Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 
Send Topic Print
That 70's Show - 96 LS650 Build (Read 6949 times)
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Re: That 70's Show - 96 LS650 Build
Reply #165 - 04/23/19 at 09:43:09

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 04/23/19 at 09:15:29:
ohiomoto wrote on 04/23/19 at 06:44:53:
... and returns the forks to full travel.

Emmm...you sure about that? You can only remove 38mm (1-1/2") of fork tube. After that you run the risk of the slider making contact with the bottom triple clamp.

What you have is 13mm of potential interference. I say potential because if the bike is properly sprung and dampened, you should only use 90% of available fork travel during normal operations (hard braking / big bumps). However it is during unexpected operations where you might find yourself picking the bike off the ground (or worse). If you come to a situation where you need that last 1/2" of travel, your slider IS going to make contact with the lower triple clamp - bottoming out the suspension - which could create a situation where the bike is suddenly uncontrollable.

It's an "edge of the envelope" situation, but it now exists. There is a difference between running out of travel (it's jarring) and hammering the bottom of the triple clamp. Hammering the bottom of the triple clamp forces the bike into an up motion which can exceed the rebound of the suspension. At this point the front wheel looses contact with the ground. If this happens during a turn, you'll be on the ground.

I'd put a 1/2" spacer back into the suspension.
------------------------------------

Huh Huh Where did you get the 38mm figure?  

I'd swear measured more than 2" with the springs removed and the forks bottomed out before I sent them out in January.   I'll have to double check the clearance to be sure, but I thought I thunk this one through before I set the legs out.   Undecided

As for adding a 1/2 spacer back to the bottom of the fork...that will simply lower the fork and reduce travel by the same amount.  It will do nothing to prevent the potential issue you mentioned.  I just bring me a 1/2 closer to the collision you predict.  The spacer is reducing the top of the range of travel, not the bottom.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #166 - 04/23/19 at 09:51:19

Unless I brain farted and measured the fender clearance instead of the triple clamp clearance???  Don't think I would have done that, but you seem to have a different number in mind and I don't remember exactly what I did.  Oh boy.  This could be embarrassing.   Embarrassed

I'll have to take the springs out and check it out.  If I messed up I'll have to look into some bumpers for the bottom of the fork legs.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #167 - 04/23/19 at 11:11:18

I just went out and measured. With the front tire off the ground the distance from the slider to the t-clamp is 187mm. So with your modification you now have 137mm gap.

Since travel is 127mm it would appear that you have a 10mm cushion. Sorry for the panic - I had another value stuck in my head.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #168 - 04/23/19 at 11:39:05

Thanks!  That makes me feel better.  

I'll double check everything to confirm the mod is safe in case others want to look into it.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #169 - 04/25/19 at 06:02:21

I did a quick measurement and I have 141mm to top of the fork tube with the forks fully extended.   Claimed travel on the bike is listed at 5.4" to 5.5" which is 135 mm to 140 mm, so I'm right there but my dust seals are not accounted for.  Probably worth dropping the springs out just to confirm I have enough clearance, but I don't think it's going to be a problem.

Where did you get the 127mm number from?  That's 5" of travel which I have not seen listed for this bike.  If that's the actual travel, then I've got this covered by a mile.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #170 - 04/25/19 at 08:38:35

The remaining travel of 13mm is from the top-out spring compression. It acts as a bumper.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #171 - 04/25/19 at 08:57:40

Perfect!!  I can cut another 1/2" off then!! haha

Sounds like I'm in good shape.  I'll still take a look at some point to confirm, but I'm not worried at this point.  Thanks for the info.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #172 - 08/09/19 at 10:30:27

Recently had a few minutes to pull the fork springs and check that my cut fork tubes won't bottom out against the lower triple clamp.  It clears with just a few mm to spare and technically speaking you could remove the dust cover and go even lower.

