New and frustrated (Read 325 times)
JeepCreeper86
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Newb; Be Gentle.

Orange Grove, Tx
New and frustrated
05/28/16 at 14:58:44

Hey guys, bought a 2001 from a buddy for $300 and it was in pieces since 2007. Ive got the bike back together and cleaned up pretty good but i have a few issues; such as: cant go faster than 45-50 mph (no power if i go past 1/3 - 1/2 throttle regardless of gear) and ive been searching and reading this site so that i wouldnt have to make a topic just so that someone would link me to the answer.

Sorry if i missed it but is there a way to tune the carb jets from the outside of the carb? Or do i have to sit there and take the thing apart, turn the jet a bit, reassemble and keep repeating until it sounds right? I get the concept of the tuning, and the order, but the application is what is throwing me for a loop. Im pretty mechanically inclined but im a rookie when it comes to carbs. Thanks for any help/info provided. (I order the raptor petcock today, btw)

Mostly Stock 2001 LS650P. Did away with my airbox and used 2 inch pvc and an aftermarket large air filter. Previous owner chopped off the tailpipe just behind the footpeg.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: New and frustrated
Reply #1 - 05/28/16 at 15:24:31

Did you have the cam off?
if you didn't time it right, it won't go over 55.

to change the jets, you just need to take the bowl off.

but your' whole problem maybe a dirty carb.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 05/28/16 at 15:29:31

JeepCreeper86 wrote on 05/28/16 at 14:58:44:
... is there a way to tune the carb jets from the outside of the carb? Or do i have to sit there and take the thing apart, turn the jet a bit, reassemble and keep repeating until it sounds right? )

You don't actually "adjust" the jets... you replace them.
They are just screws with specific size holes in them... You go bigger or smaller...
#150 main/ #50 or #52.5 pilot is the usual range at or below 2500ft...

Cleaning the one's you got is the place to start, like Versy says...
The holes plug up if the bike sits too long.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/28/16 at 19:00:29

Welcome to the club. Im old and frustrated. Hopefully, you'll solve your problems before you are old.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Struch

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LA
Reply #4 - 05/29/16 at 01:29:48

IP Logged
JeepCreeper86
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Newb; Be Gentle.

Orange Grove, Tx
Reply #5 - 05/29/16 at 08:08:40

Thanks for the response and well wishes. The engine engine itself was left intact, so them cam and rods and all those "internals" were left as is. I fully disassembled and cleaned the carb bit will for sure follow the guide that Struch linked me to to see if that helps. The jets are the original jets that the bike had when (the guy i bought it from says) it was running fine and reaching top speeds. Also, with the jet screws, do i tighten them all the way down or should i back them out a little?

Mostly Stock 2001 LS650P. Did away with my airbox and used 2 inch pvc and an aftermarket large air filter. Previous owner chopped off the tailpipe just behind the footpeg.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 05/29/16 at 08:16:46

Is it possible He had been in to the cam and put it back wrong?
Maybe that's why he quit messing with it..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #7 - 05/29/16 at 08:30:24

Jeep,

Go back and look at all the information posted on this forum about the carburetor.

It is very possible to assemble the carburetor incorrectly, especially if you did the needle and spacer.

I am not sure where Orange Grove is, but if you are near one of the more experienced forum guys they may want to stop by to help you.

Kenny G

IP Logged
JeepCreeper86
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Newb; Be Gentle.

Orange Grove, Tx
Reply #8 - 05/29/16 at 08:35:46

Kenny G wrote on 05/29/16 at 08:30:24:
Jeep,

Go back and look at all the information posted on this forum about the carburetor.

It is very possible to assemble the carburetor incorrectly, especially if you did the needle and spacer.

I am not sure where Orange Grove is, but if you are near one of the more experienced forum guys they may want to stop by to help you.

Kenny G

Im near Corpus Christi, Tx. Im pretty good with assembly and disassembly but that is also a possibility. Im going to print out the carb guide i was linked to and follow it step by step and report back in a few hours, or days if it works, haha.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 05/29/16 at 09:12:36

JeepCreeper86 wrote on 05/29/16 at 08:08:40:
Also, with the jet screws, do i tighten them all the way down or should i back them out a little?

Always tighten jets to full seat... They are brass, so don't torque down.  Just gentle snug.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 05/29/16 at 11:35:17

I think Kenny G  might be right on . Ask the PO if he did the needle and spacer ,if the small plate that holds the jet needle was installed wrong(it is easy to put in upside down)the slide won't open fully,past1/3-1/2 throttle the mixture will lean out ,no more speed or power as you described.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 05/29/16 at 11:50:02

Hmmm Boy,  the tiny screws that hold that little plate Must have the correct shaped tool, else they will get damaged and access is very limited. The handheld impact from harbor freight USED to come with a long, skinny JIS tip. Without that, I'd say the next best option is buy a JIS ( hope I'm correct on the name, it's not a Phillips, but it sure looks like one  ).  If the screwdriver slips at all, stop, use a pin punch, put the distorted edges back in place,

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #12 - 05/29/16 at 12:23:46

You right JOG jis- Japanese industrial standard-looks like Phillips head but shallower angle on the tip  ,P.Head drive is too pointy so,it doesn't fully engage the JIS slots.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #13 - 05/29/16 at 13:37:27

The screws that you are referring to can be replaced with steel Phillips Head screws from Ace Hardware.

Since the Small Impact Driver From Harbor Freight is no longer available I adapted my old KD Manufacturing Impact Driver which is 3/8" Drive to 1/4". I ground the tip off of a #2 Phillips Head Screw Drive Bit to fit the Mikuni Screws.

Go slow and one good tap with a small hammer and the pain in the a$$ screws will be out of there. It would be good if you have a second person hold the carb for you.

The KD Driver is is 55 years old so I am sure it will outlast anything from Harbor Freight.

Kenny G

IMG_0558.JPG
  IP Logged
JeepCreeper86
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Newb; Be Gentle.

Orange Grove, Tx
Reply #14 - 06/02/16 at 14:51:54

Hey guys, sorry for the delay. We are having some pretty bad weather down here so i havent had a chance to take the bike out. It sounds bettter after the clean but that the only improvement i can comment on at this time. Will update again once it all clears up and i can take her for a ride.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 22:31:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New and frustrated

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.