cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
New Tire Discussion
11/03/15 at 14:14:49

Thanks, Serobot; you're awesome

I assume you mean the lightness of the bike is an advantage.

Yeah, that rear tire has so much tread on it. I gather that those Metzlers are notorious for getting old and hard before they actually wear out. I am trying to get some use out of it before I finally have to break over and throw it away (what a shame). I am trying not to start a money pit. (I guess I had better not buy a Harley anytime soon Grin, or any plastic-laden sportbike, for that matter. I have been considering a 140/90-15 for better highway performance or a 130/90-15 otherwise. Does the 140/90 have better handling, stability, or safety than the stock 140/80 size or is it worse because it is bigger? I don't mind changing the bolts on the sissy bar for clearance as I had to buy bolts for that thing already. Is clearance/rubbing going to be an issue, considering lumps, bumps, potholes, loading, shock settings, and mud in the fenders?

Thanks alot for the vent tube advice. That was helpful.

As far as the compressed air was concerned, I wasn't really a fan of the idea anyway--seemed a bit fruitless. I think he was going to do it with the fuel line off the carb, so the diaphragms wouldn't be involved. You may have a point about the tank seam, assuming he can even get a good enough seal on the tank using an old rag to actually break the tank. I doubt I'll let him do it anyway.

« Last Edit: 11/05/15 at 03:41:21 by Dave »  

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Help! Fuel starvation or ignition problem?
Reply #1 - 11/03/15 at 14:20:01

cheapnewb24 wrote on 11/03/15 at 14:14:49:
I have been considering a 140/90-15 for better highway performance or a 130/90-15 otherwise. Does the 140/90 have better handling, stability, or safety than the stock 140/80 size or is it worse because it is bigger?

My vote would be for the 130/90-15 tire.....the bike doesn't need a wider tire, and a narrower tire has been reported to improve handling by the folks who have bought one.

The Savage is a bike that can be a "beginner" - but you don't have to trade it in to get up interstate speeds.  An awful lot of us on this forum have been riding for a long time (more than 50 years for me....with a 35 year gap), and although we have ridden and may own other bikes, we still find the Savage a fun bike to own and ride.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #2 - 11/03/15 at 14:35:02

Thanks, Dave

I am wondering how the 140/90 actually handles compared to the 140/80. Do you have any experience with that? I am really interested in a little taller gearing for the highway; however, I have never actually taken it on the Interstate before, so I don't really need it yet. I do wonder about a little taller gearing like a taller tire or chain conversion combined with a custom made 5th gear. It'll do 70 no problem when its running right, and its not really uncomfortable, though the engine does start to whine a little going that fast. The thought of doing around 4700 rpm constantly on an engine that peaks around 5400 and redlines at 6500 has me wondering. I do wish that 4th and 5th were spaced a little farther apart.

On the other hand, if I make the overall gearing too much taller, I may have lugging issues going up steep hills/rough terrain at low speeds.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 11/03/15 at 15:07:18

A 130 tire will be a little quicker steering in the twisties,.. but a 140/90 would serve you better on a muddy stretch... with a wider surface area...

Everything is a compromise...

Here's some speed charts you might find interesting...
Note... the 130 shown is an 18"... not applicable to you.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1341162964

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 11/03/15 at 15:14:44

cheapnewb24 wrote on 11/03/15 at 14:35:02:
I have never actually taken it on the Interstate before, so I don't really need it yet. I do wonder about a little taller gearing like a taller tire or chain conversion combined with a custom made 5th gear.   On the other hand, if I make the overall gearing too much taller, I may have lugging issues going up steep hills/rough terrain at low speeds.

A custom fifth gear would be nice.....although most people would not be qualified or willing to remove and disassemble the engine just to change fifth gear.

Until you start doing a lot of 70+ mph traveling, you don't need to worry about gearing changes, and with gearing changes a bit of a HP increase is helpful as well.  If you ride less than 70 mph the stock gearing does just fine.

