Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 12
Send Topic Print
so i locked my rear tire (Read 1274 times)
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
so i locked my rear tire
03/22/16 at 17:29:10

I was taking a corner and accidentally locked my rear tire, which I was going to get replaced next weekend. It is fairly worn. Hit the dirt. Grass thankfully. Now my handlebars and or wheel are not lining up! Feels like I'm turning right when I'm going straight.

Kinda asking if I did bend the bars. Which look straight, but I think I pressed the throttle grip in.

The forks look straight from every direction.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: so i locked my rear tire
Reply #1 - 03/22/16 at 17:39:27

It is easy to "tweak" the forks and make the steering off a bit.  Loosen the bottom clamps on the forks where they pinch the fork tubes.  Straddle the wheel and hold onto it with your legs, and jerk the bars the direction you want to correct them.  Tighten the lower clamps and go for a ride and see if the steering is straight....it may take a few tries to get it correct.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #2 - 03/22/16 at 17:53:55

Dave wrote on 03/22/16 at 17:39:27:
It is easy to "tweak" the forks and make the steering off a bit.  Loosen the bottom clamps on the forks where they pinch the fork tubes.  Straddle the wheel and hold onto it with your legs, and jerk the bars the direction you want to correct them.  Tighten the lower clamps and go for a ride and see if the steering is straight....it may take a few tries to get it correct.

Just for clarity the bottom clamps, are where they lock on to the wheel axle? I havnt looked scrutinizing the bike in a while. Ive forgotten most part layout on it.

Will definitely try this tomorrow! After all I'm a bit sore. I'm hoping I dont have to replace the handle bars. I know I'm going to be getting my tire l and rear brakes done soon

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 03/22/16 at 18:36:00

jrobeson18 wrote on 03/22/16 at 17:53:55:
Just for clarity the bottom clamps, are where they lock on to the wheel axle?

No,.. the lower pair of pinch bolts on the triple tree...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #4 - 03/22/16 at 18:39:51

Serowbot wrote on 03/22/16 at 18:36:00:
jrobeson18 wrote on 03/22/16 at 17:53:55:
Just for clarity the bottom clamps, are where they lock on to the wheel axle?

No,.. the lower pair of pinch bolts on the triple tree...

Okay. Thanks.

IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #5 - 03/24/16 at 09:26:00

Well it fixed it a little bit. It is still a little off. But now the bike cut off on my twice. Once at a stop sign. And the other running 35 two roads before my turn for home. Its sitting idle right now. But it seems to be okay at the moment

IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #6 - 03/24/16 at 12:09:04

Also bike runs with petcock on the PRI position as well as the RES bike will stall in the on position while riding. Will idle on on position

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #7 - 03/28/16 at 14:25:26

Just to offer my experience, I started having problems with fuel starvation after I wrecked mine. The filter screen tube on the petcock (manual Raptor or clone) fell off into the tank and allowed garbage to build on the filter screen located behind the float valve. I hadn't owned the bike long, so I can't say it was the wreck for sure that caused everything, but it started quickly after the wreck.

Not saying you have the same problem, but if you happen to feel like it's starving for gas (not saying you are), that's one kind of thing that could cause a problem. Of course, it sounds like you have the factory petcock? (I never had one on mine). Everyone here knows those give trouble anyway.

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #8 - 03/28/16 at 14:35:01

jrobeson18 wrote on 03/24/16 at 12:09:04:
Also bike runs with petcock on the PRI position as well as the RES bike will stall in the on position while riding. Will idle on on position

Actually, that sounds alot like fuel starvation due to either trash in the system, petcock failing, or both. (IMHO)

In my case, I could drive the thing, but once I got to highway speed for a while, the float bowl would run low, and she would die. Pull over (bowl would slowly refill); restart; run full choke, full throttle all they way while she chugs and jerks along trying to die; she dies; rinse; repeat. Sometimes I couldn't even maintain a reasonable speed. One night I would waddle-run with her just to try to get/keep her running. It was a fight to get home. Fortunately, I had a friend following.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #9 - 03/28/16 at 14:38:33

By the way, how did you lock your rear tire?

IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #10 - 03/28/16 at 15:16:01

cheapnewb24 wrote on 03/28/16 at 14:38:33:
By the way, how did you lock your rear tire?

Going around a turn that gets sharper. Going the speed limit and panicked. Rookie mistake.
Well I saw an oncoming car, and then panic brake. I ended up ditching the turn for softer grass. No dents. No paint scratches. 2 bruises. And now an apparent faulty petcock. I'll have to take it apart and see for myself. Since the bike is 1/5 a tank of gas left...
I'm getting new handlebars And the raptor petcock asap. Probably gunna pull the fenders and repaint them while the rear tire is off getting a new tire put on. As well as rear shoes.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #11 - 03/28/16 at 15:49:29

Check the long bolts that go through the risers while you have the handle bars off. They are easy to bend even with a slow spill. Take them out and roll them on something flat to see if they got bent. Good to hear it wasn't any worse.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #12 - 03/29/16 at 01:35:47

Appreciate it. Now to figure out what's up with the bike.haha

IP Logged
Struch

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LA
Reply #13 - 03/29/16 at 04:33:05

Going around a turn that gets sharper. Going the speed limit and panicked. Rookie mistake.
Well I saw an oncoming car, and then panic brake

If you can check out video Cave Code Twist on the wrist. it going over this aspect and same other to.
Ride safe.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 03/29/16 at 06:51:27

Struch wrote on 03/29/16 at 04:33:05:
Well I saw an oncoming car, and then panic brake

If you can check out video Cave Code Twist on the wrist. it going over this aspect and same other to.
Ride safe.

I went looking. Maybe a link would help.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 12
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/24/24 at 05:19:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › so i locked my rear tire

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.