Smart Turn system (Read 246 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Smart Turn system
04/13/16 at 11:02:12

Ok guys, here I am again being a "beta tester" for an item, but this one is for motorcycles.
I do a lot of You Tube watching on things, and found this after reading a story about the companies "new technology"
Long story short, this device is more than likely a mercury switch for canceling your turn signal after you make your turn.
It is being designed for motorcycles (like ours) with no auto cancel on the turn signal.
I to this day still forget on occasion to turn off my blinker and I have followed the wife and she is worse than me! LOL Smiley
Well, it's creators  are a Slovenian start up company that are hoping to break into the motorcycle parts industry. By becoming a "beta tester" I can purchase the STS (Smart Turn System) at about half price ($100 shipping included, or close to) so if it works i'll have the bragging rights of yet another product test under my belt Smiley
Thought I would throw this out there, to see if it would interest anyone, I will update when I receive it and do an "unboxing" video or some such.

I know of a way to make your blinkers "remind" you when you leave them on, its called a piezo beeper, most alarm systems have one.
All you do is wire it into your blinker relay and it will beep when you activate your blinker and stop when you turn it off, annoying, but it works.
More on this in the future Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quEpgqZN6ho

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: Smart Turn system
Reply #1 - 04/13/16 at 12:28:00

old_rider wrote on 04/13/16 at 11:02:12:
I know of a way to make your blinkers "remind" you when you leave them on, its called a piezo beeper, most alarm systems have one.
All you do is wire it into your blinker relay and it will beep when you activate your blinker and stop when you turn it off, annoying, but it works.

Cool opportunity to test this new system.  I noted your comment about the pezio. Is there a "one" that works for our bike best?  I think I have heard of folks hooking up a LED light to the relay and wiring it up higher on the handlebars somewhere as a visual cue.  I'd like to do that is anyone knows specifically what LED to by and how to wire it.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #2 - 04/13/16 at 13:19:44

Stew,

I wired up an LED to my turn signals and loved the results, but I received a lot of criticism on the forum for doing it.

Stew, here is the old posting:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1425499183/0

Kenny G

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 04/13/16 at 13:52:11

Kenny G wrote on 04/13/16 at 13:19:44:
Stew,

I wired up an LED to my turn signals and loved the results, but I received a lot of criticism on the forum for doing it.

Kenny G

most of the criticism appears to be constructive.   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 04/13/16 at 16:11:24

I use hand signals,... if my arm gets tired, I know I left it on... Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 04/13/16 at 18:34:03

Thanks KennyG. I'm going led shopping  Wink

« Last Edit: 04/13/16 at 19:48:36 by stewmills »  

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - 04/13/16 at 19:18:54

I feel like a complete goofball when I leave my turn signals on.  Embarrassed

If this thing works, I may try one myself.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #7 - 04/13/16 at 21:01:11

Serowbot wrote on 04/13/16 at 16:11:24:
I use hand signals,... if my arm gets tired, I know I left it on... Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 04/13/16 at 22:15:02

Kenny G wrote on 04/13/16 at 13:19:44:
Stew,

Kenny G

Comments, ideas, and you called that criticism?
I'm being critical. I'm criticizing,
You got FEEDBACK,  not flack.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #9 - 04/13/16 at 22:55:10

Justin,

I think that you are right.

Of all the guys that I ride  with  that had something negative to say about my addition of of pilot light on the turn signals not a single one of them ever forgets to cancel their turn signals. Except when I am following them.

My Yamaha V-Star had self cancelling turn signals and for some reason Yamaha discontinued that safety feature.

I could possibly purchase the Smart Turn System depending on the results of Old Rider's testing. For the time being the pilot light is a Life Saver....... Embarrassed

Kenny G

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 04/14/16 at 04:24:31

As I stated in the other thread you linked - my problem with the Savage is the turn signal indicator is down on the tank, and I can't see that with my full face helmet.

Kenny had the right idea to put an indicator light up where it is in your line of sight.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #11 - 04/14/16 at 07:03:15

well it's a lot less expensive than that STS
My XS1100 had self canceling signals, usually they canceled too soon  Grin
I thnk those were on a timer or some such
I do like having a bike with visible TS indicators though
I also prefer bar / tree mounted speedos, etc

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #12 - 04/14/16 at 07:52:45

I ordered some LEDs last night. I am going to toy with the single LED for both versus one or each, and if I can get the single LED to work properly with the resistors that's my goal. Worst case I'll get frustrated and just wire a single LED per each.

If I find success in this mod, I'll try and capture some images and offer some instructions on what I did for those of you that want to give it a go.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #13 - 04/14/16 at 08:03:58

Stew,

I was able to do the pilot light with just one LED. I tapped into the flasher for the LED.

On my Blast the flasher was way back under the seat so I tapped into the front turn signals and have two pilot lights.

You will not have any trouble.

Kenny G

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #14 - 04/14/16 at 08:27:27

Kenny G wrote on 04/14/16 at 08:03:58:
Stew,

I was able to do the pilot light with just one LED. I tapped into the flasher for the LED.

Kenny G

Cool.  When you say you tapped into the flasher, remind me where you tapped in?  I saw some comments that you could tap in inside the headlight bucket or under the seat at one of the connections? and I understood that without the resistor the current will flow back across.  So I presume you had 1 LED with the black to the ground, and 2 leads with resistors on each going to both the L and R blinker post that gets juice when the blinker is on?  If it makes any difference, I have a 2008 with two separate blinker indicators on the tank/speedo versus some of the older bikes that I think had one...so if you had one and tapped into that one line, mine might be a little different? Maybe?

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 01:05:47

General CategoryThe Cafe › Smart Turn system

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.