Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Knocking and bike won't start (Read 103 times)
JesseEnz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Knocking and bike won't start
04/23/16 at 10:34:12

Hi there- So I have a 1987 Savage and it seems to be one issue after another. First off I have taken it to two different mechanics. Once i got it back from the first ,I made it three blocks before it died. There are a few issues. The first being that when I slow to a stop, the engine just dies.If I pull the cluch in it dies. The second issue is that when I try to start it , it makes a very loud knocking noise toward the front bottom engine area of the bike.

Second Mechanic had it for 7 months, and when we got it back, it didn't even turn over. Turns out the spark plug wasn't screwed in. That mechanic said the pit thingy valve needed to be replaced. He rebuilt the carb, replaced the battery and did a few other things. then told me it was a lemon.

i don't believe that it is. I think the problem may be obvious to someone who knows the Savage. I decided I would try to work it out myself with the Climber. I figure I couldn't do much worse, after all. I replaced the starter after finding it had a broken tooth in the gear . I was so certain the noise would have stopped, but it didn't. The Belt was cracked so I replaced it. I replaced the solenoid , and a few other electrical parts, as well as the fuel filter.

I really want to get this bike running! It wont start right now, but it try to, which is more than it was doing before. Still though it makes a very loud knocking noise when it try to start.  I would greatly appreciate any info you all have.  Wink

I guess I should also add that when we bought it I took it for a test ride, and it was fine. It rode well for about two weeks before all this started.

« Last Edit: 04/27/16 at 15:41:05 by JesseEnz »  

cam_tensioner.jpg
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Re: Knocking and bike won't start
Reply #1 - 04/23/16 at 10:50:02

1. Drain the OIL and pull the RIGHT SIDE CASE COVER -

2. then READ this thread - http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1180206459

3. Which will lead you to other threads here - http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1181745927

4. Start wrenching ...  Wink

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 04/23/16 at 11:06:30

your 1st problem could've been carb related/fuel issue/petcock problems or just simply too low of an idle speed.
-did he replace the petcock?

Knocking sound can be several issues, but most important did he check the cam chain?

Ok, you said broken tooth... the sad story continues.  Pre 95 engines are prone to tooth breakage, and even worse the bosses and mounts for the starter can be busted out.  This was fixed in later bikes with a torque limiter.  There's an upgrade... see the tech section for "starter gear upgrade".

And a fuel filter shouldn't be necessary if the petcock filters are in place.  In general small sh!t doesn't bother the carb unless the bike gets turned over, it just sits in the bottom of the bowl.  Larger crap does, but the petcock filters will handle it.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/23/16 at 11:27:48

Abused, neglected, yes. Lemon? Nope. Mechanics who just don't Know how to work on these? Everywhere.. even in dealerships.
I have seen two engines destroyed by professional, coff, mechanics. They installed the oil filter Backwards.. Yeah,
The petcock is a problem. The cam chain tensioner, problem..
Knowing what to do when the clutch starts wearing, change the rod, probably only here.

When you ride over to visit the Mechanic on your
Lemon, you can tell him to come here and read up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
JesseEnz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/23/16 at 21:06:50

thanks for all the feed back. Im looking forward to diving into this this weekend . I will post here with more questions as they come up.

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #5 - 04/24/16 at 09:04:16

draining the oil and pulling the right case cover is an INEXPENSIVE trouble shooting point, taking into consideration that you've already had the left side case cover off and found the other issues since resolved, but "noise" persists, logical next step is the right side case cover check for cam tensioner issues.

Next step, if un-resolved noise persists:
means your pulling the cylinder head ...
to check the camshaft, rockers etc ...

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
JesseEnz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/27/16 at 15:40:43

First off I wanted to thank you all for your help, suggestions, and guidance on this issue. I feel hopefull about this bike again. Per the suggestions given, I have drained the oil and taken a look at the tensioner. It measured at 18 mm right now. I have not gone further than that, as I have a couple more questions. Is this a time to replace this piece? Can it be adjusted to a tighter fit? Should I dive further in and remove the chain and measure and/or replace that? Not sure of the next step. Would love some more advise. thanks!

cam_tensioner_001.jpg
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 04/27/16 at 16:02:37

You can take the plunger and add a length to it. Put a hole in it.
And That will force the tube of the plunger back into its tube.
Or, get a Verslavy .

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #8 - 04/28/16 at 22:47:06

If you need to replace the petcock, use Yamaha part number 5LP 24500-01-00. Don't buy a cheaper Chinese version of this. They are less than $30, and mine has worked for 5 yrs without a problem. Keep on fiddling with your bike. This forum has a wealth of knowledge to get it going. Boofer

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 04/29/16 at 07:38:59

JesseEnz wrote on 04/27/16 at 15:40:43:
First off I wanted to thank you all for your help, suggestions, and guidance on this issue. I feel hopefull about this bike again. Per the suggestions given, I have drained the oil and taken a look at the tensioner. It measured at 18 mm right now. I have not gone further than that, as I have a couple more questions. Is this a time to replace this piece? Can it be adjusted to a tighter fit? Should I dive further in and remove the chain and measure and/or replace that? Not sure of the next step. Would love some more advise. thanks!

I would dive deeper before sinking any real money into it.

18mm is ok for now, 19mm is when you should start thinking replace chain or verslavy IF it were running.

Knocking? what's knocking? please explain.

Pre 95's have an issue with breaking teeth.  If the knocking is coming from that side you can pull the starter and spin the gears from the opening.  The teeth that break are usually on the one way clutch mounted on the crank.

Still no joy? pull the header and look at the valves.  No matter how dirty they might be, they should be straight.  You can do the intake as well.

After that, check the piston.  If you got an eyeball on a stick, stick it down the sparkplug hole.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 11:14:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Knocking and bike won't start

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.