« Last Edit: 08/15/19 at 10:53:27 by ohiomoto »  

Forks.jpg
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #173 - 11/28/19 at 07:51:30

That's a gorgeous build.
I'll probably be mercilessly ripping off some of this. Thanks in advance.

PS: Now that I have seen all the pics in this build thread, I had a couple of questions.
How much clearance between the tank and fork leg at full lock ?

The reason the savage handles so badly is the huge offset in the triples, mainly due to the fact fork legs have to clear the tank. When I made my cheater chopper, it had an extra 9 degrees of rake, almost extra foot of wheel base, but after all of that, it handled better than the stock savage, with far less steering effort and oddly more precise handling at all speeds.
For a 342lb bike its steering effort is huge. My 550lb bolt is lighter steering. That's huge.
If I could put a tank that's skinnier in front, I'd be able to slap those super long forks and get that 9 degree rake without machining up triples.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #174 - 11/28/19 at 08:37:40

Yeah it's cool,I like the bobbers & cafes but this is the most original build I've seen , it's oozes with creativity. One of a kind ! We are lucking to have so many talented builder here at SS.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #175 - 12/01/19 at 06:47:11

siranth,  Thank you for the complements.

I have about 1-1/2" to 1-3/4" inches of clearance between the fork tube and tank, but there is only about 3/8" of clearance between the throat of the tunnel and the top triple clamp.  

The tunnel sits about 1-1/2" above the top of the frame, a little higher than the top bearing seal, so it could be lowered a touch, but the rear of the tank would rise up in the process due to frame interference.  I could have done that, but it would have required me make the seat higher and due to the angle, the rear fender would have been much higher.

I spent a lot of time trying to get the tank, seat and fender to look "right", so it's not something I would do with this build, but it would work great on any build without a rear fender (cafe, tracker, brat).

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #176 - 12/01/19 at 06:53:31

ohiomoto wrote on 12/01/19 at 06:47:11:
siranth,  Thank you for the complements.

I have about 1-1/2" to 1-3/4" inches of clearance between the fork tube and tank, but there is only about 3/8" of clearance between the throat of the tunnel and the top triple clamp.  

The tunnel sits about 1-1/2" above the top of the frame, a little higher than the top bearing seal, so it could be lowered a touch, but the rear of the tank would rise up in the process due to frame interference.  I could have done that, but it would have required me make the seat higher and due to the angle, the rear fender would have been much higher.

I spent a lot of time trying to get the tank, seat and fender to look "right", so it's not something I would do with this build, but it would work great on any build without a rear fender (cafe, tracker, brat).

3/8th between parts that don't move much is fine, I think savage tank to fork leg clearance is pretty low too.
Cool I'll look to those GT185 or a few others with a similar profile. I think there are some replicas on ebay fresh form china that are close copies.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Edub

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Arizona
Reply #177 - 01/08/20 at 22:07:20

Thank you for how thorough your build documentation has been, Ohiomoto! I read your thread while waiting for approval to join the forum, and your build is exactly why I'm here! What an incredible transformation. I really like what you've done.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #178 - 01/09/20 at 15:17:57

Cool, I hope you're able to put the info to good use.  Most of what I did was pretty easy.  KISS  Smiley

IP Logged
Edub

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Arizona
Reply #179 - 01/09/20 at 19:58:48

Words to live by! Thanks. The work looked relatively straightforward, as long as you take the time to plan things out carefully. I look forward to having the opportunity to test my skills on a full custom bike build like this. I've fabricated parts for my current bike, a '97 Yamaha Seca II, with the fairing deleted, Triumph headlight, etc. I've fabricated steel parts for architectural details, but nothing like this before. I have welding skills, but am far from an expert. Your "rearset" bracket is within my abilities, as well as your other brackets, etc, but I haven't done much wiring or carburetor tuning. I look forward to learning, on a bike that seems to be an ideal platform.  Are you still finding that you're enjoying your bike?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/30/24 at 03:14:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › That 70's Show - 96 LS650 Build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.