Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
idler gear thrust washer (Read 47 times)
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
idler gear thrust washer
10/02/15 at 18:04:44

Hi agin, further to my question about the starter motor - My bike is a 88 savage so I did the torque limiter mod kept the same idler gear and to save meself work bought a 96 casing and for some unknown reason I'm sure I put a thrust washer on the shaft of the idler gear between the gear and outer casing and I'm also pretty sure I put one behind the gear as well -  now I've looked everywhere and can't find any mention of thrust washer anywhere. I haven't just thought, I know I'll put a washer there and see what happens, I know I read it somewhere cos sticking washers in places washers dont go is not my style ( electrics on the other paw I could imagine meself doin allsorts of crap but thats another story  Smiley ) could someone please reassure me that thrust washer are a part of the idler gear scenario, thanks for looking

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: idler gear thrust washer
Reply #1 - 10/02/15 at 18:11:56

The torque limiter gear has a washer front and back.....the idler gear nearest the starter motor has no washers on it.  If you put one on it.....it can lock up the gear and it will not rotate willingly, as the outer case jambs the gear tight.

See reply #24 in this thread.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1288911670/15

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #2 - 10/03/15 at 03:38:38

Cheers Dave so what sort of damage would occur if the washer goes on the wrong one, I'm not going to remove the casing and find a box of bits am I ? How come theres no mention of it in the Clymers Manual ?

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 10/03/15 at 05:42:06

I don't think it will have broken anything.

The Clymers manual doesn't deal with you changing parts from one year to another, and most likely they do show a diagram somewhere of where the parts are supposed to go.  The problem we have is that when you pull the cover off the outer washer generally clings to the case, and falls onto the floor when you pull the cover off......and unfortunately we tend to install the washer in the wrong place when we put it back.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #4 - 10/03/15 at 06:07:07

Thanks for putting me mind at ease, it did come off with the cover and was stuck to the magnetic pick up thingy so even though I bump started it and rode it nothing will have broke, praise the lord a balls up that didn't end in calamity cheers Dave. Now back to the electrics ( if only they were as easy to remedy)  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/31/24 at 23:47:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › idler gear thrust washer

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.