It is possible to use a Kawasaki pulley on the engine to bump up the gearing a bit - but it does take some machine work on the pulley.  It is also possible to use a Kawasaki rear pulley on the back for even more of a change.  However....this is something to explore later when you have a bike that actually runs reliably.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #5 - 11/03/15 at 15:27:36

Hmm... that's interesting. A wider tire does better in the mud? Why do dirtbikes have such narrow tires? But then, with pedal bikes, dirt bikes are usually the ones with the wider tires compared to road bikes. I would guess that a 140/90 would be better in curves than the 140/80 given that the 90 is more round compared to the 80, but not as good as the 130/90. Does the 140/90 fit the rim really well, or is it a little too wide for the rim? should I worry about flexion or any other negative handling characteristics? Or is it simply a choice between quick steering and traction behavior, and (as others have mentioned) straight line stability? Perhaps having a tire that leans and turns too easily could invite more of a fight on the highway with crosswinds, as light bikes are supposedly notorious for this. (I haven't been blown away yet Wink) Maybe my own weight has something to do with it Cheesy.

I do realize this is not a tire thread Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #6 - 11/03/15 at 20:19:41

I currently run a 140/90 rear. There is no benefit except very slightly lower rpm at highway speed, the Savage is, like most cruisers, over-tired for looks from the factory
For comparison, my now sold XS1100, a 600lb bike with 95 HP, ran a 130/90/18, with no traction issues
that's 1 1/2 Savages, with 3x the power, on a narrower tire
Some riders, myself included, have noticed a LOSS of top end in hotter weather with the bigger tire. For me the clearance issue was slight, and cranking up the spring preload fixed it, and that's with saddlebag brackets on the rear
I plan on going to the 130/90 next, I need all the help I can get in the curves
(THEY CALL ME CAPTAIN SLOW  Grin)
*also captain unintended capslock

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #7 - 11/03/15 at 22:14:24

my bike has the 140/90 Kenda challenger. the weight I saved on the dyna muffler was pissed away on the 140/90 tire, it's heavy. Go for the 130/90!
By the way, the 140/90 on the stock rim looks like a Dunlop Triangular race tire from the '60s, weird! Cool

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 11/04/15 at 02:26:47

The important thing about getting a tire, is to get one that fits the rim.  When you put a wide tire on that was not made to fit on a narrow rim, you pull the side walls in and make the tread cross section too round, and you wear out the center of the tread too soon and get a tire that feels like if "flops" over when you begin the turns.

Here is a link to my discussion on the "Too Wide" tire for a Cafe' conversion using the 18x2.50 rear rim.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1435340395

For the stock 15x3.25 rim any of the tire sizes you mentioned are suitable to fit on the rim, and will work.  The 140/90-15 is obviously the biggest and heaviest and it will slow the bike down a bit as the mass makes it less willing to change speed or direction.  However....the actual changes aren't going to make a night and day difference to a new rider.....the bike will ride just fine with any of the tires and you most likely won't be able to tell the difference in a week or two after you adapt to the new tire.

Dirt bike use wide tires if they want to float on top of mud/sand, and narrow tires if they want to cut through the slop and get to the firm dirt underneath.  Any tire that you can buy that fits the Savage rim is going to be a pavement tire, and not so good on gravel or mud.  Cruiser tires tend to have a lot of rubber and a smooth design down the center to get good tire mileage and quiet running - and it will be slick in the mud.  For best traction in mud you need to get some tread down the center of the tire....however you are not going to find a tire for this bike that is going to be able to "dig in" to dirt/mud.  I still believe the 130/90-15 is the best tire size for you as it will help the tire to get through the slick mud on top and down into the dirt underneath, and it also gets you a wider selection of tires to choose from. There is very little to choose from in the 140/80 stock size, a better selection in the 130/90 size, and the largest selection in the 140/90 size.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #9 - 11/04/15 at 09:56:58

Houston, We have a problem. Huh

I checked the rim sizes both on the net and on my bike. It is 2.15 on the front and 2.75 on the rear, not 3.25.

