IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Re: Bang For The Buck
Reply #106 - 06/01/16 at 14:13:39

Sorry for showing my ignorance, but what exactly is a ported and blueprinted head?

Oh, other than not understanding that part it sounds really cool. Waiting for the 11 o'clock news clip. Smiley

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #107 - 06/01/16 at 14:55:21

Blue printed means all wear items replaced/refurbished -- it was put back to nominal running clearances and specs with oversized bearings or pistons, etc.  (Factory specs?)

Ported means the exhaust and intake ports were smoothed but always made larger and a better shaped, supposedly using a flow meter to maximize the measured flow numbers at around the air intake speed of the motor when running at maximum hp.   If referring to a two stroke, the port start height can be altered as well.

These two items are generally considered mutually exclusive and when they are used together in the same mouthful of air they can cause the automatic "uh huh" reaction to take place.

Wink   ..... however, blue printing the block and porting & polishing the heads are proper separate items both to do and to discuss.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #108 - 06/01/16 at 18:23:34

Interesting. Sounds expensive.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #109 - 06/01/16 at 18:34:58

springman wrote on 06/01/16 at 18:23:34:
Interesting. Sounds expensive.

Not really, when you consider every thing that happens in the process and the gain in efficiency and potential. Smiley    

« Last Edit: 06/02/16 at 04:01:14 by Dave »  

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #110 - 06/02/16 at 11:50:58

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 06/01/16 at 14:55:21:

Blue printed means all wear items replaced/refurbished -- it was put back to nominal running clearances and specs with oversized bearings or pistons, etc.  (Factory specs?)

Ported means the exhaust and intake ports were smoothed but always made larger and a better shaped, supposedly using a flow meter to maximize the measured flow numbers at around the air intake speed of the motor when running at maximum hp.   If referring to a two stroke, the port start height can be altered as well.

These two items are generally considered mutually exclusive and when they are used together in the same mouthful of air they can cause the automatic "uh huh" reaction to take place.

Wink   ..... however, blue printing the block and porting & polishing the heads are proper separate items both to do and to discuss.

In my case, "blue printing" refers to magnafluxing the head to find any hidden flaws or cracks, straighten all mating surfaces, testing spring tension and replacing as necessary, checking and replacing as needed valves, guides, rocker arms etc. etc..  Even with out the "porting", my head was improved over the standard head as installed in the factory.
Cool

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #111 - 06/02/16 at 20:30:05

IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #112 - 06/03/16 at 18:50:07

I look at it like this...

If I rode a newly-fettled Savage with...
* the sensible mods done, ie. Versy's adjuster + headplug, Raptor tap, Dyna
* all the engine mods, ie. cam, Wiseco, big-bore pipe, carb tuned to suit
*longer rear shocks, 140/90 tyre

.....I'd be very happy!

The fact that it's got a Barnett clutch, Kwak pulley, Li battery, forwards, and a decent seat makes it even more desirable.

But most of all, the pride, knowledge and experience gained in actually doing it yourself, and making it your bike, is priceless Smiley

Nice bike, Mr O-I  Cool

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #113 - 06/04/16 at 06:39:20

HovisPresley wrote on 06/03/16 at 18:50:07:
I look at it like this...

If I rode a newly-fettled Savage with...
* the sensible mods done, ie. Versy's adjuster + headplug, Raptor tap, Dyna
* all the engine mods, ie. cam, Wiseco, big-bore pipe, carb tuned to suit
*longer rear shocks, 140/90 tyre

.....I'd be very happy!

The fact that it's got a Barnett clutch, Kwak pulley, Li battery, forwards, and a decent seat makes it even more desirable.

But most of all, the pride, knowledge and experience gained in actually doing it yourself, and making it your bike, is priceless Smiley

Nice bike, Mr O-I  Cool

Smiley Thank You HovisP. Smiley

I "built" the Thumper with the idea of being able to ride. Be it to Pie Town, New Mexico (275 miles round trip) for a cup of coffee and a piece of pie, or to Canada, across and back.   Smiley  

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #114 - 06/04/16 at 07:09:41

OI it's a sweet build, congratulations, and I hope you get many sweet miles out of her

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #115 - 06/16/16 at 16:35:44

Completed the first 500 miles of "break in" using a 4,000 RPM "redline".   Cool So this morning I did my part and went through everything. Changed oil and filter (Magnetic drain plug clean with no bits and pieces in the oil or filter.)  Spark plug = slightly rich, OK. All valves clearances = .004 ok (*note. Access is MUCH easier with Raptor petcock and the chrome head cover bits off.)  Smiley  All head and jug bolt torque settings = good.  Header collar bolts tightened.  

FYI... At 6,000 ft. above sea level, and in 5th gear the bike will go from 3,200 RPM to 5,000 RPM* in a heart beat. AND that is with the 25 tooth Kawasaki front pulley.  Per the math, with 140/90-15 rear and 25 tooth front pulley, 5,000 RPM in 5th gear = 80MPH... Shocked
* "Redline" for second 500 miles of break in....  Cool

« Last Edit: 06/18/16 at 16:06:38 by old.indian »  

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #116 - 06/16/16 at 16:54:08

sweet!

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #117 - 06/16/16 at 20:31:47

Nice OI, nice! May the wind be always @ your back brother!

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #118 - 06/16/16 at 21:10:06

Old Indian, I agree with Hovis. Such great pride that you can take on this build. Beautiful. I take my hat off to you sir.

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #119 - 06/24/16 at 11:50:02

800 miles into the 1,000 mile break in.   I stopped at the scale today, on the road/ fighting weight is exactly 400 pounds.... Undecided  (Plus 195 pounds & 6' of old geezer in the saddle.)      I'll dyno it in a few weeks and post the graphs.... Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:17:09

General CategoryThe Cafe › Bang For The Buck

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.