 / Savage?  And why in 2016 Suzuki doesn't put a trip odometer on this bike is beyong me. Thanks all!  Love the site, glad I found you guys.  Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Fuel Gauge
Reply #1 - 09/26/16 at 15:01:47

Fuel gauge is right beside the windshield wiper switch.
You'll get accustomed to remembering when you gassed up.
Get 100 miles and start looking for a pump .
When you START thinking you MIGHT be about to need to flip to reserve, and you're Thinking you're gonna pass someone, just flip it to reserve, First. You can flip back when you're Not in a spot where suddenly having no power could be bad. Go ahead, ask me how I know.
I was passing an 18wheeler on a two lane when it just shut off..
Considering that I was looking at the grill of oncoming I went left,to the shoulder of the oncoming traffic. It came back to life after I yanked the petcock and I kept My life,
I Eventually did pass the truck... on prime..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 09/26/16 at 15:02:48

Yes, if you can find a used kawa vn750 (or so) tank it's very close in appearance to the savage tank.  It has a sender in it for a gage.

otherwise, we use a luggage lock to dial in the mileage at fillup.

WWW   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #3 - 09/26/16 at 15:14:24

JOG did you need a change of underwear ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #4 - 09/26/16 at 16:25:45

Tpotts, I installed a bicycle speedo on my savage front wheel, and reset it at every fillup... that way when I get close to 100 miles I fill up! Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 09/26/16 at 17:54:40

Ruttly wrote on 09/26/16 at 15:14:24:
JOG did you need a change of underwear ?

Actually, I've come so close to dead so many times I just felt the power die,looked at the options, grabbed the petcock and aimed
Over yonder..
It was starting to come to life by the time I was clear of traffic.

I don't panic until After it's over. I did sit and get my breath for a few seconds,, would've stayed longer, but it was a bad place to be. A cop would not have been easy to explain Why I was where I was.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #6 - 09/27/16 at 04:08:38

Wow , not even alittle brown skid mark ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 09/27/16 at 08:01:35

Nope, I knew immediately what happened, and just took corrective action.
I've totalled three bikes, ruined a bicycle, twelve to fifteen foot cliff dive, slapped a mocassin off of me, taken a gun from a guy,
I see a pulse spike, but a real jolt of fear? Not unless I don't see a way out.. so far,so good.

The snake, I was just a kid, and I was terrified,didn't even swim in a pool for four years,  I passed out just as the front tire went off the cliff, and I don't think I was Knocked out, but passed out, the last time I crashed.
Once there is Nothing left to do, then being awake is just a good way to break bones. I THINK I pass out.

I think everybody s BODY hits high alert, but Fear stops thinking, and that is a bad idea...
I've stopped, parked a bike, gotvoff and shook like a dog, twice, because I nearly killed myself in a one vehicle wreck, but During the moments of crisis, you gotta keep thinking about what to try next..

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #8 - 09/27/16 at 20:18:17

Me & a buddy were riding in the local fish & game reserve( A NoNo ) when a county sheriff spotted us my buddy drew him away from me cause he had the faster bike , when the sheriff couldn't catch him he came back for me. Only one way out I'm doing 70 on this fire road when I see Johnny Law coming straight at me at about the same speed, now it's a game of chicken he didn't want to catch me he wanted my bike as a hood ornament,still doing 70 I got close enough to him to look him in the eyes with no way by him, he is now planning on running me down, at the last possible second I went left off the road around some brush and back out on the road behind him, missing his front fender by just feet never letting off the gas, narrow fire road made it hard for him to turn around,but he was back on me quickly but I led him to the trail in but I took the shortcut off a super steep hill almost call it a cliff good 60-70 feet high ,rode right off it at speed & then up the next hill where my buddy was waiting, the sheriff was unable to follow, so we both flipped him the bird and left knowing all his friends were coming to the party !
When we got to my house we could hear sirens from all directions heading to the trailhead.
My buddy says to me "I didn't know you could ride like that" and I replied "Neither did l". We sat and drank beer laughing at
the sheriff who went home and yelled at the wife & kids then kicked his dog around.
What a huge adrenalin rush I was shaking for hours !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 09/28/16 at 14:28:28

THAT would have been a substantial skid mark.. several of them. Cut them off, throw them away,

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #10 - 09/28/16 at 19:34:57

Yeah keep thinking , keep your eyes and options open , plenty of time later to freak out about what just happened , survive the situation !
My buddy Randy took me racing right after that. Raced for 7-8 years , never came in last and always finished the race , but I did get beat by a girl once (daughter of local flat track legend) she was fast !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #11 - 09/28/16 at 19:46:58

That happened over 30 years ago,I remember every detail , I could have made it a whole page describing every detail , burned into my memory, Especially that sheriffs face and determined eyes , then looking across that gulley at him knowing , I WIN M_____ F_____ !!!!!

Like it was yesterday !

That was a GREAT Day !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Cyureus
YaBB Newbies

Tinkering hobbyist
out of NoVA

NoVA, VA
Reply #12 - 10/06/16 at 12:12:04

verslagen1 wrote on 09/26/16 at 15:02:48:
Yes, if you can find a used kawa vn750 (or so) tank it's very close in appearance to the savage tank.  It has a sender in it for a gage.

Any specific year? Do you know how it easy it would be with the wiring? Mine currently has a digital bike tripometer, but I was looking for something more standard looking.

2011 Boulevard S40 - Stock... for now

It's pronounced 'curious' but you can call me Cy.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 10/06/16 at 12:48:17

Cyureus wrote on 10/06/16 at 12:12:04:
verslagen1 wrote on 09/26/16 at 15:02:48:

Any specific year? Do you know how it easy it would be with the wiring? Mine currently has a digital bike tripometer, but I was looking for something more standard looking.

The pictures are no longer there, you're just going to do this project and post new ones.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1245897456

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 10/07/16 at 11:57:49

bill67 wrote on 10/06/09 at 18:24:09:
  S40 doesn't need a fuel gauge ,It automatically stops when its out of fuel.

Wink

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 20:25:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel Gauge

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.