Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
$10 HF Snail Horns - Worth it? (Read 296 times)
mjs3790225

Finally making a
presence!

Orlando, Fl
Re: $10 HF Snail Horns - Worth it?
Reply #15 - 11/08/15 at 18:20:39

Also, I used to work at Harbor Freight. Having alerted the company of this product's dangerous faults concerning the relay, I can also say they don't care.

1996 LS650 - University of Central Florida

Complete: Raptor, Dyna, Carb rejet, Seat cover, Cam Chain, HID lamp, front pulley, plug leak

MPGs please
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 11/09/15 at 03:03:01

If you want good quality at 6 times the price......Bosch!
(And you will have to supply the relay yourself).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bosch-H3F-Digital-Fanfare-The-Power-Of-Digital-Dual-H...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #17 - 11/10/15 at 18:04:48

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/07/15 at 13:47:44:
coupla in easy grasp ball bearings.

I do that, for tailgaters that just won't get the message

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #18 - 11/11/15 at 01:20:06

First opportunity to use the new horns came today.  A woman in one of those "margarine" SUV's (...you know, the type that's really a car frame but built out to look like an SUV) was driving out of a parking garage, preparing to cross my lane and enter the opposing lane of traffic.  She of course decided not to look both ways.  I honked my new horn and she immediately turned her head 180 degrees and saw me in time to stomp on the brakes.  Disaster averted...$10 well spent.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
tpelle
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 11/18/15 at 15:28:14

My only comment is about not using a fuse where you tapped on to the battery.  The fuse is not to protect the horn, it's to protect the wire.  If your wire should vibrate against the frame or gas tank - whatever - and wears through the insulation ( Does your S40 vibrate?), the wire will ground against the frame.  At that point the entire cranking amps that the battery can deliver (And I guarantee it's a bunch more than the 16 gage wire can carry!) Will try to flow through that 16 gage wire, which will melt down.  At best it won't be pretty, and at worst it will set your bike, and your house, if you park in a garage, on fire.

Coming from an electrical engineer and retired firefighter.......get a fuse in that circuit, and as close to the battery as you can.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 11/18/15 at 20:22:00

Ayyupp, that'd be a correct installation.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #21 - 11/19/15 at 00:45:43

Agreed, the fuse should be included in the wiring.  I didn't have one at the time so I just didn't.  I used a high durability automotive wire which meets SAE J1128 standards for heat, gasoline, oil, solvent, and acid resistance.  I zip tied the wire to the wiring harness and there weren't any jagged or sharp edges in the wiring route and It doesn't make contact with the frame anywhere so I felt confident just installing it without one.  I considered using a nylon wire loom, which I have a whole spool of, but decided against it since I was already nearly done when I thought about it.  The next time I go to EPO I'll grab a fuse and fuse holder and get it in there.  FWIW, in the time since I started this thread this $10 deal from HF has saved my bacon a couple of times already, so I think I'm ahead.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Jer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 11/22/15 at 05:00:00

Awesome. The stock horn is a joke. I'm wondering if you just installed one of the two if it'd be loud enough. What do you think?

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #23 - 11/22/15 at 10:00:09

Jer wrote on 11/22/15 at 05:00:00:
Awesome. The stock horn is a joke. I'm wondering if you just installed one of the two if it'd be loud enough. What do you think?

When I installed them I listened to them individually before connecting them both.  They are both louder than the stock horn by themselves, but together they are much louder.  The discord of the pair is important.  Individually they're fine, but together they are startling.  One horn by itself would not inspire an involuntary muscle spasm from a pedestrian at the sound of it...mwahaha, I love getting that reaction.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 00:27:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › $10 HF Snail Horns - Worth it?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.