Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
$10 HF Snail Horns - Worth it? (Read 296 times)
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
$10 HF Snail Horns - Worth it?
11/07/15 at 00:07:51

So, I got the $10 Harbor Freight snail horns recently and decided to install them tonight after work.  Are they worth it?  You decide...

VIDEO https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVdxPTU21OY

Harbor Freight ad page http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-12-volt-electric-horn-set-99911.html

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: $10 HF Snail Horns - Worth it?
Reply #1 - 11/07/15 at 03:14:50

How can they make anything like that for $ 10?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #2 - 11/07/15 at 06:09:34

reviews for these are 3 star at best, taking into consideration all the fake reviews.

bad flimsy brackets
bad wiring
HUGE current draw
dead outta the box
bad relays
cheap chrome plating

*I would spend $10 more bucks and buy a set from Amazon

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 11/07/15 at 07:58:03

This has been discussed before and I'm on the fence about it. With a louder "car type horn", people tend to look for another car. That puts you at risk. They don't think there could be a motorcycle blowing that horn.

However, a louder horn does sound like a safer option. It makes people more aware of you, hopefully. That should add to the safety factor.

What do you guys think?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 11/07/15 at 08:04:52

From experience, someone put a big rig horn on a car. I was wrong, horn got honked, I STILL nearly messed up, because I was looking for a Big Rig.
That said, a horn not heard is not a horn at all.
Loud, but not too much bass?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #5 - 11/07/15 at 10:29:47

DesertRat wrote on 11/07/15 at 06:09:34:
reviews for these are 3 star at best, taking into consideration all the fake reviews.

1. bad flimsy brackets
2. bad wiring
3. HUGE current draw
4. dead outta the box
5. bad relays
6. cheap chrome plating

*I would spend $10 more bucks and buy a set from Amazon

1. Flimsy brackets? Yes, they are.  I wouldn't expect the $20 Amazon variety to be any better.  I made my own.. took less than two minutes to do.
2. Bad wiring?  No wiring.  These don't include wiring.  Bad wiring is user error.
3. HUGE current draw?  I doubt the Amazon variety will be any better.
4. Dead outta the box?  Most likely user error.
5. bad relays? Probably user error.
6. cheap chrome plating?  The $20 Amazon version is going to be expensinve chrome plating?  Probably not.

I think the difference between the HF and the Amazon versions of this is most likely just packaging.  Probably the same internals.  Probably made in the same Chineese factory.  Just saying

Kris01 wrote on 11/07/15 at 07:58:03:
This has been discussed before and I'm on the fence about it. With a louder "car type horn", people tend to look for another car. That puts you at risk. They don't think there could be a motorcycle blowing that horn.

However, a louder horn does sound like a safer option. It makes people more aware of you, hopefully. That should add to the safety factor.

What do you guys think?

I just want to get their attention.  The reason I wanted a louder horn is because a guy who was looking at his phone drove his SUV fully into the opposing lane of traffic on a two way road.  I happened to be in the opposing lane.  He didn't hear my rinky dink horn because it cut out and died when I activated it.  Thankfully he looked up from his phone just in time to swerve back into his own lane before making stew out of me.  I had another time when I was on the freeway and a lady was veering out of her lane into mine because she was looking down at her phone.  That was on a different bike and that bike also had snail horns on it.  She heard the horn and corrected her lane position.  Things like that are the only times I've ever had to use my horn.   The only other time I use my horn are when people aren't paying attention and a light turns green but they aren't going.  I think this horn will serve well.  I can't imagine a time when an emergency is occuring and the driver will ignore the immediate emergency because he's confused about the origin of a horn.  A guy like that isn't likely to respond correctly to a roadrunner "meep meep" horn either.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #6 - 11/07/15 at 11:02:59

Louder horns are better horns
I like the Fiamm ,freeway blaster' for the local auto parts
put one on my Ninja 500, and every time I hit it, my riding buddy flinched
Good
if he flinched, he heard it
The Savage has a particularly bad horn, a kitten mews louder
sorta like the apparently candle-powered stock headlight

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 11/07/15 at 13:47:44

coupla in easy grasp ball bearings.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #8 - 11/07/15 at 14:14:43

chzeckmate, I was just quoting all the reviews. And you asked if they were worth it?

