Send Topic Print
Saddlebags (Read 189 times)
1100dan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Saddlebags
02/23/16 at 20:50:02

I'm hoping for some information on what would be the largest saddlebags available for a savage and is there a kit or means of moving the tail lights to accommodate the large bags. Also, what is the best shield made for this bike. Thanks in advance for your response...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Saddlebags
Reply #1 - 02/23/16 at 21:20:28

WWW   IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #2 - 02/24/16 at 08:55:48

I very much liked the Dakota 3.0 Tall shield my bike had, but it was too tall
If I'd ordered the 3.0 instead of the 3.0 Tall it would have been better
Big shout out to National Cycle though, when I dumped my bike on the 3 sisters, the shield took almost all the punishment, only thing else hurt was the throttle cable and the footpeg and rear turn signal
Also Motport has the stock suzuki shield that many seem to love for only $125, or did last I looked

IP Logged
1100dan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/24/16 at 18:40:41

I'll check out the shields, thanks. I road the 170 out of Presidio east to Del Rio and the 3 sisters last summer. One of the best rides I've done.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 02/24/16 at 20:16:31

1100dan wrote on 02/24/16 at 18:40:41:
I'll check out the shields, thanks. I road the 170 out of Presidio east to Del Rio and the 3 sisters last summer. One of the best rides I've done.

We got a group coming up in April.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1438888894

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 02/25/16 at 03:49:29

I put some small Willie and Max slant saddlebags on my Rescue bike.  They are small enough to fit without any issues with the turn signals - you will need to get (or make) some bag supports to keep the bags out of the shocks/tires/belt covers.  They aren't huge - but big enough for rain gear and anything you will need for day rides.  Overnight trips with camping gear will require another bag fastened on the passenger seat.

It appears the newer models come with Zippers that allow you to remove the bags from the bike, and just leave the center yoke.  You need to cut or mount the center yoke so that it doesn't cover the rectifier and keep airflow from cooling it.

I don't have any pictures.....I will take some and post them.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - 02/25/16 at 19:36:26

Please do! I've been looking at some small W&M bags.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 02/26/16 at 04:03:20

I took pictures last night with my wife's camera...and the darn thing doesn't like my USB cable....so I am having trouble with the photos.  When the others arrive here at work....I will try a different USB cable.

The Will and Max bags I have are 6" wide, 12" long, and 10" tall.  They fit the bike fine with the stock turn signals.  They are not very big - but they do visually fit the bike, and won't be in the way if you have a passenger on the bike.  The only issue I had was with the leather yoke crossing over the top of the rectifier, and I cut the yoke, drilled holes in the fender, and mounted the bags permanently to the fender.  I also installed a flat 1/2" wide aluminum strap to the inside back of each bag to keep the bag from deforming against the fender brackets.

This is likely the modern version if what i have....mine doesn't have the carrying handle or the zipper to remove the saddlebag from the yoke.
http://www.cycleluggage.com/willie_and_max_sb707b_motorcycle_saddlebags.html

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #8 - 02/26/16 at 08:01:03

Those look a lot like my River Road bags
I slung the yoke over the pillion, seemed to work OK, and I could take the bags off the bike any time by cutting some zip ties

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 02/27/16 at 05:25:24

Got some photos.

I couldn't make the strap work well with the 2 piece seat and rectifier, so I just drilled some holes in the fender and bolted the bags to the fender with stainless bolts and acorn nuts.

I also put some aluminum strap inside the bag to help keep the proper shape, the bags were sagging into the fender bracket when empty.  I have to get some acorn nuts to put over the ends of the screws....the aluminum bar was threaded for the screws.

I believe the later one piece seat works better with the bags and can allow the use of the center strap, as the fender for the 2 piece seat has a metal loop that blocks the path behind the rectifier.  It might also have been better to drill and tap holes in the fender brace, and hang the bags from the fender brace in the manner that I have installed the aluminum bar inside the bags.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #10 - 02/27/16 at 17:11:38

1100dan wrote on 02/23/16 at 20:50:02:
... largest saddlebags ... best shield....
The Savage can use just about anything.
Max Morley's Light Touring:
My Street Shield / Leatherlyke:
That National Cycle screen is just 17" tall, wind hit me at eyebrow level.  The "saddlebags" are actually hard lockable panniers that still looked after eight years.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 13:16:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Saddlebags

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.