Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 18
Send Topic Print
Microsoft Windows 10 (the ongoing saga) (Read 3548 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Microsoft forcing Windows 10 on UNWILLING peop
Reply #15 - 09/13/15 at 07:03:56

old_rider wrote on 09/13/15 at 00:13:20:

"This somewhat shocking development was discovered by The Inquirer "

I stopped reading the post after that line.... might as well said The Examiner or The Star....  

Would you read one from these guys?    

http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/11/windows-10-preload/

.... or these guys?

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/microsoft-forces-windows-google-android-pay-tech...

..... and I like the "balanced reporting" that is shown by these Makeuseof guys and the Re/Code guys, who have identified by asking just how come MS thinks they have the right to send the Borg into your house at night with you being in objection to slimy mostly dead and rotting semi-mechanical beings touching you all over your body while you sleep.

"Ina Fried, at re/code, received an unambiguous response from Microsoft (finally!) when questioned: “The license terms for Windows 10 require Automatic Updates be enabled as a part of keeping our customers secure and delivering Windows as a service.”

The EULA statement says:

6. Updates. The software periodically checks for system and app updates, and downloads and installs them for you," reads the EULA's section 6. "You may obtain updates only from Microsoft or authorized sources, and Microsoft may need to update your system to provide you with those updates. By accepting this agreement, you agree to receive these types of automatic updates without any additional notice."

Now, how did they do it to you?   They used this wording in the click it to install EULA that you approved sometimes in the past to put something else on your machine that you considered worth-while.

Then they hid the Borg code, or else simply sent it as part of a re-re-re-send of an old KB.

Microsoft may need to update your system to provide you with those updates. By accepting this agreement, you agree to receive these types of automatic updates without any additional notice.

Remember them words, because you already have your eyeball drilled and projector lens all installed and there is an awkward antenna sticking out of your bum right now.  

And they will finish the job later on this fall when they have the time (and think they have the drivers) to fully activate you completely, Monsieur la petite Borgette that you now are.

Meanwhile, please enjoy being "mostly" benevolently monitored and controlled, for your own good of course.

Lips Sealed

No one has noticed any activity in Vista or XP at this point in time, but since the plan apparently is to switch you out completely then these old OS systems may not stop MS from going forward later on as apparently they want to do a clean sweep on all potential machines to widen their user base as much as possible.    And remember, XP has a 25% market share still, so MS can't afford to just ignore them.

« Last Edit: 09/13/15 at 11:40:51 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 09/13/15 at 07:28:51

And always remember,
We should never even consider any of these
Wild conspiracy theories.

For to do so would lead us to the obvious truths.
Just believe as you're told.
I'm gonna post a clip of a marine and a D.C.think tank clown on the
Tall table.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 09/13/15 at 14:39:48

The financial benefit to MS in rolling you into Win 10 (even against your will) means they only have to support one driver base, one set of upgrades, one set of security updates and one panic reaction plan in case something goes tits up.   They save money that way.

They also get to sell you piecemeal to whomever, plus they can use your bandwidth and router and internet connection to push out all these massive massive nightly updates.

Also, they can farm out "pay me" data processing work to your machine at night for some pay me style number crunching.

Plus, more importantly perhaps, MS gets to claim REALLY BIG market share numbers and they get to be a big dog again instead of being just the whipped cur of computing.

Microsoft is shooting for a Billion devices running Win 10 by the end of next year.   Put it in perspective, please -- Android sold 1.1 billion phones in 2014 and even more in 2015, so MS is trying to swag in their entire relatively recent production history to get an equal sized number, never mind that some of the devices were actually produced 9 years ago.

So, Microsoft was being faced with irrelevance, and they have now taken desperate action in the conniving Win 10 push through to counter that growing feeling of irrelevance.  

And they are willing to accept extreme risk levels in some of the things they are doing to create those big numbers.