I read reviews before I purchase anything. I have found that the majority of HF nuts is just that, pure $#!T! My guess is that what they're selling is the cast offs and those that failed QC the first time around.

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #9 - 11/07/15 at 18:10:35

Yeah, I understand...I find it more likely that where this type of electronic device is concerned that there would be a fair amount of user error.  I'd assume that before I'd assume a reputable business like Harbor Freight would pass along cast offs to unsuspecting consumers. The question became is it worth paying more to get the $20 horns of the same variety from Amazon.  I'd think it's fair to say it's not.  At least I have no reason to believe so given my experience. That's my line of thinking anyway.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 11/07/15 at 23:12:50

Other than one model of motorcycle lift, Harbor Freight sells garbage. Our tire machine, rated for up to LT315/75R16E (10 ply 4x4 tires), can't even pop off a P225/75R14 4 ply Ranger tire. The motorcycle tire attachment does not have the ability to actually hold a motorcycle rim. Cut off discs fly apart on anything thicker than a beer can.

Need a decent snail horn or two? Older domestic pickups, $5/ea at any pull-a-part. The one near me lets you test them before purchasing.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #11 - 11/08/15 at 11:30:29

WD beat me to it.  I was going to suggest a horn off a car or truck from a junkyard.  You'll get OEM quality so you know it will last. Just test before you buy or ge a swap out guarantee so you can get another if it doesn't work.

Having said that, I have used a couple HF horns before. I found the build quality to be lacking, but serviceable. I don't believe that any of the ones they sell actually meet their output dB ratings.  I have tried a couple different ones rated at 130 dB or better and they were barely louder than the little meep-meep horns they replaced. Not saying they are all like that or that they still are. It's been a few years since I used one.

Want a nice, loud, good looking motorcycle horn? Get an old Honda CB horn. It's a snail horn under a nice round chrome cover. Makes nice noise that can be heard. Sounds like a car horn. Still not quite as loud as a car horn though but much louder than the savage stock horn.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #12 - 11/08/15 at 11:36:25

I have used a Harley Cow Bell from a Sportster on the last half dozen bikes that I owned.

I haven't been able find a place on my S40 to mount the Cow Bell that looks right.

The Cow Bell is loud and it sounds like a motorcycle.

Kenny G

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #13 - 11/08/15 at 11:46:13

The 99911 HF horn says 110 decibels on the package.  I don't know what the actual output is, but it's very loud...loud enough that it startles pedestrians on the sidewalk (mwah ha ha).  Maybe I got lucky with mine.  For $10 it's better than stock by a lot.  HF is just down the street from me and I was picking up a new wrench anyway.  I'm feeling pretty good about it.  I don't make it to the salvage yard very often, but I think that's an excellent idea if you're already going anyway.  Otherwise you can't beat the convenience of the HF deal.

IP Logged
mjs3790225

Finally making a
presence!

Orlando, Fl
Reply #14 - 11/08/15 at 18:13:35

I used these on my motorcycle for a while. They are definitely louder than the stock buzzer.

I can say with 100% certainty that you should NOT use the included relay. It looks like a normal automotive relay, but inside they kludged in some tiny underrated relay that cannot handle the current draw of the horns. Trust me, I took the current readings and compared the datasheets to the actual relay inside the relay. So unless you want to press your horn button and find out that your relay isn't going to fire because it burnt out the last time you used it, use a different relay. And find a relay that is actually rated for being waterproof (learned that the scary way). Anyway, here is an image I took of the included relay:

That being said I enjoyed the horns while I had them even though I sounded like a car (maybe a good thing?)

After I replaced the horns with something else I took them apart as well. Inside I found the electromagnetic coil that creates the movement to generate the sound rusting in one of them. It was still operating, but I imagine it would have failed whenever it wanted to. I imagine it filled with water and didn't drain out. I imagine that is because this particular one had the sound outlet part oriented so it was at the top and made the thing act like a bucket.

So yeah, not the highest quality of horn in the long run.

1996 LS650 - University of Central Florida

Complete: Raptor, Dyna, Carb rejet, Seat cover, Cam Chain, HID lamp, front pulley, plug leak

MPGs please
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 18:10:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › $10 HF Snail Horns - Worth it?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.