Top engine noise? (Read 110 times)
Jmagee4life
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Top engine noise?
05/31/18 at 12:33:52

Hello all,

I was riding my 03 recently when I noticed a top engine noise that wasn't there before. After researching on this forum it may be a valve problem or maybe the cam chain. I have a video I can send to anyone of they want to hear the problem, I'm just hoping to get a different set of ears on it, on which knows way more about the bike than I do. If you can please help.

Thanks!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Top engine noise?
Reply #1 - 05/31/18 at 12:44:36

Information is sometimes better than what we can hear on a video , like how many miles on the bike , have you ever checked to see how far the cam chain tensioner is out, or modified it, what brand and weight oil are you using ,When was the last time you set your valve clearances, does the noise vary with rpms, what is your general location?  etc.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Jmagee4life
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/31/18 at 13:38:47

The bike has a little over 5,000 miles on it. I haven't checked the cam chain or set the valves. I've only owned the bike for about 2 months. I'm doing a oil change tomorrow (most likely) and will be using Castrol 10w-40  4t when I do it. Just changed the plug yesterday, so that's brand new.  The noise does change when the engine is revved.  And the bike and I are in NJ.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/31/18 at 18:51:22

Study oil threads .
These are old designs.
Different requirements for the oil.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 05/31/18 at 22:59:23

well with that low mileage I don't think it's the chain /tensioner (unless you take many short trips,  or don't keep your idle speed up)But you don't know if the vales have ever been adjusted ?  I would look there first,It takes time for the tips of adjustment screw  to fully harden on a new bike ,this happens because the tip off the screw strikes the top of the valve stem  200.000 times an hour at 60 mph. this opens the adjustment and may make more valve noise. If not look for things that vibrate ,headlight ,speedo, chrome engine covers.

IP Logged
Jmagee4life
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/01/18 at 05:27:14

I done it in traffic some with the bike. And if I do any highway riding its only to and from work for about 20 minutes. Running around town I do encounter more stop and go traffic then I'd like too. Would that stretch the tensioner out that much?

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 06/01/18 at 06:30:12

Sounds like the noise is new and right after a plug change?
Did you blow out the debris from around the plug before removing it?
Any issues when threading the plug in?
Is the sound a scraping, clatter, roar, puffing etc?

Wondering if the plug may not be seated all the way, but don't overdo it; it's not necessary.  Just enough to crush the washer and snug it up.
Or if a big chunk of something fell in the hole when changing the plug.  Little pieces of asphalt, sand etc can collect around plug on the head.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Jmagee4life
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/01/18 at 08:58:24

The noise was there  before the plug swap, so I don't think it was that, but I'll give it a look again to make sure it's snugged up.  The sound is definitely a knock/ping.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 06/01/18 at 14:57:20

I4L Short trips are more like your 20 mile trip to work ,the bike heats up , then cools off ,that is when the tensioner can expand and when you restart the bike and it reaches temp again the chain stretches. You might try running a tank full of high octane gas(ethanol free) through the bike to see if that pinging stops.( you may have picked up some bad fuel.

IP Logged
Jmagee4life
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/02/18 at 12:44:42

I'll give the gas a shot. My big question is though, if I have this noise is the bike still rideable? I don't want to damage the engine at all, and if it is the tensioner I shouldn't be riding until I check that out right? Also, oil is changed and didn't help the sound. Don't know if that helps or not.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 06/02/18 at 20:10:11

I don't believe it's the tensioner ,that problem usually doesn't pop up until 10or 15,000 miles , but if you place your foot  or a gloved hand on the right side case and you feel vibration ,(other than the piston) I'd check it.

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #11 - 06/02/18 at 22:29:27

Your bike may just be sounding normal.
Have someone else with a Savage hear your motor

IP Logged
Jmagee4life
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 06/03/18 at 05:20:10

I'm totally down with that. If there are any NJ owners around PM or email me, or I can easily send the video I have to anyone also

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 06/03/18 at 06:23:48

At 5,000 miles, it's time to have a look at the valves.
It's a P.I.T.A. the first few times, but becomes routine in time.

Before you pop the tank off you're gonna want a place to set it down and no bend the speedometer cable up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 22:29:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Top engine noise?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.