Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
rear pulley shimming with floor mat instructions (Read 550 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: rear pulley shimming with floor mat instructio
Reply #15 - 11/11/15 at 09:34:06

I don't believe it would work very well to put the floor matt shims behind the stock rubber snubber pieces.  There is a nipple on them that pushes through a hole in the drum and holds them in place, and with the floor matt shim back there - I don't believe the wider part of the nipple could be pushed through far enough hold them in place.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #16 - 11/11/15 at 09:39:16

Grin he said nipple

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 11/11/15 at 10:37:01

I didn't know what else to call it....nubbin, projection, stubbie? Huh

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #18 - 11/11/15 at 11:10:53

I like 'nipple'
I suspect others will, too
the 'outline it in cardboard and cut it out' idea would also make a good template for doing more of them later
of course, once you have one, you may never need another

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 11/11/15 at 17:39:59

Well, I'm really gonna try to not take full advantage of Dave and his wardrobe malfunction, exposing the heretofore unbeknownst to me, Savage nipples.. But, the question I have is, if ya pierced the mat and gave it the same hole as a wedge, is the nipple long enough to make it work?
Dave, should I know why that protuberance exists without any explanation? I sure don't get it.
And, maybe the snowflake is just the ticket.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 11/12/15 at 03:14:39

The nipple is there to hold the rubber cushions in place......it pushes through the hub and sticks out inside the brake drum side of the hub.  It is what keeps the cushions from falling out every time you take the rear wheel off.

They are just long enough to work as they are....there is no room to put the floor matt shim between the cushion and the hub.  The floor matt shim needs to be on the outside.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 11/12/15 at 16:26:43

Well, dadgummitt Dave, now I gotta go Back to the shop and put you up Another Gold star. That's a fine and complete answer, thank you, sir. And now it's completely clear that the snowflake is the answer. Unless someone wants to cut out and stuff and glue individual pieces, I guess?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Transp0rt3r
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Calgary, AB
Reply #22 - 04/03/19 at 14:45:01

Sorry for resurrecting 4-year-old thread but it helped me to track down the belt squeak AND brake shoes squeal too. Cheesy

Took the rear wheel down and tore it all apart yesterday. The rubber pads behind the pulley have indentation marks more than what I've seen in other member's pictures. Which makes me think there was more wobble with a rear pulley than should be.

Going to clean it all out, do the rubber mat mod, wash the drive belt, sand brake shoes - too much glaze so they squeal.

[/url]

2011 Savage s40, Raptor petcock, Dyna muffler, K&N drop-in filter, Jetted carb: 152(main)/52(pilot), Versy cam chain tensioner, reversed stock risers, rear turn signal relocate and LEDs.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 04/04/19 at 03:45:26

When the pulley gets that much wobble.....it means the bearing is getting a lot of play in it.

Maybe you should replace the pulley hub bearing as well?  Make sure it turns smoothly and has grease in it - I believe the backside of the bearing is open and you can see the balls from the backside when you remove the spacer.  (Don't forget to put the pulley hub spacer back in.....you need it!).

IP Logged
Transp0rt3r
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Calgary, AB
Reply #24 - 04/04/19 at 15:31:32

Thank you, I've already put all the spacers back on the axle and mount it on to the bike. Old habit hahah this way I know the order they came off.

It has grease from what I can see and turns smoothly. I'll peek from the other side and inspect the inside of the barrel. The brake side has a bearing too, not sure if I can remove it easily to peek inside.

2011 Savage s40, Raptor petcock, Dyna muffler, K&N drop-in filter, Jetted carb: 152(main)/52(pilot), Versy cam chain tensioner, reversed stock risers, rear turn signal relocate and LEDs.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 04/05/19 at 03:25:37

The bearing I want you to inspect is in the pulley hub.....not the wheel hub.  The single bearing in the pulley hub just isn't sufficient to handle the eccentric load....and it wears over time and allows the pulley to go out of alignment.  For some reason the wheel hubs on the early bike where machined better - then the later bikes have too much clearance and allow the bearing to wear rapidly and allow pulley wobble.

Remove the axle spacer in the pulley hub....and look at the bearing inside this:

IP Logged
Junker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 04/09/19 at 22:27:27

Is this (the rubber mat mode) and your (Daves) rear bearing mod pinned in the Tech section?

« Last Edit: 04/10/19 at 22:27:04 by Junker »  
  IP Logged
LuckyLuna

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 09/04/23 at 07:05:45

Is there any way in hell, that we could get the pictures reposted? every one is an error so I have no idea what we're talking about here.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #28 - 09/04/23 at 07:24:59

Luckyluna
Do yourself a favor and don’t even bother with shining up the pulley.
Do the DragBikeMike double wide bearing conversion and really fix the problem. Easy date.
You’ll need a modified left hand spacer (i do those), and a new bearing (Ebay or bearing supply).
Vastly superior fix.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #29 - 09/04/23 at 07:47:47

Yeah DBMs bearing upgrade is really the best option , anything less isn’t fixing anything ! Belt or chain drives. It’s amazingly stable even better with nice shocks. Cheap and easy to install.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 12:15:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › rear pulley shimming with floor mat instructions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.