Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Rescue Bike....Bringing a bike out of storage. (Read 681 times)
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: Bringing a bike out of storage.
Reply #15 - 10/01/15 at 00:01:30

Congratulations, may it give you many miles of pleasure.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #16 - 10/01/15 at 00:35:36

Nicely done dave! Looks just like my 2003 now Cool

Am I correct in assuming that you rode it on the original 13 year old tires?

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 10/01/15 at 03:15:34

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/30/15 at 20:13:09:
When it's on the sidestand, exhaust is high,

That is what our current believe is.  There is a small "tub" under the camshaft that holds a pool of oil.  When the bike is on the sidestand that pool is leaning over to the right side....and it may be that the exhaust cam lobe cannot reach the oil surface when the bike is leaning on the side stand.  It may also be that the low oil flow at idle doesn't pump the oil uphill through the hollow camshaft....the oil may all come out the low side of the cam and oil only the intake lobe and rocker.  (I couldn't get either of the original owners to fess up to letting the bike idle for long periods of time on the stand.....but the blue exhaust header sure made me think it was).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 10/01/15 at 03:29:57

Things that I have learned on this so far are:

1)  A low mileage bike doesn't always mean low wear.
2)  It is important not to just dump gas in the tank and try to fire up a bike that has been stored like this.
3)  There are still some very nice people out there.  The original owner really was helpful in getting the title straightened out.

I would also recommend that if anyone finds a bike like this and buys it:

1)  Try and avoid turning the engine over until you can get some "Fogging Oil" into the cylinder.  Once the fogging oil has been in place for a few days - remove the timing port cover and slowly turn the crank over to distribute the oil in the cylinder - and that will also let you know if the engine will turn over smoothly and has any compression.
2)  Don't change the oil filter right away.....leave it in place as it will allow you to get oil pressure quicker than if you take it off and put on a dry filter.  You can change the oil if you want....but don't remove the filter cover.
3)  Clean the carb....although it won't hurt to try and make it run with the carb the way it was.  If the carb was not run out of fuel or drained...it is going to need a good cleaning.
4)  Remove the rear wheel and clean the rust out of the brake.
5)  I only found out about the worn rocker when fixing the oil leak.  If I had not removed the head cap to fix the oil leak....I most likely would have spent time trying to figure out why the engine was so noisy.  I am not sure how long the engine would have continued to run with the worn rocker....or how long it would have taken me to chase down the noise.
6)  Based on the hesitation/surging just off idle - I need to try 2 washers.  My other bike ran best with the #50 pilot, #150 main and 2 washers on the needle....I should have tried that instead of going to 3 washers.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 10/01/15 at 05:39:39

Boogie_with_Stu wrote on 10/01/15 at 00:35:36:
Am I correct in assuming that you rode it on the original 13 year old tires?

Yea....because it was in storage out of the sunlight, and the garage was insulated, the tires actually look good.  They aren't weathered and don't have any cracks or splits anywhere.

I do realize they aren't fresh anymore, and I won't ride too quickly or expect them to be good in the rain.  On my ride last night I could hear them growling as I rode around corners....I believe the rubber may be a bit hard and as not as compliant as when they were new.  I don't see any reason to buy new tires when the bike will go into winter storage in a couple months.  I can wait for the spring tire sales!

When winter arrives I will spend time getting the bike cleaned up as much as I can....for the next month or two I will just work on making sure it is in good mechanical shape and ready for reliable riding.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 10/12/15 at 05:46:47

Last week I changed the oil and filter on the bike - the original oil was pretty black so this oil change was done after only a 100 miles in an attempt to "flush" out the dirt.  That is the nice thing about Rotella T....an oil change is only about $ 6.00.

Yesterday I took the front brake pads out as they were squealing and I put in new Organic pads and the squeal is gone.  I siphoned the blackish brake fluid out of the reservoir, then added new brake fluid and flushed the old fluid out of the system until the fluid came out clear.

