Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Patience is a virtue (Read 82 times)
RaleighGuy

It's as easy as

Raleigh, NC
Patience is a virtue
07/27/16 at 05:08:24

Well, I spent three hours this past weekend installing my stock sissy bar but I was too cheap to fork out the $$ for the "luggage rack". It looks way too small to do much good anyway. The misses said she wouldn't ride anywhere with me unless I got that thing put on the back for her safety.... and really I don't blame her for being so careful.

So many of you were right about it being a learning process. I left the back tire on during the "surgery" but I can attest that it takes a crap load of patience. In order to get those dagg-gummed bolts aligned back up and get the threads started while keeping the wrapped wire for the tail lights away AND while trying to be careful not to scratch up the paint job AND while attempting to stop uttering newly created four letter words in the whole process. At one point, I think I wished I had one of those ratcheting box wrenches so I could easily get between the tire and bolt head.

But it's done and it looks really nice now. Of course, now it's 95-98 degrees everyday so it's been difficult for me to find a decent day to ride over the past 4 days, but NC is famous for temps swinging drastically from one week to the next so I'll just be patient.

I know my previous mechanical abilities are near zero but I was actually somewhat proud of myself for sticking with it and getting it put on correctly. The tail lights still work, I didn't scratch anything on the rear fender and the sissy bar feels very sturdy. Maybe I'll move on to getting that Raptor petcock next.

Cool Cool Cool Cool    Mission accomplished!!    Cool Cool Cool Cool

2012 S40 Boulevard (White and Silver) - small changes so far like windshield, sissy bar, saddlebags... but mostly stock.
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Re: Patience is a virtue
Reply #1 - 07/27/16 at 05:24:27

very good.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/27/16 at 05:28:28

Good going, mang!
Petcock is easier.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 07/27/16 at 06:50:53

Good work!  I was pretty much the same as you about 4 years ago when I got my bike (my first one). I am decently mechanically inclined but never worked on motorcycles and was worried I would screw things up.

Thankfully, the forum here led me down all of the right paths and gave me the confidence that I could in fact do many things I was apprehensive about.

As you are, come here with your questions before or during the process and the folks here will do their best to lead you.  This is a very good, helpful, and unique forum compared to most.  Wink

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 07/27/16 at 07:18:53

Ohyes,patienceisavirtuethathelpswithallmechanialendevoursyoujustcan'tlivewithout
it...

SSSSSorry,... coffeekickedin...  Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #5 - 07/27/16 at 09:17:47

RaleighGuy wrote on 07/27/16 at 05:08:24:
The misses said she wouldn't ride anywhere with me unless I got that thing put on the back for her safety....

When I first read this, I thought, "Ughh!" :frustration:

Yeah, that sissy bar is pretty small. It might help some, but it could also mean that when she does fall off, the fall will be worse as she'll tumble backwards over top of it. That doesn't include how it could get in the way and actually cause injury during a crash. At least that little thing is well cushioned.

Does she realize that most bikes don't even have sissy bars? Apart from touring bikes and some classics and cruisers, you're going to see plain pillions. Both our bikes have bars, so what can I say...

Women.... My Mom throws a fit if Dad wants to actually drive his $20,000 truck. She uses it for a doorstop. No joke. We park it in front of a shed as a thief deterrent. --A $20,000 truck as a doorstop.  Grin I'm not sure who came up with the idea... Mom or Dad, but yesterday, guess who was complaining when Dad wanted to drive the truck?  Roll Eyes I think he actually had to exchange places and use the CAR as a doorstop instead of the TRUCK in order to make her happy. Life is insane.

With that being said, I can't blame her either for kinda wanting a sissy bar for a little added safety, but thinking she absolutely NEEDS it?!?! :cue frustration: Especially one that short. Its as if the gesture of safety is more important than actual safety.

Is she going to have trouble holding on for some reason? Has she ridden before? My Mom is in favor of a sissy bar, but she's never actually ridden before, and she doesn't really want to. Roll Eyes Maybe once she rides a while, she'll realize that she doesn't need it.

I reckon women crave security; sometimes at the cost of common sense. I guess we men sometimes do too. :sigh: I myself can get obsessed about little details to my own detriment. If it's not security, it's something else. Humanity is struck with stupidity. I'm sure JOG sees it in me with that broken head bolt. http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1468203484 Stubborn as a rock, aren't I? Wise or foolish? Perhaps time will tell.

Ask JOG in the tall table about how society as a whole can be duped or act just plain coal bucket dumb. He knows; he'll probably hand you so much conspiracy theory your head will spin.

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #6 - 07/27/16 at 09:29:32

We think we need so many things these days, but when we think about what the poor or previous generations lived with, we wonder....

They didn't have tv's or smart phones or computers. Cars, assuming they existed didn't have seatbelts. No antilock brakes.

The farther back you go, the more dangerous life is. Lack of modern stuff contributes, but knowledge is key.

Knowledge is more powerful....more powerful than stuff. Knowledge and wisdom tell you what you need and when you need it, and what you don't need, and what just gets in the way.

Knowledge and wisdom even tells you how to survive without stuff, so you need less.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #7 - 07/27/16 at 09:52:13

I guess the bike is not the only thing that requires patience. Wink

IP Logged
RaleighGuy

It's as easy as

Raleigh, NC
Reply #8 - 07/27/16 at 11:04:17

cheapnewb24 wrote on 07/27/16 at 09:17:47:
RaleighGuy wrote on 07/27/16 at 05:08:24:
The misses said she wouldn't ride anywhere with me unless I got that thing put on the back for her safety....

Does she realize that most bikes don't even have sissy bars?
Is she going to have trouble holding on for some reason? Has she ridden before?

-------------------------------------------------

Yeah, she's ridden on the back of our Harley Fatboy 6-8 years ago. I wouldn't say a whole lot though. Maybe a total of 10-15 times, mostly around Raleigh, 2-3 times in 2006 in Myrtle Beach at the bike fest and 2-3 times on the Blue Ridge Parkway. No, it's not really that she can't hold on to me but I don't think she really knows how much power (or lack thereof) the cabbage really has. I would never really punch the throttle hard with Chrissy on the back of the bike anyway.

But yeah, when she sees how low the backpad is and how much square area is really covers, I think she's going to be thinking to herself.... "Well, dang. That little thing ain't gonna do diddly squat to keep me from being thrown off the back." Like you said, maybe it's just the idea of safety rather than ACTUAL safety.

Who knows????  Maybe I can strap a nice seat bag to the rear now.

2012 S40 Boulevard (White and Silver) - small changes so far like windshield, sissy bar, saddlebags... but mostly stock.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 03:22:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Patience is a virtue

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.