Anyway, from the looks of the chart, the factory stuffed the widest thing they possibly could have onto that rear rim (140). It looks like 130 is well within the range of recommended widths. Actually, the 130/90 could theoretically go on a much larger rim. Perhaps the most interesting thing is that the rear rim is so narrrow that it would theoretically take a tire with the same profile (width and a/r) as the front tire Shocked. Imagine running around with a 100/90-15 on the rear!

I noticed that the Shinko 712 is only available in 140/90, AFAIK. The shinko 734 (the one that looks like a Dunlop) is available in 130/90 and its cheap Cheesy. The 734 has center tread, but the grooves are rather small. If I went 130/90, then I would have to mismatch tires. What would you recommend? I bet the 130 would be more likely to be blown around on the highway than the stock tire given that it is rounder and easier to steer.

I'll probably try to get a few miles on the tire I have before I throw it away. I'll probably try to get the thing running today if I can get the chance. I'll keep you posted.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #10 - 11/04/15 at 10:07:20

Pirelli MT 66 is cheap, a good tire, and comes in 130/90 last I checked
A 100/90 would steer sharply indeed
I don't think tire size matters a spit in a hurricane so far as being blown around on the highway, that's more down to bike size / weight / design, and not really an issue anyway, since the bike will correct any blowing around itself if you let it

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 11/04/15 at 10:33:23

Sorry about quoting the wrong rear rim width....I was trying to do it from memory.  The 2.75 rear rim width makes it even more important not to get too wide of a rear tire.

cheapnewb24 wrote on 11/04/15 at 09:56:58:
I bet the 130 would be more likely to be blown around on the highway than the stock tire given that it is rounder and easier to steer.

I don't believe that your above statement is necessarily correct.  Just because a tire has a narrower width - doesn't mean the tire becomes tippy or is more likely to get blown around on the highway....provided that it is on the correct size rim.  Look at the sketch below where I had a 110/80 on a 2.50 rim and a 130/70 on a 3.50 rim....both are on the recommended rim and the tread cross section is identical - however one is wider than the other and most likely will have a bit more rubber on the road.

I believe that most likely the bike will be less stable if you put a wide tire on a narrow rim....as it pulls the sidewalls in too far and the tire loses some of the support it was designed to have.  And if you don't drop the air pressure down a bit, the overly rounded tread cross section will put less rubber in contact with the pavement.

This is a comparison of the 130 tire mounted on the 2.50" rim and the 3.50 rim.  You can see how the narrow 2.50 rim arches the tire out of the proper shape, and the overly round shape will provide less tire on the road surface.

Once combination of tires I had on my Cafe' bike last year was a 90/90-18 front and a 110/80-18 rear tire.  The rear tire looked a bit narrow by modern standards - but it rode just fine and is plenty of tire for the Savage weight and HP.

I have copied the tire fitment chart here....so you can see what tires are recommended for the 2.75 rim.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 11/04/15 at 10:54:39

cheapnewb24 wrote on 11/04/15 at 09:56:58:
I bet the 130 would be more likely to be blown around on the highway than the stock tire given that it is rounder and easier to steer.

While logically I can see how you can justify this, but I don't think it's true.
If the tires are more responsive, then less control is required to keep it straight.
Beast feels like a precision tool compared to the stocker.  She goes exactly where pointed.
90/90-19 and 130/90-15 plus other things   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #13 - 11/04/15 at 10:56:40

I get what you're saying.

It is not about aspect ratio or width, especially since the aspect ratio may not necessarily take into account the actual tread profile. Rather, it only indicates how tall the tire is compared to its width. Is that not correct?

Most importantly, what is really happening is that too wide a tire for the rim could cause the tread profile to actually become steeper, which may be initially counter-intuitive, but given that it is pinched into a narrow rim, this makes sense. Tread profile is a combination of factory tread contours along with rim/tire size match. Tire size alone gives a clue, but it can sure fool ya.  

The above combination will probably encourage a lowside crash, don't you think?

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #14 - 11/04/15 at 11:01:06

Here's an interesting link to the Rebel forum. http://www.rebel250.com/rebelforum/viewtopic.php?p=176629 From what I gather the rear rim size is the same on the Rebel, and the factory tire is 130/90-15.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 15:22:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Tire Discussion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.