I went for a long ride in the afternoon, and with each ride I was becoming a bit more comfortable with the bike and pushed it a little harder around the curves.  I did notice that when you hit a bump in the curves.....this bike wiggles around a bit and is not as stable as my Cafe' conversion.  Then as I was going around one smooth sweeper.....I felt the back tire slide! Shocked  I guess I have explored the "sticky limit" for 13 year old tires.....I will be replacing them in the early spring, as I never see the benefit in putting fresh rubber on so the bike can sit in the garage all winter.

Happy Ending?  Yea, I believe the bike has turned out just fine.  It still needs a bit of polishing to remove some of the corrosion - however it is pretty presentable for a 13 year old motorcycle.

IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #21 - 12/15/15 at 10:33:57

Also runs hotter on exhaust side than intake.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 12/15/15 at 11:14:58

Savageman wrote on 12/15/15 at 10:33:57:
Also runs hotter on exhaust side than intake.

I am not convinced the heat from the valve stem is going to transfer through the valve stem tips, through the valve lash adjustment screws into the rocker arm - then travel the length of the rocker arm to heat up the wear surface on the exhaust rocker.  Halfway along the length of the rocker arm any extra heat will encounter the rocker shaft.....and I would bet that if any extra heat is available, it would be transferred to the shaft and travel to the head cover - and both the intake rocker and exhaust rocker shafts are mounted within an inch of each other.  (When you get your head apart you will have a better understanding of how the cam/rocker setup works....and you can see how the oil supply comes in on the downhill side of the cam).

IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 12/31/15 at 09:14:21

Kudos on your refurbishing project, Dave!

I have an '82 Yamaha Virago 920 that needs the same level of attention, from carb overhaul to polishing/cleaning accumulated garage dust & grime. (It spent 10 years in a corner of my cousin's tire shop.) I hope it turns out as well as yours.

You were very lucky on the title. I bought a bike when at Ft. Sill, OK, only to find that the seller had never transferred the title. The original owner was a G.I. and had since been transferred to parts unknown. Had to find a "semi-shadey" notary at a used car lot to notarize the signature, then pay 7 years of Oklahoma taxes when I titled & licensed it. Compared to that, buying dinner was a bargain. {But a fine gesture, nonetheless... Smiley }

IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Re: Rescue Bike....Bringing a bike out of storage.
Reply #24 - 08/30/17 at 05:27:24

Nice work!!

1999 Savage, basically stock, except drag bars, 4"risers,Jardine turn out muffler, Raptor petcock, Verslagen modified cam chain adjuster,4" forward controls
  IP Logged
TC
YaBB Newbies

All you gotta do is
jump.

Thousand Oaks, CA
Reply #25 - 08/30/17 at 21:43:15

Thanks for the thorough work you put into this post Dave.  I will be going through a similar process on my 2006 that has been neglected the past couple years.  Garaged and covered, but not run.  3 jobs and no extra income doesn't bode well for a bike that needs time and a little money.  
Fortunately I'm down to 2 jobs and up on the income side of things! Smiley

2006 S40/Black/Biltwell Keystones/Reversed Drag Risers/Gaiters/Raptor/Dyna/Belt guard Delete/Engine Guard Delete/Bates Tail Light/Side Mount Vertical License
  IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #26 - 06/02/18 at 20:42:04

Great post Dave! Thank you, very good info on bringing a bike back after a long "hibernation!
I was fortunate enough to pick up a pair (1987 & a 1988) last year

. Fogging oil in the cylinders, and pulled 1 of the carbs is all the further i have gotten to date. Busy with work, family, and life
Mike

1999 Savage, basically stock, except drag bars, 4"risers,Jardine turn out muffler, Raptor petcock, Verslagen modified cam chain adjuster,4" forward controls
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 19:35:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rescue Bike....Bringing a bike out of storage.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.