Send Topic Print
Bang For The Buck (Read 2028 times)
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Re: Bang For The Buck
Reply #75 - 03/19/16 at 17:55:38

Dave wrote on 03/19/16 at 10:56:45:
I looked at a BMW F800 bike today and it would be great for me as a solo rider - but the rear seat doesn't look comfortable for a rider.   It is not nearly as bad as the sport bikes that put the rider up on a perch with their ankles 6" below their butt.....but it is not a touring bike seating position.

Dave, I've noticed that this passenger seat issue is a real problem with most bikes under 1000cc's

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #76 - 04/05/16 at 19:37:25

Officially started my project today...  Bike on the lift at 10 AM and motor on the bench 2 hours later....  Note: No wonder why this motor is so limited. The intake is fairly clean, but the exuast port is terrible.  VERY restrictive.  Shocked   Any effort to increase performance should include porting. Smiley     This should not only improve performance, but reliability, as the engine should run cooler with a less restricted exuast gas (heat) flow.

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #77 - 04/05/16 at 20:41:17

Cool Good luck with the project, old.indian.

I've just ordered a stage 3 cam from Lancer.
I already have a new Wiseco 95mm piston/rings/pin.

Good luck and keep us up to date on your progress  Smiley

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #78 - 04/07/16 at 15:30:14

WARNING !!!! I got the engine torn down today with the following surprises... (note that I bought the bike Dec. '15  with 398x miles with "normal"  tire wear and now has 7150miles) ...Cam chain adjuster at near max extension and clutch worn.  Very slight scuff on piston skirt. Cylinder wall will hone nicely.    I have to think that the PO limited himself to 1 to 5 mile trips OR  he went full twist from day one.  The cam, followers etc. show clean and unscored.....
This bike showed clean with no visible abuse when I bought it.  But it is good that I tore it down when I did. I doubt if that cam chain extender would have lasted another 4-5 k miles.....

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #79 - 04/07/16 at 17:00:41

old.indian wrote on 04/07/16 at 15:30:14:
WARNING !!!! I got the engine torn down today with the following surprises... (note that I bought the bike Dec. '15  with 398x miles with "normal"  tire wear and now has 7150miles) ...Cam chain adjuster at near max extension and clutch worn.  Very slight scuff on piston skirt. Cylinder wall will hone nicely.    I have to think that the PO limited himself to 1 to 5 mile trips OR  he went full twist from day one.  The cam, followers etc. show clean and unscored.....
This bike showed clean with no visible abuse when I bought it.  But it is good that I tore it down when I did. I doubt if that cam chain extender would have lasted another 4-5 k miles.....

WOW! Mine has just over 4xxxx now. I thought I had some time to get that Versy cam  chain adjuster.... Mebee not!!!  Shocked

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #80 - 05/14/16 at 10:31:47

Here we are in the middle of May and it is taking a skosh bit longer than I planned to collect everything...   And of course with the inevitable "change orders" the budget has increased. BUT if the mail stagecoach gets through the Thumper "should" be back together and running before Memorial Day.... Cool  After break in I hope to get it in and dyno it. (At 6,000 feet I don't expect the same numbers as sea level, but the torque and HP curves will tell me what I need to know... Wink
New or changed bits and pieces as part of "The Project" (from the bottom up.)

New cam chain and Varsi's adjuster, Barrett clutch, Wiseco 10.5 CR 94mm piston, Lectron 38mm carb, ported and blueprinted head (with Varsi's head plug), stage 3 camshaft, 1.75 " header and Dyna muffler, 12" shocks, tachometer, and Kawasaki front pulley...  Cool

I expect about a 30% gain in torque and horse power, as well as an addition 500 to 1K RPMs from these modifications, without sacrificing reliably (if I don't go crazy).      

« Last Edit: 05/16/16 at 07:23:20 by old.indian »  

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #81 - 05/14/16 at 16:35:52

old.indian wrote on 05/14/16 at 10:31:47:
Here we are in the middle of May and it is taking a skosh bit longer than I planned to collect everything...   And of course with the inevitable "change orders" the budget has increased. BUT if the mail stagecoach gets through the Thumper "should" be back together and running before Memorial Day.... Cool  After break in I hope to get it in and dyno it. (At 6,000 feet I don't expect the same numbers as sea level, but the torque and HP curves will tell me what I need to know... Wink
New or changed bits and pieces as part of "The Project" (from the bottom up.)
New cam chain and Varsi's adjuster, Barrett clutch, Wiseco 10.5 CR 94mm piston, Carb, ported and blueprinted head (with Varsi's head plug)stage 3 camshaft, 1.75 " header and Dyna muffler, 12" shocks, tachometer, and Kawasaki front pulley...  Cool
I expect about a 30% gain in torque and horse power, as well as an addition 500 to 1K RPMs from these modifications, without sacrificing reliably (if I don't go crazy).      

Yea, that can be the hard part sometimes.   Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #82 - 05/14/16 at 18:55:27

With all that going in, knowing what the throwout is made of, I'd sure be tempted to cut one out of billet.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #83 - 05/20/16 at 16:59:52

The last piece of the puzzle arrived Wednesday afternoon.  Cool
Started putting the puzzle back together at 9 this morning and broke at 12 to do the "Honeydos" for the rest of to day ....  Wink
Got done : Jug honed and cleaned, Wiseco piston installed, reworked head and stage 3 cam installed(with Varsi's head plug), valves adjusted, new cam chain and Varsi's adjuster installed, New Barrett HD clutch assembled and ready to install...   With a little bit of luck, and some help from my friends in the "Over the Hill Motorcycle Gang and Political Whine and Moan Society", I'll have the motor in the frame tomorrow... Cool

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #84 - 05/20/16 at 18:51:50

Old Indian that all sounds really impressive. Keep that project can't wait to see how it all turns out. Best of luck to you.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #85 - 05/21/16 at 07:00:27

springman wrote on 05/20/16 at 18:51:50:
Old Indian that all sounds really impressive. Keep that project can't wait to see how it all turns out. Best of luck to you.

+1  Cool

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #86 - 05/21/16 at 07:30:37

+2

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #87 - 05/21/16 at 09:21:52

Are the springs in the clutch meaner than stock?
The throw out is a known weak link.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #88 - 05/21/16 at 20:51:59

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/21/16 at 09:21:52:
Are the springs in the clutch meaner than stock?
The throw out is a known weak link.

Slightly, but I don't expect to be abusing it.  
From the condition of the original cam chain and piston, the original owner neglected proper break in and twisted it too soon.....
That new Wiseco piston is beautiful. Almost to pretty to hide inside the jug... I didn't weigh them, but the new Wiseco "felt" a few ounces lighter than the stock 94 mm.      I think that porting and blueprinting the head is the key to getting the most out of this engine.        

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #89 - 05/22/16 at 14:00:38

There is a coating for the jug, but I don't know what it costs.
I'd sure hate a report that the throw out gave up.
I shimmed the springs with One washer and matched thickness of them. Mine gave up a few thousand miles later. Busted some stuff up, close to home, inexpensive but not hassle free. I ditched the shims.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:18:17

General CategoryThe Cafe › Bang For The Buck

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.