Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
starter motor (Read 35 times)
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
starter motor
10/02/15 at 11:27:28

Hi all , put a new starter motor in and engine wont turn over. I took it out and tried it outside the bike and it spins round like a dream but put it back in the bike and no go any ideas anyone,cheers

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: starter motor
Reply #1 - 10/02/15 at 11:48:39

can you tell us what have you've done to the bike since it last worked?

WWW   IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #2 - 10/02/15 at 12:08:31

Hi verslagen, its had a new alternator but I rode it after that with a bump start ( so even then it wouldn't start off the button but I thought the battery had flattened a bit cos it had been stored for a month )  but after about 10 miles it stopped and I had to get the recovery guys out, then I took the switch gear off and the starter button wire had come loose so I soldered that but it still wont start from the starter. There's more than one problem the other being electrical somewhere ( it really needs a new wiring harness ) which I am in the process of looking at but the starter motor problem is there when I am using a known fully charged  battery

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #3 - 10/02/15 at 15:10:04

Are you sure you got the washers on the idler gears back in the right place? There's one that doesn't get a washer.

Is there any sort of clicks or anything when you hit the start button? There should be two click .5 sec apart. Any voltage at the starter when the button is pressed?

Kick stand down, clutch handle pulled in to the bars, trans in neutral, kill switch in run position?

Have you tried bypassing the bike's wiring and jumping the + directly to the connection on the starter motor?

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #4 - 10/02/15 at 16:24:45

Hi, I'm pretty sure the washers were where they were supposed to be but thats going to be the next port of call. We were getting the clicks one for the decomp and then the one for the starter. Theres no safety on the stand or the clutch trans was in neutral and we did jump straight to the starter motor a lot of sparks but still nothing . It does look like something is stopping the starter from starting the motor so the next job is removing the casing again and checking we haven't left a spanner in there  Shocked, cheers will get back in touch when the mechanicals have been checked

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 22:57:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › starter motor

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.