« Last Edit: 09/13/15 at 16:05:06 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 09/13/15 at 17:01:30

Interesting perspective. Requires a grasp of the overall situation. And that requires a lot of time spent keeping up. I spent that kinda time studying political and economic stuff. Doesnt take long of looking the other way till it's changed... The basics remain the same, but, current events change.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #19 - 09/13/15 at 21:01:37

Pease do this Signor Pescatori, I really want to know.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #20 - 09/14/15 at 05:39:34

Ok, time for the "out on a limb" predictions

Microsoft, having proven out the tech, is going to go after Vista and XP machines that still have auto update still turned on.   Actually, MS has proven they really can still push to your machine if you have auto update turned OFF, but they may need some new hooks put in the older machines for them to start to do this freely.

Prediction:   That last largest crop of 48 XP updates that got pushed out just two weeks ago included the  "Microsoft may need to update your system to provide you with those updates. By accepting this agreement, you agree to receive these types of automatic updates without any additional notice." click to start approval verbiage and the first of the hooks needed to access your machine freely are already in place.  

You did this pretty much in ignorance, but yes, you did it.    You are already a low level Borgette, but it isn't showing for much yet.

To gain financial benefit from you, MS does not need to give you all of Win 10, they can give you the Borg package instead and get all the goodie from you that way while NOT HAVING TO GO INTO THE HASSLES OF REINVENTING ALL THOSE STRANGE OBSOLETE XP DRIVERS.    You get minimum to no benefits and MS still gets maximum usage of your personal data, your internet connection and your computing equipment.

Serobot asked a little while back "What's with this large 48 item update that got pushed to my XP machine?'

I think this might possibly be a potential answer to his question.   MS needed to put access hooks into your machine and they rode those hooks in on a Critical Security Update that you physically installed because MS said they needed to patch your XP machine for "serious issues".   And indeed, they may have sent a few "fix an issue" things along with the patches, but some of those 48 items were your pre-Borg nanites.

Serobot is now SeroBOT, welcome to the collective --- your charging station is over there against the wall.

"Microsoft may need to update your system to provide you with those updates.   By accepting this agreement, you agree to receive these types of automatic updates without any additional notice."   Having clicked to accept this verbiage just one time, then you will never see another update again -- they will all happen invisibly.

People are reporting their XP machine suddenly getting all slow on them at times ..... wonder what that might be?

Huh

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #21 - 09/14/15 at 11:43:32

I for one went over my data limit (we live in the country...satellite only) this month and I called the provider and she confirmed it was windows updates that did it.

I DO NOT want W10 and haven't looked at the downloaded files yet, so my question is what do I delete or 'finnagle' to STOP or PREVENT it from loading?

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 09/14/15 at 13:07:22

Stew,

It is too late ---- Microsoft has already downloaded the files to turn you into a Borg.    They are in there on your machine already and you are getting the stream of  (nightly nightmare) updates.   Kiss your data cap good-by.

People had some thoughts about how they could stop the process, but Microsoft very quickly stepped right around those motions and reinstall the things that they had deleted and reactivated the things that they had turned off.  

So they deleted and turned things off again and Microsoft reinstalled and turned things back on again.  

And then Microsoft began locking the settings on them as Verslagen noticed and pointed out.

Microsoft controls your machine now -- not you.

"Trust us." Sez Microsoft ......

Roll Eyes

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 09/14/15 at 13:14:03

I got the kindle locally, some electronic devices store,, and know zero about the OS or if I'm in danger of, already Borged, or can prevent it.
Your patience with me is appreciated.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #24 - 09/14/15 at 13:21:05

Justin, your Kindle runs Amazon's flavor of Android.  This is not a Microsoft product.  The only people you need to be afraid of is Amazon because they are tracking your buying habits and everything else through that tablet.   However Amazon's only interested in your buying habits and they don't get so deep into your knickers like Microsoft does.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #25 - 09/14/15 at 13:31:11

Tony Stark says "Linux is the only operating system I have found that is secure enough to use in my armor."

Perhaps the EU will straighten MS out, or not  .... the Russians and Germans are just going to ban it like they did Win 8 and use Linux.

(Germany is working on a German National Operating System which shares code from both Unix and Linux -- smells sorta Apple scented if you know what I mean)

Smiley

« Last Edit: 09/14/15 at 14:56:33 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 09/14/15 at 13:40:48

Thank you, I am much comforted...

