Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 
Send Topic Print
Cam chain tensioner revisited (Read 2423 times)
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Cam chain tensioner revisited
Reply #180 - 06/02/16 at 15:54:01

But wait! We don't want to put Versy out of business!   Grin

Does anyone have access to a CNC that could cut a cover out of plexiglass? Sounds easier than trying to adapt a window to fit the stock cover. Besides, a window won't show much where a see-through cover probably would be easier to see what's going on. Perhaps even mount a camera pointing at the CCT while riding.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #181 - 06/02/16 at 18:07:19

With the clutch splashing oil around I suspect you not to be able to see much of anything at all with any kind of window.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #182 - 06/03/16 at 03:17:27

Look how much oil gets thrown around in this cutaway enfield engine. It's the gearbox but I guess it could be a similar story in the crankcase.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V_rP88YEP0

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #183 - 06/03/16 at 03:45:43

gizzo wrote on 06/03/16 at 03:17:27:
Look how much oil gets thrown around in this cutaway enfield engine. It's the gearbox but I guess it could be a similar story in the crankcase.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V_rP88YEP0

That is a lot of oil being thrown around - but it still is possible to see what it going on. (Don't try this with dirty oil).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #184 - 06/03/16 at 06:47:19

before you try this take off your oil fill cap and start your motor oil comes out even at idle,and there's a built in deflecter just behind it and the oil filter houseing.It's true that the piston moving down tends to pressurize  the bottom end but you would have to light it to see and that's another problem.

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #185 - 06/03/16 at 09:21:40

Something that has occurred to me is, if we get the 'new' spring tension wrong, cam chain harmonics could allow the tensioner to pick up a tooth on the ratchet and we didn't get anywhere.

The allowable movement provided by the new slot will also be a factor. Tricky stuff!

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Garry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #186 - 06/04/16 at 05:14:13

That is a very good point Norm. Chain oscillation could allow the adjuster to advance and either negate the purpose of the additional spring or even impose extra loading on the chain if the pawl pops out more than one tooth. The additional spring should be very strong to resist unwanted movement of the chain. Too strong won't hurt but too weak certainly will. Who is willing to risk a motor? Then again Batman is doing fine with just the plunger spring unchained so maybe we are trying to over think this?

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #187 - 06/04/16 at 07:00:28

Batman is my hero. The kiss principle is very appealing. Cheesy

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #188 - 06/04/16 at 07:06:14

Ive thought about it. At first, I saw it as valid, but, as long as the new spring is stiffer than the old one, this is not happening..
I don't see how it could be worse than what is going on now even if the new spring, at the mount ,was weak.
The chain isn't in there being subjected to bicycle chain direction changes, the crank Always spins over dragging the cam, tension is always on the front, and, the tensioner can't Grab more than the chain will give.
Shutdown wheeze, or, startup cough and sputter, the chain can't get tighter than now. Once it got through the change, back to business, the spring in the end is a decent idea. Unless it's not needed, because of what Batman is doing.Let's see how that works out.

What if he starts a movement against tensioner springs?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #189 - 06/04/16 at 12:59:23

JOG
I think you are right. As long as the tail end spring is quite a bit stronger it shouldn't be problem. And as you say, we will not be any worse off than now.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #190 - 06/05/16 at 12:31:21

LOGIC! (or how to k.i.s.s. your pawl spring goodby)      First let's look at a few statements made in  reply to this subject. verslagen said the main plunger spring holds the tension,I agree! let's say the teeth on the pawl are almost ready to grab the next tooth on the plunger what is holding the tension on the chain? The main spring!He also said that he figured the expansion  of the motor would cause the cam plunger to recede .061inches or 1.548mm.Again I agree!...So let' proceed ,after removing the clutch cover ,measure from the body of the tensioner to the center of bolt on the rear guide.Let's assume it to be 16mm.Now we remove the tensioner and then the dreaded pawl spring.Next we place it in a vice between two blocks of wood one with a slot wide and deep enough to except the tab on the base of the body.We then s l o w l y and g e n t l y compress it until it goes hard.we need to measure how far the round base of the plunger is still sticking out,let's say 4mm. while it's here in the vice grab a hacksaw blade an using the base as a guide make a shallow mark on the plunger as a reference . Now it's time to weld on your plunger extension, then drill the hole for the guide bolt 14mm from your reference mark. 16-2=14  2mm being the amount of play you've allowed for plunger to move as the motor warms . that means the tensioner goes hard after moving 2mm and then holds  stronger than the pawl ever could!  Now ride the hide off your bike for 5000mi then look, the mark you put on the plunger was out 2mm to start,IF it's another 2mm(I don't think it will be that much)place flat washers or whatever in the base of the body 2mm thick replace the spring and plunger,which restores your free movement back to 2mm ,if the wear remains constant your chain life should be 45000mi(that's assuming you had 15000 on it at the time of this mod) when you again reach 16mm extension.If your wear is 1mm your on your way to 75000mi . At this point I would be more worried about the wear on your guides than the chain and be looking hard at them at each 5000mi check.

« Last Edit: 06/05/16 at 16:38:26 by batman »  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #191 - 06/13/16 at 09:29:16

The 1st VerJavy...

The new spring was checked against the original spring.  Fully compressed it does not compress the new spring.  I will have to repeat with the new oem spring and my replacement spring.

WWW   IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #192 - 06/13/16 at 12:00:21

Very nice Versy! It should work like a charm. No more bow tight cam chains. Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #193 - 06/13/16 at 12:10:53

That's what I pictured.. I'm convinced that is going to give the best service life of the chain. Very nice looking, too.

The VerJavy,, cool,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Garry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #194 - 06/13/16 at 17:11:55

verslagen1 wrote on 06/13/16 at 09:29:16:
The 1st VerJavy...
http://www.savageriders.com/verslagen/CamChainClub/VerJavy.jpg
The new spring was checked against the original spring.  Fully compressed it does not compress the new spring.  I will have to repeat with the new oem spring and my replacement spring.

What are the specs for your new little spring Versy? Does it bear directly on the mounting pin or do you have a slug of metal in there as well? Looks like thus could be the answer.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 16:35:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam chain tensioner revisited

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.