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #27 - 09/14/15 at 17:33:02

http://www.zdnet.com/article/my-biggest-problem-with-windows-10-stability/

Why is this important?   The person writing this article is Mary Jo Foley (Miss Microsoft) and she's not happy with Win 10 because it isn't stable enough for her to use.  

1 month in and it's still not working right and Microsoft can't fix it and Mary Jo's beginning to say that bluntly.

"On my Windows 10 machine, this is how I've come to start my day: I slowly open my laptop lid, cautiously peer at my screen and wonder what is no longer working like it did yesterday.
Some days, I'm pleasantly surprised and things seem stable. But in the past couple weeks, the opposite has been the case. As a result, part of my new morning routine is checking my Windows Update history and my Windows Store app installation history, hoping against hope for clues as to why my machine is not running right.

ONE MONTH IN

This is not OK.

I wasn't a big Windows 8 fan. Being a heavy mouse and keyboard user, I liked 8.1 a bit more. Before installing Windows 10, I was really upbeat about its prospects, and my first few days with the new OS made me bullish.

But Windows 10's lack of stability is really starting to be an issue for me in a way that wasn't my experience on Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1. And based on emails and Twitter messages, I'm getting, I am not alone
."

Mary Jo has just given permission for all the other writers to start bashing on Microsoft to get this s*** fixed.  

Miss Microsoft says it's broken --- why can't you fix it?

« Last Edit: 09/15/15 at 06:50:08 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #28 - 09/15/15 at 06:42:37

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-issues-sidelining-my-surface-3/

Windows 10 glitches have sidelined my Surface 3

OK,  Miss Microsoft has told the world Win 10 is broken (continuously no less) and she's sick of it.   Everyone else is now going to write about their own instability issues now, piling on Microsoft's arse until they start fixing and stabilizing the OS instead of spending all their effort trying to suck more people into it.

This is James Kendrick from Mobile News piling on with this classic "It's Microsoft's very own hardware for chrisssakes !!!"

"In years past, when I talked to others about Windows instability, I would hear that it wasn't Microsoft's fault. There are the hardware vendors, system software, and hardware drivers to blame and this was no doubt part of the problem.

That doesn't apply to my situation with the Surface 3. It's Microsoft's hardware, Microsoft's OS, and Microsoft's responsibility to get the drivers right. On top of that, all of the apps causing my frustration are Microsoft's own. Plus, if the problems arose due to a bad update, that's firmly in Microsoft's lap too.

The fact that my system is all Microsoft makes me think that the company cannot fix Windows, and that makes me both sad and angry."

The point that Mary Jo and James make is very clear -- it used to work correctly, but as MS wags in all these endless nightly fudge patches reliability has gone out window and the stuff just doesn't work right any more.

Hell, I blame it on the Borg -- they run some really alien software and it must be bleeding over into the MS OS since they are lying in bed with the Borg now.

Did Satya actually forget the Borg mantra?   Resistance is futile -- you will be assimilated.   Maybe the Borg feel that their mantra applies equally to MS just as well as all the human customers they have been injecting of late.

Satya, did you even feel the needles in your neck when you got your Borg injection?

Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: 09/15/15 at 08:33:08 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #29 - 09/15/15 at 07:00:53

Here is MS's real dilemma.   Kendrick went back to his Chromebook and Mary Jo went back to her Mac.   If the message for the readers isn't clear enough, I'll state it more bluntly.

If MS cannot pull their thumb from their own antenna orifice and get their stuff working well, you are going to start to see articles from mainline tech writers on what to do with all the mucked up Win 10 machines that you have in your house right now (since you cannot roll them back any more as the 30 days is up and especially since Win 7 is all Borged up now anyway.   MS has nothing to offer you that is working well at all at this point in time -- not unless you want to go all the way back to XP)

« Last Edit: 09/15/15 at 08:34:25 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 18
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 14:36:58

General CategoryThe Cafe › Microsoft Windows 10 (the ongoing saga)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.